Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OEM factory rock sliders

jadmt

Reaction score
I wish you would have posted these pictures earlier on Saturday! I took mine off and sold them and it took me a few minutes to figure out how to get the pinch weld bolts out. I had to reach my fingers in the hole, find the bolt head, use a wobbler extension and a 10mm socket to remove them. They were surprisingly stout, but not close to what I would consider a "real" rock slider.
are the 10mm bolts just regular nuts and bolts? I found a set I am buying that the guy had taken off and he said he had no hardware with them. I know they use the same bolts as oem steps in the nutserts but not sure about he bolts for the pinch seams. thanks

Wobly

Reaction score
are the 10mm bolts just regular nuts and bolts? I found a set I am buying that the guy had taken off and he said he had no hardware with them. I know they use the same bolts as oem steps in the nutserts but not sure about he bolts for the pinch seams. thanks
They would be regular bolts. The holes in the steps/sliders are threaded. You will need 12 of them and the correct washers. The 13 mm bolts go straight into the nutserts/rivnuts that should already be in the body. If they aren't there, they aren't too hard to put in.
Strange that he would take them off and not have the hardware.

jadmt

Reaction score
I have the rivnuts installed already. I did that when I put on the mopar steps. He said the shop that removed them to put AMP power steps on did not give him any hardware. Do you off the top of your head now the size and thread pitch on the smaller bolts? I have the 13mm body bolts already. thanks

Wobly

Reaction score
I have the rivnuts installed already. I did that when I put on the mopar steps. He said the shop that removed them to put AMP power steps on did not give him any hardware. Do you off the top of your head now the size and thread pitch on the smaller bolts? I have the 13mm body bolts already. thanks
No, unfortunately, I don't. They weren't anything unusual. I would make sure they are stainless or coated, though.

Last edited:

Wobly

Reaction score
@Wobly Willing to share how much you got for them? Planning to sell them if I get one with them. Wondering what value people have seen.
I listed them for $800 and sold them for $500. But, I have seen them anywhere from $350 to $1100, depending on the market and demand.

jadmt

Reaction score
I just scored a set for $300. I had to drive 170 miles to get them but worth it. they were brand new take offs. The gentleman replaced them with some power steps. I found them on the Spokane craigslist.

Iowagon

Reaction score
Being in Iowa where we have no rocks, can you educate me on what these do or why have these instead of the tube step?

Thanks!

jadmt

Reaction score
Being in Iowa where we have no rocks, can you educate me on what these do or why have these instead of the tube step?

Thanks!
I think if you don't go offroad tube steps are fine. if you don't know if you need them again tube steps will be fine. the 75 anniversary sliders are kind of a between tube steps and real rock sliders. For me they are perfect. They do look a lot better than the mopar tube steps they replaced.

desert_wagon

Reaction score
Just as a point of reference, each rock slider must be capable of supporting the weight of the vehicle. That is a standard for rock sliders, anything else is steps.

jadmt

Reaction score
mopar actually did a good of designing these and with the bends they will be stronger than they look. While they might not protect while slipping off a large boulder full force they will protect sliding over rocks. We pounded our oem rubicon sliders pretty good and these are a similar design but actually look to be stronger due to the bends. Again if you are going to go off high dive or something like that probably not the steps for you but if you are doing most sane stuff they will be 100X better than nothing.

Airmousam

Reaction score
As far as actual "from the factory" rock sliders...they are the best I've seen...many better after market options out there, but these smoke the ones on my ZR2....granted I sold both sets but the 75A ones look pretty damn good and were pretty robust...

Russty__

Reaction score
Picked up a set of OEM “rock rails” as well. I don’t play to wheel that hard to need true frame sliders. Had them on my Toyota and they were great but don’t plan on wheeling the PW that hard. That being said, I have no rivnuts under my truck. Holes are there but no threads, I picked up the “mounting kit” today from the dealership. So the rivnuts just sit in there? Or do you feed them in from behind?

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Picked up a set of OEM “rock rails” as well. I don’t play to wheel that hard to need true frame sliders. Had them on my Toyota and they were great but don’t plan on wheeling the PW that hard. That being said, I have no rivnuts under my truck. Holes are there but no threads, I picked up the “mounting kit” today from the dealership. So the rivnuts just sit in there? Or do you feed them in from behind?
There is a rivnut installation tool. It looks makeshift but it works. Grease it. A lot. Put the rivnut in the hex hole and tighten it until it’s squished and seated. May want to pull up a video but it’s easy

jadmt

Reaction score
also use a torque wrench and torq the rivnut tool to ~20 ft/lbs. you do not want to over tighten the rivnuts when installing them. the actual instructions say 25 nm wich is ~19 ft/lbs

Users who are viewing this thread