Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OEM factory rock sliders

Russty__

Reaction score
Ok, thanks. Is it possible to fit an actual rivnut tool up in there?

Russty__

Reaction score
Got them on, ended up just using the rivnut tool that came with the mounting kit I scooped from RAM. It was a PITA, mainly because I only have a 8" ratchet, I think if I had more leverage It would of been easier. Also could only get 11 of the 12 smaller bolts that go through the pinch welds in. The last one was at a crazy angle I couldnt get the socket around. May mess with it tomorrow or might not, either way these things are super solid.

jadmt

Reaction score
Use a 10mm nut driver for the smaller bolts and use anti-seize on all the bolts.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Use a 10mm nut driver for the smaller bolts and use anti-seize on all the bolts.
You can tell you’re from a good ways north of where I’m from. I put blue loctite on all my step hardware and bolts. Lol no salt no rust down here

jadmt

Reaction score
You can tell you’re from a good ways north of where I’m from. I put blue loctite on all my step hardware and bolts. Lol no salt no rust down here
blue locktite works as anti seize as well. I use both liberally on anything that has threads :). in the winter they use magnesium chloride for de-icing, nasty stuff for sure.

GeneralClortho

Reaction score
Much like the rock rails on the Wrangler Rubicon, I feel like these are a fail. Yes, I am sure they are better than nothing and probably function in a one dimensional aspect, but a far cry from what they should be. On my Wrangler, I am running ACE sliders which have a similar design as the White Knuckle ones with a primary tube along the body and a secondary tube that sticks out maybe 8" or so. When off-roading, I hear "clang" and "ting" quite often as the front tires kick up rocks or sticks into the secondary tube which deflects it from the body. Also, if you are in an off-camber climb and slid sideways into a tree, the single tube design is almost useless. With the secondary tube design, you can use it to pivot off a tree or rock without smacking your door or panels on it.

jadmt

Reaction score
Much like the rock rails on the Wrangler Rubicon, I feel like these are a fail. Yes, I am sure they are better than nothing and probably function in a one dimensional aspect, but a far cry from what they should be. On my Wrangler, I am running ACE sliders which have a similar design as the White Knuckle ones with a primary tube along the body and a secondary tube that sticks out maybe 8" or so. When off-roading, I hear "clang" and "ting" quite often as the front tires kick up rocks or sticks into the secondary tube which deflects it from the body. Also, if you are in an off-camber climb and slid sideways into a tree, the single tube design is almost useless. With the secondary tube design, you can use it to pivot off a tree or rock without smacking your door or panels on it.
probably depends on how hardcore you are. I have done most of the trails in Moab (go there 2X a year) with the exception of BFE, the rubicon trail, the dusy ershim all of the san juan Colorado trails and never had an issue. you can pivot with stock rubicon rails. Everyone has their own comfort level and I would be comfortable with these on all but the hardcore trails which it is going to be too wide for anyway..

GeneralClortho

Reaction score
probably depends on how hardcore you are. I have done most of the trails in Moab (go there 2X a year) with the exception of BFE, the rubicon trail, the dusy ershim all of the san juan Colorado trails and never had an issue. you can pivot with stock rubicon rails. Everyone has their own comfort level and I would be comfortable with these on all but the hardcore trails which it is going to be too wide for anyway..
Good points all around. I will be picking up a set if my truck ever gets built and arrives. I guess it could be considered one of those mods that you may never use but when you need it, it is worth every penny...kind of like a winch. I had to go get help three times where a winch would have gotten me out. So, I put a 10k winch on my Wrangler and in 4 years, have never had to use it, lol...figures.

PW_SOCAL

Reaction score
i would love for someone to post a video explaining how to install the 75ae steps. :)

jadmt

Reaction score
i would love for someone to post a video explaining how to install the 75ae steps. :)
do not take this the wrong way but it is so simple if you need a video you might want to pay someone to do it. Seriously if you can rotate your tires without cross threading a lug nut you can install the 75'a steps. hold in place install bolts. I used a floor jack and two jackstands to hold it in place until I got 2 bolts started, one on each end.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
do not take this the wrong way but it is so simple if you need a video you might want to pay someone to do it. Seriously if you can rotate your tires without cross threading a lug nut you can install the 75'a steps. hold in place install bolts. I used a floor jack and two jackstands to hold it in place until I got 2 bolts started, one on each end.
I agree. It’s one of those “if you have to ask” situations.

PW_SOCAL

Reaction score
Picked up a set for 200 bucks, cost 140 to ship. Having a real tough time getting those rivnuts seated. Any help would be appreciated

PW_SOCAL

Reaction score
It's the rivnuts not seating properly is all, very simple install it seems like. those things are giving me trouble

Users who are viewing this thread