Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OEM factory rock sliders

michael

Reaction score
Anyone have thoughts on OEM factory rock rails on 2021 Ram Power wagon. ? Curious on quality compared to frame-mounted White Knuckle rock rails.
Are the factory rock rails frame mounted or attached to body ?

pdavey

Reaction score
I have the WK sliders and you could lift the truck with them.

From the looks of the ones they are putting on the 75th anniversary edition from the factory they won't be nearly as strong.

That said jeeps have used pinch weld sliders for some time and they do provide some degree of protection but I wouldn't call them sliders.

I guess the good news on the factory ones is they won't weigh as heavily on the truck as the WK or maple off road ones will.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

michael

Reaction score
Thanks, i was just able to look at the rock rail on the 75th anniversary power wagon. The rail appears to be just cosmetic. Made of some kind of plastic or composite. This would not do the job if needed out on the trail.

Airmousam

Reaction score
They are not plastic for sure...40lbs each...they mount to the body and pinch welds

pdavey

Reaction score
So at 40 lbs they must be sheet metal or aluminum.

Definitely meant for the casual glance or mall crawling not heavy offroading.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

jadmt

Reaction score
They are similar to jeep jk rubicon rails and those are much tougher than people think, now granted a pw weighs ~1500lbs more give or take but these are still light years ahead in protection compared to iem tube steps or nothing. Still no replacement for real sliders for true rock crawling Tho but for what many do they are great.

sdu

Reaction score
They are similar to jeep jk rubicon rails and those are much tougher than people think, now granted a pw weighs ~1500lbs more give or take but these are still light years ahead in protection compared to iem tube steps or nothing. Still no replacement for real sliders for true rock crawling Tho but for what many do they are great.
Did you get them? I'm interested. I want something to protect against rocks thrown up by the tires without losing ground clearance.

jadmt

Reaction score
Did you get them? I'm interested. I want something to protect against rocks thrown up by the tires without losing ground clearance.
have not found any close yet.

Airmousam

Reaction score
I sold mine but when I had them they offer little protection from crap being thrown up from the tires...better than nothing I suppose

michael

Reaction score
I am still on the fence on getting the factory rails. I dont intend to do any rock climbing but if i ever get into a tight spot where it will rub, I would hope it would have a decent degree of protection like WK.

Airmousam

Reaction score
They'll protect even pretty hard rubs and they look really cool...they're 40lbs each..would have kept them, but wife 5' 2" and hated them

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
40lb each is heavy. if that’s true, they’re beefy.

For example: 1.75” x.120 wall 1020 DOM tubing weighs right at 2lb per linear foot and it has a yield strength of 80,000psi, IIRC. That material what I build rock sliders and roll cages out of.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
40lb each is heavy. if that’s true, they’re beefy.

For example: 1.75” x.120 wall 1020 DOM tubing weighs right at 2lb per linear foot and it has a yield strength of 80,000psi, IIRC. That material what I build rock sliders and roll cages out of.

For reference, my white knuckle sliders are about 130lb each if I remember correctly.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
For reference, my white knuckle sliders are about 130lb each if I remember correctly.
Yea that’s about right. They’re 1/4” wall main tubes and .120 or .188 secondary tubes depending on how you order them, I believe

Last edited:

sceptre155

Reaction score
They mount to the backside of the rockers, and thru the pinch weld. The brackets I believe are Steel, and the boards are Aluminum.

Wobly

Reaction score
I wish you would have posted these pictures earlier on Saturday! I took mine off and sold them and it took me a few minutes to figure out how to get the pinch weld bolts out. I had to reach my fingers in the hole, find the bolt head, use a wobbler extension and a 10mm socket to remove them. They were surprisingly stout, but not close to what I would consider a "real" rock slider.

Users who are viewing this thread