Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Octane requirements for the 6.4 Hemi???

AnywhereInTX

Reaction score
Use 87 for everyday driving. If I were to push the engine (can't think of a reason to be thrashing a PW off the redline), I'd try to get the mix to be around the 89. Biggest thing is no codes and modern ECMs will keep the engine safe.

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
my 2020 owners manual says 87 and no mention of 89. Page 471.

6.4L ENGINE
Do not use E-85 flex fuel or ethanol blends
greater than 15% in this engine.
This engine is designed to meet all emissions regulations and provide satisfactory fuel economy and performance when using high quality
unleaded gasoline having a posted octane number range of 87 as specified by the (R+M)/2 method.
While operating on gasoline with an octane number of 87, hearing a light knocking sound from the engine is not a cause for concern. However, if the engine is heard making a heavy knocking sound, see dealer immediately. Use of gasoline with an octane number lower than 87 can cause engine failure and may void or not be covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
I have a 2020 with the 6.4 and the owners manual says 89 octane is recommended.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
91 is ethanol free here so that's what it gets. No ethanol will touch my engines.
I used to believe that too but after actually testing the fuel i have yet to find a local station that actually has 91 that tests how 91 should most endup testing at 89 octane and containing about 5% ethanol

whitexc

Reaction score
I used to believe that too but after actually testing the fuel i have yet to find a local station that actually has 91 that tests how 91 should most endup testing at 89 octane and containing about 5% ethanol
And we get charged the premium for this so called special blend.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
has anybody try add regular 85 and just add octane boost additive?
I mentioned it in your other post, but I run 85 all the time. Granted, I'm in Colorado so the altitude allegedly has some impact on how that performs, but I've had no issues following this approach through multiple Hemi's.

ckreef

Reaction score
We don't have 85 octane where I live. 87, 89, or 93.

60_Driver

Reaction score
I’ve been running 87 in mine since I got it in November of 2019. Haven’t noticed any issues around town or pulling a 7k lb camper into the mountains of NH & VT. So weird that they have conflicting info online & in print manuals...

Somewhat on the same topic - how bad is Sam’s Club gas? I know top tier brands are the best stuff, but is Sam’s as bad as the El Cheapo stations I used to see in GA?

mwalsh9152

Reaction score
I’ve been running 87 in mine since I got it in November of 2019. Haven’t noticed any issues around town or pulling a 7k lb camper into the mountains of NH & VT. So weird that they have conflicting info online & in print manuals...

Somewhat on the same topic - how bad is Sam’s Club gas? I know top tier brands are the best stuff, but is Sam’s as bad as the El Cheapo stations I used to see in GA?
Just about all gas comes from the same depo's these days. The only difference is the additive package that gets mixed in when it is pumped into the truck.

I use 100% Mobil gas in my Caddy because I have a fuel card for work, but aside from that, I always prefer the unbranded stations for the cost savings. Ive never noticed an issue with it. I wouldn't worry about using the Costco gas.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score

Costco is part of the TopTier branded family.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Not so worried about the top tier situation but I use 89 exclusively in my truck.

smaller companies get their gas from the same places that big companies do. I worked at Racetrac for years and they’re not a top tier brand but QuikTrip, their main competitor in this market, is. We got all our gas from marathon so we were selling top tier gas, we just didn’t have the logo

Wack99

Reaction score
Have always ran premium, it runs way cleaner.
When I still had my 04 hemi last year I had to have the heads off for a cam follower swap, the tops of pistons were still as shiney as the day it left the factory.

Users who are viewing this thread