Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Octane requirements for the 6.4 Hemi???

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
Getting ready to pull the trigger on ordering a 2020 2500 Mega Cab with the Hemi. I would like to know what the actual octane requirements are. Some websites say it uses premium gas. I have seen postings in this forum that say you can use regular but mid grade is preferred. Who has a 2019 with the Hemi and what do you use? What does the owner manual say should be used? Frustrating as I cant seem to get a straight answer from the dealer (they say they think its premium). HELP!

oaklandopen

Reaction score
Mid and top tier, all the time. Did that with my 5.7s as well

jkbrereton

Reaction score
I use premium in all my vehicles. I noticed a difference in my old Jeep (modified) and started using it religiously. I'm sure 87 octane is fine in the Dodge.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

brucie

Reaction score
I have 2000+ miles on mine and all but one tank have been 87 octane. When I ran the tank of premium I noticed no improvement in either mileage or performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
Getting ready to pull the trigger on ordering a 2020 2500 Mega Cab with the Hemi. I would like to know what the actual octane requirements are. Some websites say it uses premium gas. I have seen postings in this forum that say you can use regular but mid grade is preferred. Who has a 2019 with the Hemi and what do you use? What does the owner manual say should be used? Frustrating as I cant seem to get a straight answer from the dealer (they say they think its premium). HELP!

I have 17,000 miles on mine and have run 87 exclusively. I don't tow, but if I did, I would probably run premium while towing. Mine seems to run fine on 87.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I run 87, but only use Top Tier Gas...
Running premium does nothing but lighten your wallet...

Top Tier Gas

brucie

Reaction score
I follow the manual and stick with 89. These trucks are big investments, why chance burning a piston when loaded...

View attachment 1712
87 Octane gas is perfectly acceptable to use according to the passage you posted. If you lose a piston, it isn't going to be because of 87 octane gas was used, loaded or not. You get a few more horsepower and a tiny improvement in gas mileage with 89 octane or as the manual says, "optimum performance and mileage."

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I ran 89 in my 2019 to see if there was any appreciable difference in at least mileage... the cost difference far exceeded any 'optimum mileage'
I would add that recommended is not the same as required... additionally they would have to prove the gas was the cause for the failure.
They can't say you can use 87 on one line and then say it will cause engine failure...

Don't buy cheap crappy gas at wally-world and buy Top Tier and you will be fine...

brucie

Reaction score
I ran 89 in my 2019 to see if there was any appreciable difference in at least mileage... the cost difference far exceeded any 'optimum mileage'
I would add that recommended is not the same as required... additionally they would have to prove the gas was the cause for the failure.
They can't say you can use 87 on one line and then say it will cause engine failure...

Don't buy cheap crappy gas at wally-world and buy Top Tier and you will be fine...
They don't say using 87 octane will cause engine failure. The say under 87 octane could. You see a lot of stations that sell 85 octane out west. Maybe because of the altitude. Not a good idea to use in most vehicles. Not sure why they sell it other than to advertise a low price. It is really a rip off because modern vehicles should not run it. It was originally allowed in high altitude areas because carbureted vehicles could deal with it. They couldn't deny a warranty claim for using 87 octane gas because they tell you it is OK to use it. If they did, it would be because of bad gas and then you would have an insurance claim.

AndyS

Reaction score
They say 87 acceptable, 89 recommended and DO NOT USE E85. So other than the fill up by the dealer when I bought the truck, I've been using 89. I use the Gas Buddy app on my iphone to check prices in whatever area I happen to be.

AndyS

Reaction score
2019 manual says 89. I wonder what changed in the 2020's?
122091461_3389628551123955_4553798245563368296_o.jpg

jkbrereton

Reaction score
I don't think it requires anything special. I always put 93 in all my vehicles. I had found it made my old Jeep run better

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

MikeXM

Reaction score
87 should be fine unless you are towing and/or driving hard. At high RPM it may cause knocking, sensors will detect and power will be reduced.
89 to be on the safe side. Over that is wasted money.
91+ if you are using a tune, like I had in my previous truck.

@JC

Reaction score
91 is ethanol free here so that's what it gets. No ethanol will touch my engines.

Users who are viewing this thread