Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New owner, huge regret after leaving dealership

ansells09

Reaction score
New 2020 Ram 3500 Tradesman 8ft bed owner here. Found a truck I really liked that I bought specifically for towing an rv. Had some cool options for a Tradesman, such as 8in screen with apple CarPlay, led bed lights, cab lights, parking sensors, etc. Looked at it and took it for a quick drive and decided to get it. While driving home I reach down to show my wife the integrated trailer brake and it wasn't there.The dealers website stated it had a trailer brake controller, and while going over the truck I completely overlooked the fact that it wasn't right there by all the other switches. I had already signed all the paperwork and took ownership and I was pretty upset. I checked the website and confirmed the listing said it had one, but the window sticker for the truck obviously does not show it having one. I would have waited for a different truck with one if I had realized before signing. stupid mistake on my part.

question is, has anybody used this OEM part,https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-2020-...960178&hash=item4db1b4410f:g:LJ0AAOSwi5FdCNZg and had any luck with a dealer flashing the computer? I want the OEM but if its not possible I will just get aftermarket. I have been looking at trucks online for a while and I don't remember ever seeing a 2500 or 3500 without a controller, I just assumed they all had them.

Other than the lack of brake controller, im really liking this truck. only thing im going to add is a tonneau cover and maybe running boards. Got it to replace my Titan towing an 8K pound travel trailer, but we are talking about a 10K-12K fifth wheel in the near future and would like the large payload.

Nick

Reaction score
I feel for you .I thought mine came with the TTMS for the trailer and I ordered the truck ! Not there . Now I have to buy the parts and then flash it

AKDoug

Reaction score
Go back to your dealer and make a deal with him. See if they'll sell you the part for cost, let you install it and then have them program it. Never hurts to ask.

Eatonpcat

Reaction score
Go back to your dealer and make a deal with him. See if they'll sell you the part for cost, let you install it and then have them program it. Never hurts to ask.

Agree, Hopefully the dealer will step up! Heavy Duty trucks should all come with trailer brakes, tow mirrors and hitches as standard equipment IMO!

Ickabod

Reaction score
I added the OEM brake controller to my 2019 Ram 1500. Was pretty simple. Just make sure you get the correct one. I believe there are different ones based on if you have air suspension or not, or 12" screen or 8.4. Of course this was for the 1500. The 3500 might be different. Here is the forum thread on 5thGenRam

ansells09

Reaction score
Been trying all morning to get in touch with my salesman or a manager to see if they can help me out. But I found out that eBay link I posted is a dealer about an hour from me. Called and they confirmed that part would plug right up. They said if I bought the part online and installed it they would flash the computer no problem. For 200 bucks I’ll just go that route. I just don’t understand how a nicely trimmed tradesman would be ordered without a brake controller. Should absolutely be standard

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
be sure the ebay unit is the correct year. the 2018 and older brake unit will not fit the bezel opening. they may tell ya it's the right one. I went through 2 of those ebay units before I ordered it through the dealer. the dealer actually got the wrong one as well, the first time, so be careful.

Speedracer93CobraR

Reaction score
That stinks and I hate to hear that for you. It just almost seems like any 2500 and up truck should have the trailer brake. I'm sure there is someone out there that needs a HD truck, but never pulls a trailer. I have just not ever met them.

Additionally, I didn't know you could get a 2500 with the smaller (non flip out, single piece mirror). We picked up two 2020 2500 Tradesman Cummins 4x4 trucks for our business. The CEO went to the dealership and got the deal handled. When I met him to pick up the trucks; I pointed out the mirrors or lack there of. Real bummer and I'm sure we will have to swap them for the better/bigger mirrors pretty soon.

CallMeChris

Reaction score
Back in 2003 I think it was we had a dealer transfer done for a 3500 drw crew cab Cummins in flame red. Had all the paperwork signed and finished while we were waiting on it to get there. Truck pulls up and man was it beautiful! Hopped in it to leave and when I went to back out I noticed it had small non tow mirrors on it. Who the heck orders a dually truck without tow mirrors, you could barely see past the fender bubbles with what was on it. Ended up working a deal with the dealership and paid cost for the mirrors and they installed them for free.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
Agree, Hopefully the dealer will step up! Heavy Duty trucks should all come with trailer brakes, tow mirrors and hitches as standard equipment IMO!

I think Ford and GM do. Not sure why RAM thinks this should be optional or trim bait equipment on an HD? That's like buying a base Wrangler and not getting a removable top.

What kind of bean counting money could they possibly be saving by keeping off manual tow mirrors and a brake controller? Pretty lousy trim bait.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
My last truck was supposed to have tow mirrors and a fold-flat floor. When it showed up at the dealer (it was a dealer trade) it had neither. My dealer had me come in the next day and they pulled the mirrors off another truck on the lot so I didn't have to wait. They cut me a credit for almost $600 for the fold-flat floor. I used that to buy a Rockhard bumper/tire carrier for my LJ from their performance shop. The brake controller will be an easy add on. You will love that truck.

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
Agreed ...go back to dealer and ask about them about adding it. It is worth a discussion and if they don’t offer help I would call FCA corporate and ask for help. Based on the circumstances if you can produce their ad showing it as part of included equipment I’m sure they’ll make it right. If they don’t file a claim with the BBB and that normally will get some type of response.

ansells09

Reaction score
Agreed ...go back to dealer and ask about them about adding it. It is worth a discussion and if they don’t offer help I would call FCA corporate and ask for help. Based on the circumstances if you can produce their ad showing it as part of included equipment I’m sure they’ll make it right. If they don’t file a claim with the BBB and that normally will get some type of response.

Thats what my wife keeps saying. Its on the ad as having a trailer brake, but they put at the bottom of the website in the fine print that they are not responsible for any inaccuracies. and there is also an option to view window sticker for all options, which of course omits the brake controller. I spoke to one of the internet sales guys earlier today and he told me somebody would contact me right back, but nobody ever did. thanks to everyone for the advice.

be sure the ebay unit is the correct year. the 2018 and older brake unit will not fit the bezel opening. they may tell ya it's the right one. I went through 2 of those ebay units before I ordered it through the dealer. the dealer actually got the wrong one as well, the first time, so be careful.

Did you order the part from the same ebay seller, Steve White motors? I called the dealership since its only an hour away from me and gave them my VIN. they came back and said it was a fit.

kristof

Reaction score
I installed one in my 2019 1500 ram. Was super easy to do. But I do have AlfaOBD so no need to go to the dealer to activate it. When I was buying my 2020 2500 tradesman the guy told me trailer brake controller comes standard on all HD

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
Did you order the part from the same ebay seller, Steve White motors? I called the dealership since its only an hour away from me and gave them my VIN. they came back and said it was a fit.

ordered them from a different dealer. i also gave them my vin each time but didn't seem to help lol

Wileykid

Reaction score
I think Ford and GM do. Not sure why RAM thinks this should be optional or trim bait equipment on an HD? That's like buying a base Wrangler and not getting a removable top.

What kind of bean counting money could they possibly be saving by keeping off manual tow mirrors and a brake controller? Pretty lousy trim bait.
On GM, the brake controller is an option, at least on the 2500, although rare to see one without. Bummer of the deal is, if you do not get it from the factory with it, you can not add the OEM afterwards for some reason. At least with RAM you can.

Eatonpcat

Reaction score
On my 2010 Ford F250 Trailer Brake was also just an option. Don't remember if the mirrors were or not.

ansells09

Reaction score
just an update. Manager at the dealership contacted me back today, said he would make it right and get me a brake controller put in. Set up a date for next week to get it done. Maybe ill have the truck broke in by then and can start towing. Thanks everyone for all the advice

Users who are viewing this thread