Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need more towing capacity

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
The cab architecture is dated and badly needs a refresh. The interior design itself is stunning especially in the limited trim, but the lack of a flat floor and the lack of leg room front and back are legitimate drawbacks. My wife’s $40k 1500 is more useful in terms of cab space (groceries) and hauling people around than my $100k 3500 longhorn. Hopefully the refresh will happen soon, along with a new transmission offering (ZF?).

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
I dig the back of this PW over the last F150 except that I wish the single seat was on the passenger side instead…the fold flat “floor” is super sweet, can stash small stuff under it in the field while dogs or whatever are on top.

BikePilot

Reaction score
The Fords are good trucks imo, and if I were after a gasser I'd go for one over the Ram personally. In Diesel I prefer the Ram. In Ram land the 2500s have coil spring rear suspension that can feel a little less stable than leaf springs. It also has relatively low payload. If you want leaf springs opt for a 3500 SRW instead of the 2500.

As for the cabs Ram's Megacab is really useful. The rear seats recline enough to be really comfortable and you still have storage behind the seat. Plenty of leg room front and rear for adults.

Lastly when you are looking at trailers ignore the dry weight as those are usually imaginary figures. Assume you'll be at gross and you'll be pretty close to real life. Don't forget the weight of hitches and everything/everyone who will be in the cab as well. It's surprisingly easy to run out of payload way before you run out of towing capacity.

MarkCO1

Reaction score
We had a 2011 Longhorn, tow package and 4.10 gears. I replaced the bump stops with progressive (Timbren) poly springs and it really helped keep the truck level. Level trailer level truck is a big part of good handing. Our trailer dry, is 6200 lbs and it handled well, mileage was in the 8 to 9 mpg range. We just traded the 2011 in on a 2022, largely because the 2011 had 180K on it, original trans, front end, needed tires and the price of the used 2500s dropped enough I could get a good deal. I've not driven it much, and being a Big Horn, it has less creature comforts, but it is certainly more solid and the power is there as well. I've not towed with it yet, but in a few years we want to get a 5th wheel, so planning ahead instead of rebuilding the 2011. It sure seems like it is a good time to buy a slightly used, or new Ram.

Mdim

Reaction score
1500 trucks have come a long way over the years but its still tough to compare the stability you get when putting weight behind a 2500. Anything above 5K or so and I really try to avoid the half ton. I tow a 9K pound camper behind my 6.4 2500 and it works great. Definitely doesn't lack for power. I'd need to either tow a lot more than that, or a lot more often before I bothered with the issues of a modern diesel.

Finding an affordable one with ACC can definitely be a challenge. Usually by the time options like that are included someone has already sprung for an upper end model with the Cummins and talking big $$; I looked around a long time to find a Hemi Tradesman that was optioned up really well.

That said.....whoever programmed the ACC on these trucks needs to be shot out of a cannon. I've had maybe half a dozen vehicles with the feature and this one is by far the worst. Won't really coast at all, either on the gas or brakes and I've had plenty of cases around other vehicles where it just freaks out and tries to come to a stop...expediently....so just be aware its not all its cracked up to be in this case. Just a really jerky, frustrating experience compared to what I'm used to.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
That said.....whoever programmed the ACC on these trucks needs to be shot out of a cannon. I've had maybe half a dozen vehicles with the feature and this one is by far the worst. Won't really coast at all, either on the gas or brakes and I've had plenty of cases around other vehicles where it just freaks out and tries to come to a stop...expediently....so just be aware its not all its cracked up to be in this case. Just a really jerky, frustrating experience compared to what I'm used to.
Sounds great, awesome to think it could be on the road behind me.

Dave01

Reaction score
Sounds great, awesome to think it could be on the road behind me.
Never going to be a problem if behind you, these trucks with ACC and the collision sensors will put you through the windshield before they let you hit the car ahead of you.

Dave01

Reaction score
I don't disagree, I find it difficult in any changeable traffic. But, I use it all the time, and for following in a lane it works perfectly, it isn't supposed to coast and let you get closer than the distance you dial in. Like I said I agree it's too sensitive, if in a lane and someone pulls into the lane ahead of you, it reacts too suddenly and then there's a delay before it allows you to pick up speed again. I'm still a fan, really enjoy the feature overall.

js4024

Reaction score
I have a 2019 1500 Laramie and still love it. The problem is that my wife is tired of our smallish RV and dragged me to the RV show. She keeps leaning toward 6500 pound trailers and ours is at the very limit already even with an equalizing hitch. I decided that instead of trying to find an identical 2019 Laramie with a 3.92 Axle ratio I would consider moving up to a 2019 2500 Laramie. I found one but the neighbor (huge truck guy but mostly ford) said that the 6.4 L is a dog as far as acceleration. I'm not a lead foot but what I was concerned about is this lifter thing I keep hearing about. Something about roller lifters seizing and burning up the lobe of the camshaft. Anyone who has any experience with the 6.4...how is the power? Is this lifter issue overblown or inevitable? I only have 44K miles but I'm wondering if I'm headed for trouble and maybe move to something else entirely.
BUY A DIESEL!... get a 2500 with a Cummins 6.7. The guys selling you on the 6.4L are doing so because they could not afford the diesel. (SORRY)... But the diesel comes with a price premium. It will serve you well past the time you want to tow a trailer and be worth a LOT more when you want to trade it in on a volvo wagon. The 6.4L has MDS and it will destroy itself after about 85000 miles. The roller bearings on the lifters will fail, and it will then flatten out your camshaft. If you go with the 6.4 L buy the full bumper to bumper max warranty.. YOU WILL Need it!

Mdim

Reaction score
Never going to be a problem if behind you, these trucks with ACC and the collision sensors will put you through the windshield before they let you hit the car ahead of you.
This...if you are in front of me you are all good. Just don't follow too close in case it decides to panic brake for a squirrel or something...:p

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
BUY A DIESEL!... get a 2500 with a Cummins 6.7. The guys selling you on the 6.4L are doing so because they could not afford the diesel. (SORRY)... But the diesel comes with a price premium. It will serve you well past the time you want to tow a trailer and be worth a LOT more when you want to trade it in on a volvo wagon. The 6.4L has MDS and it will destroy itself after about 85000 miles. The roller bearings on the lifters will fail, and it will then flatten out your camshaft. If you go with the 6.4 L buy the full bumper to bumper max warranty.. YOU WILL Need it!
Little off base there buddy, had an ‘08 and ‘10 CTD (Jenny Craig’d) and currently loving my 6.4……….nothing to do with what I could afford.

MDS has nothing to do with the cam/roller issues and will live long past 85k miles.

And let’s not forget that the mighty CTD isn’t perfect, the change from solid lifters to hydraulic back in ‘19 wasn’t all that great and we don’t even need to touch on the emission crap…………

Last edited:

whitexc

Reaction score
Little off base there buddy, had an ‘08 and ‘10 CTD (Jenny Craig’d) and currently loving my 6.4……….nothing to do with what I could afford.

MDS has nothing to do with the cam/roller issues and will live long past 85k miles.

And let’s not forget that the mighty CTD isn’t perfect, the change from solid lifters to hydraulic back in ‘19 wasn’t all that great and we don’t even need to touch on the emission crap…………

They are trolling. Been a few “very helpful” responses in various threads.

Sent from me

Dave01

Reaction score
Hey you do you, buy what you want. Please don't speak for me. For others looking for info in this thread, not really anything in this post worth discussing.

Ewoodard

Reaction score
Better off just ignoring idiots like that guy. Responding to them is just giving them the satisfaction they want.

gimmie11s

Reaction score

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Hey you do you, buy what you want. Please don't speak for me. For others looking for info in this thread, not really anything in this post worth discussing.

Im pretty sure the only way to settle it is a good old fashion snipping of the diesel guys' bank accounts vs the gas guys.

Only way we settle, obviously!

pizzatots

Reaction score

So much this. I asked in another thread if there was a way to turn down the aggression on the thing. It's so bad compared to any other system I've used. Subaru's eyesight, our Aviator has whatever its version is... and the Ram - it's so bad. I love having it, but in stop and go I wind up driving the truck myself and coasting more.

Ewoodard

Reaction score
I don’t have ACC and am glad. My wife’s pathfinder has it and I don’t like it. Gone are the good old days before driver aid.

Dave01

Reaction score
So much this. I asked in another thread if there was a way to turn down the aggression on the thing. It's so bad compared to any other system I've used. Subaru's eyesight, our Aviator has whatever its version is... and the Ram - it's so bad. I love having it, but in stop and go I wind up driving the truck myself and coasting more.
My wife's '23 Subaru with eyesight is pretty amazing, the adaptive cruise is near perfection.

Users who are viewing this thread