Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need more towing capacity

Riccochet

Reaction score
If it’s diesel you want, buy it.
If it’s gas you want, buy it.
In the end, get what you want and just make sure it pairs well with the camper you intend to pull with it.
This.

homedad

Reaction score
This is turning into a painful experience. The neighbor has a lot of knowledge about the pickup truck market but I’m detecting that he’s essentially a Ford fanboy. I’ve had several Fords with enough problems that I kind of swore off Ford. When looking for my Ram I test drove a GMC and the interior just didn’t inspire me. Now the neighbor tells me that I’ll never replicate my 2019 Ram 1500 because the 2500 cab is the “old” design and the back seat is 4” less leg room. So now the neighbor is saying that “this is a fantastic time to buy a truck” because the dealers have way too many on their lots. He asks me my budget which is under $60k then says I can easily get a brand new F250 for $75k (before taxes, prep and dealer secret fees). So essentially acknowledging that there’s just no way to get what I want and to just be happy with what I have. Thanks for everyone’s help. I’m going to suggest to my wife that we switch to Airbnb and forget upgrading the trailer.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
This is turning into a painful experience. The neighbor has a lot of knowledge about the pickup truck market but I’m detecting that he’s essentially a Ford fanboy. I’ve had several Fords with enough problems that I kind of swore off Ford. When looking for my Ram I test drove a GMC and the interior just didn’t inspire me. Now the neighbor tells me that I’ll never replicate my 2019 Ram 1500 because the 2500 cab is the “old” design and the back seat is 4” less leg room. So now the neighbor is saying that “this is a fantastic time to buy a truck” because the dealers have way too many on their lots. He asks me my budget which is under $60k then says I can easily get a brand new F250 for $75k (before taxes, prep and dealer secret fees). So essentially acknowledging that there’s just no way to get what I want and to just be happy with what I have. Thanks for everyone’s help. I’m going to suggest to my wife that we switch to Airbnb and forget upgrading the trailer.
Your neighbour should be ignored he clearly wants another ford owner to circle jerk with as there is no reason to go with a ford over the RAM plus that 4” less cab room is irrelevant as i am 6’2” and no issues sitting in the back of my crew cab…

MEGA HO

Reaction score
If you want a bigger cab get a mega cab but check a crew cab first, might be enough for what you want.
I'd personally stay away from Fords

Pasta4lnch

Reaction score
Depending on what features you have on the 1500, I think 6500 (personally) is too much. It will definitely work, but you'll likely be over. My last rig was around the same and it squat like hell. Wasnt bad on the road, but I always drove pretty safely. I suspect that if I kept everything long term it would have ended with issues.

My 1500 had a payload of 1590lbs. Camper had a "dry" hitch of 570. No way we were under 1020lbs after my fat ass, my wife and kids, gas, bikes, food, firewood etc...

Here is a pic - you can see the squat. (bear in mind there is no one in the truck in this pic too) IMG_9704-X5.jpg

Dave01

Reaction score
My friend has a diesel F250 crew cab, I think a 2019. Great truck, I have nothing bad to say about it. It is noticeably larger in the back seat, I've sat there many times, but the room isn't needed. I'm 6'2" and fit completely comfortably in the back seat of my Ram. In fact part of the reason I went with Ram was the Ford and GM's were longer and I didn't want the extra 9-10" in length. IMO Ram got it right because when you buy a Mega you get more useful behind the seat storage rather than the excess leg room that isn't needed.

Don't get discouraged. You can get a very well optioned 6.4 2500 for your budget price, and I believe you'll be happy with it. Test drive a few and go from there.

jjcole

Reaction score
The ram has an older design. I can from a 22 f250 powerstroke. That 10 speed towed my 7500 lb trailer like nothing. I went back to a 22 ram 2500 6.7 Cummins because I did not want to deal with the cp4 issues. The ford pulled better, the Ram is a way better truck in my opinion. Ram just needs to update the trans in the 2500, and it will be on par with the competition.

Riccochet

Reaction score
The ram has an older design. I can from a 22 f250 powerstroke. That 10 speed towed my 7500 lb trailer like nothing. I went back to a 22 ram 2500 6.7 Cummins because I did not want to deal with the cp4 issues. The ford pulled better, the Ram is a way better truck in my opinion. Ram just needs to update the trans in the 2500, and it will be on par with the competition.

Ram needs to redesign the 2500/3500 completely, not just a face lift like they did in 2019. The 1500 will be on a second complete redesign before the HD trucks get any love.

jjcole

Reaction score
Anyone hear anything about a possible Cummins recall/buy back? Not sure if this is the right thread to post this on. Sorry in advance.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Ram needs to redesign the 2500/3500 completely, not just a face lift like they did in 2019. The 1500 will be on a second complete redesign before the HD trucks get any love.
2019 wasn’t a facelift. The only thing that remained from previous gen is the cab.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Anyone hear anything about a possible Cummins recall/buy back? Not sure if this is the right thread to post this on. Sorry in advance.
Anything you heard was a rumour….

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The truck was redesigned in 19 just the cab remained which is a perfectly functional cab with no issues and this is not new to the HD world look at ford they kept the same cab for almost 20 years 99-16 and through that time the 1/2 tons got something like 4-5 redesigns. I think its great they keep the same cab makes replacement parts and pannels cheaper for the guys like me who keep a truck long term.

dieselscout80

Reaction score
On my '21 window sticker it shows up under Customer Preferred Package 2GH, Safety Group B. When I was looking to buy, I think this was the only Laramie I saw it on, all the others were Limited's. And yes, when you start adding these option packages the price rises quickly, because it won't just be the one package, as you see from the window sticker this Laramie had the majority of options you'd see on a Limited.
Dave does your truck have the cameras built into the bottom of the exterior mirror's?

Dave01

Reaction score
Dave does your truck have the cameras built into the bottom of the exterior mirror's?
Hmm .... I should know the answer to that, but I don't. I have the ability to do the surround view, does that mean I have them? I will look closer.

Dave01

Reaction score
I love the 4th gen cab, I think that design is timeless and probably the best looking body to date!
I really like my cab. I've had a variety of people compliment it, including a couple of F250 owners.

Riddick

Reaction score
The lifter issue on the 6.4 is not all that common, some people report issues but many do not have issues.

The Ford 7.3 is a few years old now and there are people reporting cam and lifter delamination issues, I bet your neighbor forgot to mention this to you. Each brand will have their issues so I recommend to buy whatever truck you like and do your maintenance on time.

In my opinion any of the gas engines are going tow nearly identical and get roughly the same mileage.

Pasta4lnch

Reaction score
I love the 4th gen cab, I think that design is timeless and probably the best looking body to date!
I had a 2019 1500...while the back seat was big enough to play a ball game in, I'm not finding the back of my '24 3500 restricting and I do like the slightly longer bed. Other than that, I really don't notice too many other differences. I dont notice anything different in the front...or at least anything worth noting.

Ok - the lack of a hump in the back was nice too...

Users who are viewing this thread