Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need more towing capacity

homedad

Reaction score
I have a 2019 1500 Laramie and still love it. The problem is that my wife is tired of our smallish RV and dragged me to the RV show. She keeps leaning toward 6500 pound trailers and ours is at the very limit already even with an equalizing hitch. I decided that instead of trying to find an identical 2019 Laramie with a 3.92 Axle ratio I would consider moving up to a 2019 2500 Laramie. I found one but the neighbor (huge truck guy but mostly ford) said that the 6.4 L is a dog as far as acceleration. I'm not a lead foot but what I was concerned about is this lifter thing I keep hearing about. Something about roller lifters seizing and burning up the lobe of the camshaft. Anyone who has any experience with the 6.4...how is the power? Is this lifter issue overblown or inevitable? I only have 44K miles but I'm wondering if I'm headed for trouble and maybe move to something else entirely.

woody284

Reaction score
Someone will chime in soon with some information you’re looking for.

I have a 19’ tradesman with 6.4 and 32,000 miles. I had a 40’ /12500 lb fiver when I bought it. Truck pulled it fine ( only short pulls). I hated the camper so I downsized to a bumper pull 34’ / 7500 lb. I short pull most of the time as our camper stays in one spot all summer. I have pulled this one on one trip that was 3-4 hours one way. It pulled fine and did everything I asked of it. Granted fuel economy is around 9 mpg.

To say it’s a dog would be an individual opinion of what you’re comparing it too. I don’t think it is. It’s a heavier / bigger truck so it’s not going to feel like your 1500.

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
6.4 and 8 speed is a great combo. The Hemi might be the oldest gas offering but it’s no dog and FWIW, any HD gasser will get around the same mileage. I tow a 10k lbs 5ver with no issue other than the inability to pass a gas station ;)

Don’t idle the truck excessively and don’t do 10k mile oil changes, you’ll be good to go.

All the gas offering have their “issues”, GM and Ford’s amazing Godzilla is no exception.

Last edited:

homedad

Reaction score
Thanks. I only get 7-8 mpg towing with my 5.7 so this will be an improvement

jsalbre

Reaction score
You’ll get about the same with the 2500 towing. Maybe a little better if you keep speeds low.

homedad

Reaction score
Looks like the one I was interested in doesn't have adaptive cruise control and it appears that a Ram 2500 with ACC is incredibly rare for some reason. I guess the hunt continues,

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
6500lbs camper is not to much for the 1500 it would be a perfect match

Dave01

Reaction score
You'd love the 6.4 and 8 speed. Very powerful, excellent towing up to 10k IMO. Night and day compared to a 5.7 and 8 speed, and I'm a fan of that powertrain, 5.7 certainly can handle 6500 lbs. with no problem, but the 6.4 makes it effortless.

I have adaptive cruise in my Laramie, it was pretty fully optioned. Not that rare, but definitely have to find well optioned Laramie or a Limited.

Units

Reaction score
6500lbs camper is not to much for the 1500 it would be a perfect match
I would say weight wise yes. I towed my 31’ TT with a 6500lb dry weight. Personally, I felt It was right on the edge of being too much for a 1500, it was white knuckle getting passed by a semi. Much better towing experience with my 2500 and the same TT.

homedad

Reaction score
Yes the weight of the trailer doesn’t tell the whole story. My wife is a bit of a pack rat. Add food, clothes, bedding, some water, bikes, a generator, wood, portable waste tote, 5 gallons of gas, a big dog and 4 people and it’s most likely over my limit. And now she’s liking bigger rigs.

homedad

Reaction score
As far as adaptive cruise control it seems like most of the ones I see that are even close to my budget seem to not have this feature. I’m trying to replicate my 1500 but can’t seem to. My Laramie is well optioned and I feel a bit spoiled.

Dave01

Reaction score
As far as adaptive cruise control it seems like most of the ones I see that are even close to my budget seem to not have this feature. I’m trying to replicate my 1500 but can’t seem to. My Laramie is well optioned and I feel a bit spoiled.
On my '21 window sticker it shows up under Customer Preferred Package 2GH, Safety Group B. When I was looking to buy, I think this was the only Laramie I saw it on, all the others were Limited's. And yes, when you start adding these option packages the price rises quickly, because it won't just be the one package, as you see from the window sticker this Laramie had the majority of options you'd see on a Limited.

Attachments

• 2021 Ram 2500 Window Sticker.pdf
    74.1 KB · Views: 8

Riccochet

Reaction score
I would say weight wise yes. I towed my 31’ TT with a 6500lb dry weight. Personally, I felt It was right on the edge of being too much for a 1500, it was white knuckle getting passed by a semi. Much better towing experience with my 2500 and the same TT.
That was my experience. On paper it's fine, in practice it's not. I went through two 1500's before buying my 2500. It's not the weight either, it's the length. That's a lot of sail behind a 1500.

I firmly believe, now, in having way more truck than I need.

homedad

Reaction score
The problem with diesels is the initial cost is out of my budget not to mention the fuel is 35% higher.

Dave01

Reaction score
The problem with diesels is the initial cost is out of my budget not to mention the fuel is 35% higher.
It sounds to me that if you are looking for adaptive cruise as an option, you probably don't want to buy an older used diesel, want a truck in the last few model years. Like in Firebird's picture above, you can pull a lot of camper with a 6.4 before you run out of towing ability. The economics are what they are, it's fair to say that the increased cost of diesel fuel is offset with fuel efficiency, but at the same time you pay 12k more for the same truck and more for maintenance. Don't get me wrong, I love diesels and had a string of them before my current Ram, I made my decision based on not wanting to pay the premium for the diesel while knowing I'd be towing 10k max. I don't regret my 6.4 decision at all.

Users who are viewing this thread