Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar extended warranty - yea or nay?

Assuming you bought an extended warranty - would you do it again?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

60_Driver

Reaction score
Just picking the brains of those who’ve purchased extended Mopar warranties for their trucks. Would you do it again?

I don’t drive too many mi, I’m just under 20k on the ‘19 model. She’s been good to me so far but I’m about to hit the 3 year mark and plan to keep her for a long time.

jebruns

Reaction score
It's always a gamble, and most of the time the "house" wins, of course. I had it on my 18 Ram 2500 and it paid for itself. I have it on my 22 also. Paid cash for it. 8yr/100k/$100ded. I don't put a lot of miles on my trucks per year either.

techman

Reaction score
Getting on my soapbox.

These are money makers for the dealers, period.

If you require peace of mind, then make sure you are buying a reliable vehicle from the start. Then take that money you would waste on the warranty, put it aside in an "emergency fund" perhaps something interest bearing. It's there when you need it. If you never use it, put it towards your next car.

Climbing off my soapbox.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
Buying one from your local dealer at a regular price is like picking the largest cucumber at the supermarket and thinking it’s a good idea to sit on it.

New cars are complicated computers and are not simple fixes like a 1997 ram 12V. If you can get one $50 over cost then I think it’s a worthwhile investment

areuriding

Reaction score
Plenty of places selling at 50 over cost. I got it on my Rubicon XR, not because I think Jeep is unreliable but because I wanted the extra peace of mind. If you can take the hit on cost of warranty go for it.

BubbaWilkins

Reaction score
I've had two vehicles that I was able to get the lifetime Mopar warranty. One resulted in a complete new engine at 180,000 miles and the other has yet to come into play. Unfortunately, they discontinued those a while back. I looked at the current extended warranties and I put way too many miles on the truck (25k-30k a year) for any of them to make sense.

techman

Reaction score
If you have the mentality that you're losing your safety net when the manufacturer warranty runs out and you are convinced your vehicle is going to suddenly grenade, you probably bought the wrong one. As far as I know there is no ticking time bomb built into these trucks that go off when you roll past 3-5 years /36-100K miles. Keep up with the scheduled maintenances...change your fluids...you'll be fine.

Just trying to save you guys some $$. We can all use it.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
Check with your credit union. Mine had a policy that was better than the MOPAR. I know it was accepted at the RAM dealer in Jacksonville with a couple of buddies diesel trucks.

Adam06

Reaction score
I’m new to ram trucks just ordered one in April. Ram 3500 with ho Cummins. It should be arriving in a week. What is the average cost of the extended warranty? When I bought my f250 diesel in 2008 I purchased the extended warranty and paid about 2,500.00 for it , never had to use it . I have about 130000 miles on it so I don’t put a lot of miles on my trucks. Basically use it if towing my toy hauler

jerryw1000

Reaction score
Traded off my last 8 year old truck with 33,000 miles on it. Might get 40,000 on this one toting a camper to the lake 3 or 4 times a year and running around up there for a month. Bought the 8 year 60,000 MaxCare strictly based on all of the electronics and 12" uConnect. What's another $1100 or whatever it was on a $60K truck.

RichM752

Reaction score
I had 7 yr extended on my 2016 Ram. Never used it, got a $330 rebate when I sold truck to a dealer for high blue book.
Bought 8 yr 85k extended from Ziegler for $1500.
You never know.

snocam

Reaction score
When I bought my 2500 back in July, I bought an extended warranty through Ally. The dealer explained that they were more reliable than Mopar. I'm happy with the decision, the truck is my only vehicle with a payment, and I feel it's a good move to have everything covered if there is financing involved. I double truck payments to keep ahead of the mileage on the warranty as well. If I decide to trade, I get a prorated amount for the balance of the warranty same as cash. On the other hand, we paid cash in June for our gladiator, and went with the regular warranty.

jebruns

Reaction score
I’m new to ram trucks just ordered one in April. Ram 3500 with ho Cummins. It should be arriving in a week. What is the average cost of the extended warranty? When I bought my f250 diesel in 2008 I purchased the extended warranty and paid about 2,500.00 for it , never had to use it . I have about 130000 miles on it so I don’t put a lot of miles on my trucks. Basically use it if towing my toy hauler
Way too many variables to even venture a guess. You can go this website to get some idea, but you may be able to get it cheaper through Granger Motors, etc:

Dave01

Reaction score
Getting on my soapbox.

These are money makers for the dealers, period.

If you require peace of mind, then make sure you are buying a reliable vehicle from the start. Then take that money you would waste on the warranty, put it aside in an "emergency fund" perhaps something interest bearing. It's there when you need it. If you never use it, put it towards your next car.

Climbing off my soapbox.
No argument from me that they are money makers for the dealers, or other producer of the warranty. But ... I bought one on my last Mopar vehicle, may be buying one for this truck, haven't gotten around to getting quotes yet. I worry about the electronics. I believe an 8.4 Uconnect system failure is something like $2,500 to fix (someone correct me if I'm wrong on that) and there's a boatload of other electronics on these trucks.

It will depend on price of course, once I figure out what I'm doing I'll report back.

techman

Reaction score
I worry about the electronics.
$2,500 to fix

Sounds like the finance manager when I did the paperwork on my truck. He pulled up the extended warranty options and said there is a lot that can fail on my truck. I just rolled my eyes and said no thanks. He knew instantly that my BS meter went off. I told him he can make money on the next person, he laughed and said you've done this before, eh?

jj1101

Reaction score
I have a 2021 RAM 3500 with the HO Cummins. I just bought the MaxCare 8yr/100,00 warranty from Grainer for $2,100

techman

Reaction score
OK, I said I would get off my soap box and I will after one more brief public service announcement from Homer J Simpson. Enjoy, specifically at the 15 second mark.

Simpson Brain

Users who are viewing this thread