Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar extended warranty - yea or nay?

Assuming you bought an extended warranty - would you do it again?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Woolfman

Reaction score
I bought mine just to cover the diesel emissions equipment. Since that's what seems to break on the newer trucks and it's expensive when they do. I went Mopar warranty because a lot of others won't cover the dpf because it's a "filter."

Last edited:

OldJeepsNewTrucks

Reaction score
I'll say my Ecodiesel 1500 got probably 5 to 6 times worth of warranty work out of the initial cost. WELL worth it. Same for my Jeep but it had the lifetime and was over 14 years old. I keep my vehicles for a long time, and have always got my money back and then some in these.

Woolfman

Reaction score
Better check the details of your mopar plan again…
You serious? It doesn't, I asked them that exactly and they said it did. They wonder why so many people delete their trucks. Hopefully it still covers DEF pump.

Last edited:

Dave01

Reaction score
Sounds like the finance manager when I did the paperwork on my truck. He pulled up the extended warranty options and said there is a lot that can fail on my truck. I just rolled my eyes and said no thanks. He knew instantly that my BS meter went off. I told him he can make money on the next person, he laughed and said you've done this before, eh?
It ends up being personal choice coupled with risk/reward decisions. I don't feel there's a definite right or wrong in the decision, smart people do the research and do what they are comfortable doing.

Talk about ceramic coating and some people will say it's BS and a ripoff. Some people like the result and feel great about doing it.

Talk about tuning your rig and some people will say it's BS and a ripoff. Some people like the result and feel great about doing it.

I'm just saying there's room for discussion, not a simple "anyone who buys an extended warranty just threw their money away" approach. My 2 cents.

ClawSS

Reaction score
My $.02. I have purchased extended warranties. I have NOT purchased also. I am at 14k miles and 9mo. into ownership of the most expensive vehicle I have ever owned.
I drive all my vehicles a lot. Pre-Covid it was close to 25k a year just to work and back, so I ate through a mfg. warranty pretty quick.
I LOVE to modify and "personalize" my vehicles. My leveled on 37's may not pass on a transmission warranty already, No paint issues are covered since the PPF and Ceramic is installed. My tint may not even be legal everywhere.
If I buy an extended warranty, then I am walking a fine line of pretending I have time to "fight" the dealer to cover things under the MM act based on FCA's decision to not like my oil choice or honor my parts receipts because I change my own oil.
My mods were done by me in my shop....my choice, but the $ for a warranty just to be denied because corporate decided they didn't like how I turned a wrench.

I'm leaning toward saving to fix and hope the fix is fixable financially.

Dave01

Reaction score
I'd have to agree with you in that case, even if you have a good dealer who is advocating for you it's hard to get past their argument that your mods affected the vehicle. I doubt the oil used would be a problem, I think that argument went away some years ago unless they found you were using a completely wrong viscosity or something like that. But the 37's and suspension mods would likely negate any claims from torque converter on. Still, like I said, the electronics worry me a bit.

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
TLDR: I have it - hope I never need it - got the best deal I could for it - and am slightly peeved I needed to do so in the first place.

The details:

I bought mine from Granger at $50 over their cost. My selling dealer wanted almost TWICE what I paid through Granger. The friggin nerve!

Like any insurance, better to have and not need than to need and not have. If 10 of us pay $2K and don’t use it, one of us may need a $20K repair and doesn’t go it alone. That’s how it works. I can live with that…

Having said that, Hyundai/Kia still sell their vehicles with 100K mile warranty baked in to their prices (which are lower than their competitors) and have for YEARS! Shelling out nearly 6 figures for a truck, it was very disappointing to have such a dinky warranty period and worse, to have to dig in to the wallet for more…

All manufactures should follow South Korea’s lead there IMHO…

That’s my $0.02….

techman

Reaction score
I've been reading anecdotal claims of needing or the possibility of needing 4 to 5 figure future repairs in this thread and others. My question to the group is, if your truck needs that big of a repair are you really keeping it? Wouldn't you immediately lose confidence in the vehicle and its value? If you have loan payments, perhaps you have no choice.

Also, my math skills are average, but if you have a $2500 extended warranty and $2500 in future repairs you have only recouped the cost of the warranty. Until you surpass an additional $2500 in repairs does the warranty "pay for itself". A lot of people claim their extended warranties pay for themselves after the repairs totals the warranty cost, which isn't exactly correct. That initial $2500 is your cash.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
I've been reading anecdotal claims of needing or the possibility of needing 4 to 5 figure future repairs in this thread and others. My question to the group is, if your truck needs that big of a repair are you really keeping it? Wouldn't you immediately lose confidence in the vehicle and its value? If you have loan payments, perhaps you have no choice.

Also, my math skills are average, but if you have a $2500 extended warranty and $2500 in future repairs you have only recouped the cost of the warranty. Until you surpass an additional $2500 in repairs does the warranty "pay for itself". A lot of people claim their extended warranties pay for themselves after the repairs totals the warranty cost, which isn't exactly correct. That initial $2500 is your cash.
Good lord, I think you only get one vote in this thread, and I’m pretty sure we know what yours is already…

Dave01

Reaction score
Feel free to ignore my comments. Peace! :)

No need to ignore, you make good points. Reading your comments give me pause and make me think, which I appreciate. Honestly, if I end up buying the warranty I don't expect it to save me money. I expect it to give me peace of mind in case there are larger repairs in the years ahead.

When you buy insurance for your house or other belongings, you don't expect to get your insurance money back, in fact you hope you don't. But you pay it because maybe you need to for a mortgage or if not because you realize you can't afford a big loss. Extended warranties are just insurance.

techman

Reaction score
Extended warranties are just insurance

Yes they are!

My comments/diatribes are not meant to irritate anybody, and if I have, sorry for that. I'm usually very reserve in speaking up. but the auto industry as a whole is just a horrid place but a necessary evil. You should see me when I visit the service department! I go absolutely nuts when they upsell useless repair services to women and the elderly. Just trying to advocate.

Dave01

Reaction score
Yes they are!

My comments/diatribes are not meant to irritate anybody, and if I have, sorry for that. I'm usually very reserve in speaking up. but the auto industry as a whole is just a horrid place but a necessary evil. You should see me when I visit the service department! I go absolutely nuts when they upsell useless repair services to women and the elderly. Just trying to advocate.
I totally get that! I used to go to a speedy oil change place occasionally (this was in the '90's) and the routine was really annoying. First a tech would come over with the dipstick or oil fill cap, show some foam on it and explain that a cleaning or flush of some sort was needed. After I declined that I would be told my wiper blades were cracked, then the air filter that I changed 3,000 miles prior would be brought to show me how dirty it was. Exactly as you said, someone maybe older or without vehicle knowledge would go ahead and say yes and get another $100 worth of un-needed services.

Pressure_welder

Reaction score
i suppose it would entirely depend on how long you keep a vehicle. The factory warranty the truck comes with is pretty darn good. 5 yr 100k on the truck and 5 yr or 160k on the cummins. For us, even with this 22 on the way i only forsee keeping it for 3 ish years, will definatly be gone before 100k on the clock to get best value. If i was anticipating keeping a truck longer term, id re-consider extra warranty after the factory warranty ran out. Who knows if youll want to get rid of it in that time frame, and while some may see the extended warranty as a selling feature, it generally doesn't amount to much when you go to sell a vehicle privately, or especially a trade in, dealers love getting vehicles in with extended warranties, but they sure wont compensate YOU for it.

ClawSS

Reaction score
Yeah, been denied on home owners ins. too following a lightning strike....Gosh darn "acts of God" clause.
You go in with an issue in hopes that the mechanic can replicate.
They tell you they did, BUT it isn't covered because of this or that.
"I see you updated your map software yourself." "This voids the warranty on the A/C blend door actuator because it is software controlled."

ollicat

Reaction score
I have 15 year old Ram that I purchased the lifetime warranty on ($100 deductible). Guess what, when I tried to use it for various interior parts that were breaking, including the steering wheel falling apart, I was told none of the parts are available anymore. So I was stuck doing nationwide online junkyard searches, which is much harder than you think. I would not buy another lifetime warranty if they offered it again.

Wanderlust073

Reaction score
Assume nothing will go wrong. Sound financial advice.

Home insurance? Are you stupid? If you think your home is going to suddenly (insert unlikely but possible catastrophe here) you should have bought a better home!

What a bunch of dumbasses. Here’s a motivational video from my trusty library of life lessons and wisdom The Simpsons.

techman

Reaction score
Hi Wanderlust073, how are you? What TV shows do you watch?

Rams come with an insurance policy in the form of a factory warranty. This, I had hoped, was just a spirited debate about buying a completely optional, voluntary, but costly EXTRA insurance.

But as others have pointed out to me, this should have been a simple yes, no, maybe vote and comments should have been turned off.

Users who are viewing this thread