Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Missing tailgate plug

Ronstar

Reaction score
I have a brand new 2023 2500 diesel. In watching the tutorial videos on the Ram app about various aspects of ownership I discovered after watching how to remove the tailgate that I was missing a piece. I have the part that attaches to the bedside port where the tailgate wiring gets attached but not the plug that attaches to the plug on the tailgate side. I asked the dealership and they were not aware of what I was talking about. I showed them the video snd its clear there is a plug cover to cover the exposed plug when tailgate removed. They do not show the part in their “STAR” system.
Anyone have the part? Video says the cover to help prevent corrosion when gate is in storage.

b307a1

Reaction score
I have a brand new 2023 2500 diesel. In watching the tutorial videos on the Ram app about various aspects of ownership I discovered after watching how to remove the tailgate that I was missing a piece. I have the part that attaches to the bedside port where the tailgate wiring gets attached but not the plug that attaches to the plug on the tailgate side. I asked the dealership and they were not aware of what I was talking about. I showed them the video snd its clear there is a plug cover to cover the exposed plug when tailgate removed. They do not show the part in their “STAR” system.
Anyone have the part? Video says the cover to help prevent corrosion when gate is in storage.
I've had 3 4th gens and 2 4.5s and none have come equipped with what you are referring to.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
My 22 didn’t come with one, neither did the 18.

Alligator John

Reaction score
Or it may be this one. 68361100AC
Figure out for sure the part number you can probably get it off ebay dirt cheap and for less than the cost of fuel to drive to the dealer. A lot of people don't have a use for them and throw them on ebay.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Or it may be this one. 68361100AC
Figure out for sure the part number you can probably get it off ebay dirt cheap and for less than the cost of fuel to drive to the dealer. A lot of people don't have a use for them and throw them on ebay.

That’s the part he has, the one all truck come with. The OP is asking for the part that does the same thing, but on the tailgate side.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
That’s the part he has, the one all truck come with. The OP is asking for the part that does the same thing, but on the tailgate side.
Both pieces (truck side and the tailgate side) come in one bag listed under one part #.

Last edited:

b307a1

Reaction score
This is the plug that came with both the 2019 and 2020 without anything for the tailgate. A totally different creature.
#68415000AA20230504_121512.jpg

Ronstar

Reaction score
In the Ram app under Owners Manual there is a short video on Tailgate Removal. I took these screen shots to show the missing item. In the one photo it is the middle piece….

Attachments

• E18F1201-19C6-4702-92D7-E63870CBFD8D.png
    E18F1201-19C6-4702-92D7-E63870CBFD8D.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • 507FD5A1-C09B-4FC9-8E5A-D3E78AF01CF2.png
    507FD5A1-C09B-4FC9-8E5A-D3E78AF01CF2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • 56FC89D0-AEEB-4094-99AE-585B76F42788.png
    56FC89D0-AEEB-4094-99AE-585B76F42788.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 23

b307a1

Reaction score
In the Ram app under Owners Manual there is a short video on Tailgate Removal. I took these screen shots to show the missing item. In the one photo it is the middle piece….
In that video the vehicle that they used those plugs on is an earlier 4th Gen.

The title of the video is confusing because it states that it is for "2022 heavy duty and 1500 classic models". The part about the tailgate storage plug installation only applies to the classic.

Last edited:

Ronstar

Reaction score
Late to the Party!
Thank you for that part number, Bingo!
Took that to the dealership parts manager who looked it up and both parts are clearly shown indicating the small piece indeed is supposed to be part of the package. My salesman and the Service manager had never seen the tailgate side protector. Dealership ordered the pack and I will get it on Monday.
No one is sure how far back this item has been made but it sounds like Ram has been leaving it out possibly unintentionally, yet some get it and some dont.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Late to the Party!
Thank you for that part number, Bingo!
Took that to the dealership parts manager who looked it up and both parts are clearly shown indicating the small piece indeed is supposed to be part of the package. My salesman and the Service manager had never seen the tailgate side protector. Dealership ordered the pack and I will get it on Monday.
No one is sure how far back this item has been made but it sounds like Ram has been leaving it out possibly unintentionally, yet some get it and some dont.

Which part number did you order?

BigDaddyKong

Reaction score
On my 22 2500, the plug was in the bag with the aux switch pigtails under the back seat.

Ronstar

Reaction score
68149689AB
I took this to parts dept who looked it up, their pic on the screen shows the missing part (center piece in my above post). I have the rectangular plug that attached at the base of the bed, I did not get the smaller square plug that attaches to wiring still on the tailgate as you would walk away with it (best description for now).
Dealership was not aware of this piece and it was not checked for when received. Thats minor compared to the block heater being left off……..
Quality control seems a touch lax….

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
I took this to parts dept who looked it up, their pic on the screen shows the missing part (center piece in my above post). I have the rectangular plug that attached at the base of the bed, I did not get the smaller square plug that attaches to wiring still on the tailgate as you would walk away with it (best description for now).
Dealership was not aware of this piece and it was not checked for when received. Thats minor compared to the block heater being left off……..
Quality control seems a touch lax….
If part number 68149689AB is what they ordered, then that won’t fit your truck.
That part number is for 2013-2018 Ram heavy duty, and 2013-2018 ram 1500, including 2019-2023 ram 1500 classic.
That part uses a completely different tailgate connector than the one used on the 2019-2023 Ram heavy duty.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
This is what part number 68149689AB looks like, and the equivalent piece that you would be looking for for a 2019+ HD Ram is circled in green:
IMG_5009.jpeg

When compared to the 2019+ HD ram tailgate connectors, you can see that it won’t fit, and that you are actually looking for TWO separate connector plug seals:
IMG_5008.jpeg

This is the 2019+ tailgate plug seal for the bed side. As far as I know, there are no such (mopar) parts that you are looking for to plug into and seal the tailgate side connectors:
IMG_5010.jpeg

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
If part number 68149689AB is what they ordered, then that won’t fit your truck.
That part number is for 2013-2018 Ram heavy duty, and 2013-2018 ram 1500, including 2019-2023 ram 1500 classic.
That part uses a completely different tailgate connector than the one used on the 2019-2023 Ram heavy duty.

I presumed that’s what he had ordered, and why I asked.

Thanks for confirming the info.

Ronstar

Reaction score
Guys, all I can tell you is that in the Ram app, under Owners Manual, under Tailgate Removal, there is a video tutorial on how to remove the tailgate. I ASSUME the vehicle being displayed is a 2023 (or parts and procedures apply to 2021/22 etc). Thus I inquired about the tailgate side plug cover I did not have. The dealership could find no such part as shown in the video. Thus I reached out on this forum.
Late to the Party posted a part number and I took that to Parts who looked it up. They showed it as being both the bed side and tailgate side pieces in one package for a 2023. From further research it appears the small squarish tailgate side plug has been consistent over the last few years, thus that is what is coming. Im betting they will keep the bedside plug and I will get the tailgate side.
I simply will not know until the part is here and I will let all ya all know what happens.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Guys, all I can tell you is that in the Ram app, under Owners Manual, under Tailgate Removal, there is a video tutorial on how to remove the tailgate. I ASSUME the vehicle being displayed is a 2023 (or parts and procedures apply to 2021/22 etc). Thus I inquired about the tailgate side plug cover I did not have. The dealership could find no such part as shown in the video. Thus I reached out on this forum.
Late to the Party posted a part number and I took that to Parts who looked it up. They showed it as being both the bed side and tailgate side pieces in one package for a 2023. From further research it appears the small squarish tailgate side plug has been consistent over the last few years, thus that is what is coming. Im betting they will keep the bedside plug and I will get the tailgate side.
I simply will not know until the part is here and I will let all ya all know what happens.
The video applies to more than just the HD trucks, that’s the part you’re missing. Your truck is not supposed to have one.

Users who are viewing this thread