Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lifter Failure? Report it here!

301cummins

Reaction score
Ok so ordered new rocker assembly. So now I have upgraded pushrods from manton. Mopar rocker assembly. Truck is just shy of 80k now. The wear scares me. Currently running 10w-30 amsoil. Before this oil change it was 5w-40 valvoline blue . My 06 had over 200k on stock trunions, they looked nothing like these. Not sure what the heck is going on, IMO it looks like a lubrication is an issue. She still has type writer tick when hot currently. Oil is new still sooo i guess thats why?

Attachments

• IMG_0156.jpeg
    IMG_0156.jpeg
    451.9 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0157.jpeg
    IMG_0157.jpeg
    402.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0156.jpeg
    IMG_0156.jpeg
    451.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0159.jpeg
    IMG_0159.jpeg
    544.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0160.jpeg
    IMG_0160.jpeg
    474.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0161.jpeg
    IMG_0161.jpeg
    534.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0162.jpeg
    IMG_0162.jpeg
    458.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0163.jpeg
    IMG_0163.jpeg
    415 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0164.jpeg
    IMG_0164.jpeg
    474.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0155.jpeg
    IMG_0155.jpeg
    442.4 KB · Views: 55

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok so ordered new rocker assembly. So now I have upgraded pushrods from manton. Mopar rocker assembly. Truck is just shy of 80k now. The wear scares me. Currently running 10w-30 amsoil. Before this oil change it was 5w-40 valvoline blue . My 06 had over 200k on stock trunions, they looked nothing like these. Not sure what the heck is going on, IMO it looks like a lubrication is an issue. She still has type writer tick when hot currently. Oil is new still sooo i guess thats why?
What are your idle / drive / total engine hours?

301cummins

Reaction score
Tough to say. How much do you like the truck otherwise? Can you do it yourself?

I could do it myself, worried since it’s a 19 I might need machine work to get it to fit. But honestly I can find faults with Chevy and ford diesel’s. Just pick your poison right? Maybe I’ll get one of those scopes and take a peek at the cam lobes

Riddick

Reaction score
The majority of the wear appears to be happening on the horizontal axis vs. vertical. With the parts moving up and down this is not what I would expect to see, is there a spec for the bore these sit in, almost seems like the bore is to big and the lifter is rotating freely.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
The majority of the wear appears to be happening on the horizontal axis vs. vertical. With the parts moving up and down this is not what I would expect to see, is there a spec for the bore these sit in, almost seems like the bore is to big and the lifter is rotating freely.
This has been documented several times already by different people who have been doing lifter replacements. Axial rotation of the lifter body in the bore has been one of the main concerns. The fit between the machined notches in the block and the key on the lifter body is questionable. If there’s excessive play in that location, it’s going to allow the roller and lifter body to spin. When this happens, the roller meets the cam lobe at odd angles. The result is an impact rather than a smooth up and down motion. What you end up with is aggressive roller wear, cam wear, and harder upward impacts on the pushrods, everything else follows suit from there. It’s also been demonstrated that the lifter roller design has almost no tolerance for side-loaded force. There’s a video or two out on YouTube (I’ll see if I can find them) where someone uses their hand to squeeze the lifter body where the roller bearing is. With only hand pressure, the roller can be seized in position and prevented from rolling. Mix that with some axial rotation and you end up with is a flat roller and a worn cam.

It’s very similar to the CP4 failure problem. Rollers like to be in perfect square alignment with their cam lobe. Any opportunity to spin or misalign and you have a recipe for disaster.

Enve46

Reaction score
I’m not sure I’d switch to anything right now with the market we are in. I almost switched today actually and I’m holding until I see what the 2025s are offering and then I’ll reassess my next move. I do like the new Fords but I don’t know if I can get myself to own one and my wife might send me packing hahaha we don’t drive fords she says. Who knows, maybe a 4th Gen again for me.

301cummins

Reaction score
Yeah the pushrods were only wore on the rocker arm side, they were perfect on the lifter side.

301cummins

Reaction score
I’m not sure I’d switch to anything right now with the market we are in. I almost switched today actually and I’m holding until I see what the 2025s are offering and then I’ll reassess my next move. I do like the new Fords but I don’t know if I can get myself to own one and my wife might send me packing hahaha we don’t drive fords she says. Who knows, maybe a 4th Gen again for me.
Haha, The 4th Gens would be familiar platform for me. No special tools needed to do valvetrain work. Those fords have awesome cab space though, and they are fast out the box. To expensive for me though. I just like diesels and have a passion for them, haha. I could probably drive a f150 and get by just fine. Just love driving them. Although the truck I have now is making me reconsider

Enve46

Reaction score
Haha, The 4th Gens would be familiar platform for me. No special tools needed to do valvetrain work. Those fords have awesome cab space though, and they are fast out the box. To expensive for me though. I just like diesels and have a passion for them, haha. I could probably drive a f150 and get by just fine. Just love driving them. Although the truck I have now is making me reconsider
Trust me I know. I got addicted to owning diesels and had a few but switched to a Power Wagon Hemi. Now I’m itching to get a diesel again cause I’m driving much more now that our house was completed, easy 15-20 most places and 9mpg is getting expensive. But these newer trucks while they look awesome are quite a pain. And yes, I can easily get by with a half ton but I enjoy the rough ride of the 3/4-1 tons. Not to mention easier to modify suspension etc etc etc… I still think 2014-2018 trucks are the sweet spot for Rams. Not that they don’t have their own issues like ABS modules, heater cores, grid heaters etc, their just solid trucks with enough tech to be content but not so much they’re a bare to work on.

301cummins

Reaction score
So, I had an idea. I think this may fix the problem, only time will tell. Obvious difference in oil flow over rockers when idling with valve cover off. These are the upgraded XDP Trunnions. You can see the bigger hole and oil flow path.

Attachments

• IMG_0215.jpeg
    IMG_0215.jpeg
    560.2 KB · Views: 52

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
So, I had an idea. I think this may fix the problem, only time will tell. Obvious difference in oil flow over rockers when idling with valve cover off. These are the upgraded XDP Trunnions. You can see the bigger hole and oil flow path.
The lack of slot on the shaft is concerning for oiling, the bigger hole will have more flow for sure

301cummins

Reaction score
Well I know the original version doesn’t work so I’m assuming this new groove pattern is better. It’s got a baby one that is wider. Hard to see photographer sucked. The new one already had some slight scuffs after 2 weeks of driving. Lack of oiling for sure

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Well I know the original version doesn’t work so I’m assuming this new groove pattern is better. It’s got a baby one that is wider. Hard to see photographer sucked. The new one already had some slight scuffs after 2 weeks of driving. Lack of oiling for sure
Perhaps its the picture but the machining on the old one looks pretty bad too

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I’ll get a better look tomorrow. They are definitely sub par. Easy install. Plenty of oil going down the pushrods to those thirsty lifters.
It sounds like offshore parts being used, It seems like offshore parts are becoming more and more common which sucks for us the consumer.

Users who are viewing this thread