Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lets see what you are towing!

Surgdoc4

Reaction score
BTW what is the remedy in GA. They go by GCVW on door of truck and GVWR on trailer. A 3500 DRW 14k, Toyhauler 19k, = 33k
GCVW of 3500 is 34k +. So any truck pulling a large 5th wheel and all 40’ diesel pushers are illegal to drive without a CDL? It has always made me nervous as well but law enforcement just waves and drives by. I am sure it would be a different story if an accident occurred.
This probably needs to move to a different discussion.
Numbers are off: GCVW about 44K, max trailer weight about 33K

Last edited:

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
BTW what is the remedy in GA. They go by GCVW on door of truck and GVWR on trailer. A 3500 DRW 14k, Toyhauler 19k, = 33k
GCVW of 3500 is 34k +. So any truck pulling a large 5th wheel and all 40’ diesel pushers are illegal to drive without a CDL? It has always made me nervous as well but law enforcement just waves and drives by. I am sure it would be a different story if an accident occurred.
This probably needs to move to a different discussion.
I read it as RVs are good to go. But laws are written so nobody can understand them.

Bcrouse

Reaction score
My state has a non-commercial Class A that you would legally need to get to tow that combo. I know there are numerous other stated that do the same thing.

Ive only ever seen the big horse trailers get pulled over though. Prob assuming they are doing some commercial haulin, but the same would apply to them requiring a non-cdl or cdl class A depending on their purpose.

My state is also weird about allowing you to test for the non-commercial ClassA. It reads that it all must be registered in your name. So Id have to buy the truck and trailer BEFORE I could do the test. Test consists of applying for a permit (paper form and $) then a road test. You need someone with the proper class license to accompany you or they wont allow you to test.

Its a very strange, not well documented process.

rudyyoko

Reaction score
Picked up my fifth wheel this morning in Indiana and headed to eastern North Carolina. Stopping in Charleston WV for the evening. I had pulled an 8k, 30 foot travel trailer with my 2022 Ram 2500, CTS, 3.73, 4x4, but this Fifth is 9000k dry and 34 foot long. Going through the mountains of west virginia was a breeze. The transmission, the engine, and the exhaust brake make towing this 5th wheel amazingly comfortable. I had to keep reminding myself that I should pay more attention because I was towing a good size trailer. I set the exhaust to full, and put it in tow mode. It did not make a difference if I had tow mode on or off once I got to cruising speed. I was averaging 60 mph in 6th gear. The computer said I was averaging 13.7 mpg, but I have not done a hand calculation. When it got steep, I would drop it to 5th gear. I notice that the only thing the truck did when going steep, was increase in boost from the turbo from less than 5 PSI, to about 18 PSI when it hit a good incline. But it would not shift to 5th on its own. Just add boost. My truck has auto leveling air bags and after I hooked up the trailer, it kept the same rake as stock. To my surprise the ride was really nice. The truck was stable and the only thing that made it feel like a truck was the rough roads. But even then it fell so much like a cadillac, well relatively speaking. I used to tow horse trailers back in the 80s, and those one ton duallys have no mercy when it comes to the suspension. The only thing that would make this truck perfect would have been a larger fuel tank. But Im already working on that "mod". All in all, I am very happy with the way my truck tows. Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_E6821.JPG
    IMG_E6821.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 69

Users who are viewing this thread