Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lets see what you are towing!

Linked4door

Reaction score
Drove 8hrs round trip to pick up a Ford for a coworker, turns out it had a blown motor. I also didn't realize there was no 4pin connector on these trucks, and had to buy an adapter. Used to towing gooseneck with 7pins. Can't remember the last time I towed a bumper pull trailer.

Attachments

• 20220129_122414.jpg
    20220129_122414.jpg
    490.1 KB · Views: 71

rossagge

Reaction score
Drove 8hrs round trip to pick up a Ford for a coworker, turns out it had a blown motor. I also didn't realize there was no 4pin connector on these trucks, and had to buy an adapter. Used to towing gooseneck with 7pins. Can't remember the last time I towed a bumper pull trailer.
Hmm... I've heard of HD trucks Not coming with the 4 pin. All of mine, 4.5 Gen, came with both 4 & 7. Do you have the trailer 12 pin cam connection? I believe that option deletes the 4 pin. I see the standard features list only shows 7 pin. The only option on my trucks that I think could add the 4 pin is the GN prep, but it sounds like you have that as well?...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Darmichar

Reaction score
Hmm... I've heard of HD trucks but coming with the 4 pin. All of mine, 4.5 Gen, came with both 4 & 7. Do you have the trailer 12 pin cam connection? I believe that option deletes the 4 pin. I see the standard features list only shows 7 pin. The only option on my trucks that I think could add the 4 pin is the GN prep, but it sounds like you have that as well?...

I think you're right. Mine came with the 12-pin and does not have the 4-pin.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm... I've heard of HD trucks Not coming with the 4 pin. All of mine, 4.5 Gen, came with both 4 & 7. Do you have the trailer 12 pin cam connection? I believe that option deletes the 4 pin. I see the standard features list only shows 7 pin. The only option on my trucks that I think could add the 4 pin is the GN prep, but it sounds like you have that as well?...

Other options don't change anything if you have camera prep and/or 360° on the 22 trucks, both bumper and bed have a 7-pin and the 12-pin camera connection.

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score

I said the same thing when I went to tow my boat. I guess they replaced it for the tow camera thing we never got.

2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn Megacab
2021 RAM 3500 Blackout Megacab
2019 OpenRange 3X427BHS
2020 Jayco NorthPoint 382FL
2021 Luxe Elite 42FL
2022 Grand Design Solitude 380FL-R
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L-Summit

Linked4door

Reaction score

Yeah mine has the GN prep, surround view, and trailer camera prep. It's my fault for assuming it was their, and assuming I moved my 7pin to 4pin adapter from my old truck over to this truck. It was just frustrating having to scramble last minute trying to find an adapter. I am normally more prepared than that.

rw4363

Reaction score
Don't have my truck yet (in shipping stage) so can't verify but I assumed this was the 4-pin shown on page 5 of my equipment list:

1643591120014.png

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
So it's not a bumper pull thing...it's a surge brakes thing....I too just picked up one of those U-Haul car haulers for my son...while I was hooking it up I was like WTF this POS doesn't have trailer brakes? Then I noticed the surge brakes...that's why the 4 pin...

Linked4door

Reaction score
So it's not a bumper pull thing...it's a surge brakes thing....I too just picked up one of those U-Haul car haulers for my son...while I was hooking it up I was like WTF this POS doesn't have trailer brakes? Then I noticed the surge brakes...that's why the 4 pin...
I get why the trailer had a 4pin. I was just irritated the truck didn't have a 4pin and I lost my adapter. I may have not been clear in my first post or over simplified by implying it was a bumper pull thing, instead of just saying it has been a while since I have towed anything that didn't have a 7pin.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Its always fun when they have the 5 pin due to surge brakes then you gotta find a 5 pin adapter, i keep one in my center console so if i have to tow a 4 or 5 pin it will work for both

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I get why the trailer had a 4pin. I was just irritated the truck didn't have a 4pin and I lost my adapter. I may have not been clear in my first post or over simplified by implying it was a bumper pull thing, instead of just saying it has been a while since I have towed anything that didn't have a 7pin.
I was used to it as my 01, 05, and 19 have only a 7pin from the factory, every trailer i own or build gets a 7 pin even if it only needs a 4 pin its just a superior setup

McHenry2500

Reaction score
Brought home my new toy today that I ordered back in July of last year. 2022 Polaris General - can't wait to get some trips in on it! My first SxS after years of riding bikes.

View attachment 31074
Nice General! I've been considering trading my Yamaha Wolverine off for a crew cab General. But, none of the local dealers has any.

With age comes cage

owdiss78

Reaction score
ad0561be21e817e543cd167fdb683a09.jpg

2021 39’ bunkhouse 5thwheel

Users who are viewing this thread