Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lets see what you are towing!

davis2

Reaction score
Have 3. This one is pretty special - he's super responsive. However, he has also been SUPER expensive. Needed surgery for twisted colon about 15 months ago. Came through it great - and was about to go back to normal duty when he fractured a coffin bone. So, stall rest for months, etc. Let's just say I could have bought a fully loaded out with every option truck instead of the Bighorn with the money I had in vet bills over the past year. Good thing is he came through it great.
I hear ya on the vet bills... She has an Equine science degree from Colorado State, and worked for a veterinarian for 12 years. That must be a good horse to spend that $$. I worked for Nutrena for 12 years, and made thousands of tons of horse feed! (Liverpool NY) We have a couple heelers and cats to spend money on now.

Wmhjr

Reaction score
I hear ya on the vet bills... She has an Equine science degree from Colorado State, and worked for a veterinarian for 12 years. That must be a good horse to spend that $$. I worked for Nutrena for 12 years, and made thousands of tons of horse feed! (Liverpool NY) We have a couple heelers and cats to spend money on now.

He is special. He is ridiculously responsive and athletic. I've been riding and owned horses since the late 60s. Never had one like this one. You can ride a reining pattern in a halter, slide stops, quarter turns, spins, flying lead changes. He can do team penning and roping. Obstacle courses. You can put him on a 4x4 foot box and rotate him 720 degrees. It's amazing.

davis2

Reaction score
He is special. He is ridiculously responsive and athletic. I've been riding and owned horses since the late 60s. Never had one like this one. You can ride a reining pattern in a halter, slide stops, quarter turns, spins, flying lead changes. He can do team penning and roping. Obstacle courses. You can put him on a 4x4 foot box and rotate him 720 degrees. It's amazing.
Sounds like one hell of a horse! I really don't know a lot about them, that's the wife's domain. She was impressed when I showed her your post. We're looking to relocate further south, and she will get hers!

Blackfin

Reaction score
Hauled this around the southeast this summer and fall, about 2,000 miles in total and averaged around 9 mpg. Was a little concerned about having an open diff and pulling over 10k pounds up a slippery ramp (didn't have much choice of options back in May when I purchased) but surprisingly no issues coming out of some nasty ramps down in Florida.

20200621_171246.jpg

Wmhjr

Reaction score
Sounds like one hell of a horse! I really don't know a lot about them, that's the wife's domain. She was impressed when I showed her your post. We're looking to relocate further south, and she will get hers!

Lol! Just remember - I love horses, but they're even more of a financial black hole than most people imagine!

jmc512

Reaction score
Hauled this around the southeast this summer and fall, about 2,000 miles in total and averaged around 9 mpg. Was a little concerned about having an open diff and pulling over 10k pounds up a slippery ramp (didn't have much choice of options back in May when I purchased) but surprisingly no issues coming out of some nasty ramps down in Florida.

View attachment 9210

What hitch are you using and any pics of the hitch? I'm new to towing but need to get a hitch and trying to figure out what size drop hitch I need and if I should look into sway control. For me, it'll be mainly a TT to camp with the family (if what I'm towing matters).

davis2

Reaction score
Lol! Just remember - I love horses, but they're even more of a financial black hole than most people imagine!
My wife's cousin's kid has a horse, and I have 20 years in the feed business. I've heard the horror stories! But she has sacrificed, and it's her turn! She did buy herself a 2020 Ram 1500 "Built to Serve" edition in Patriot Blue. Sweet truck!

Blackfin

Reaction score
What hitch are you using and any pics of the hitch? I'm new to towing but need to get a hitch and trying to figure out what size drop hitch I need and if I should look into sway control. For me, it'll be mainly a TT to camp with the family (if what I'm towing matters).

Using a weigh-safe, think it is an 8" drop which is more than I need as you can see below, thing is a work of art. Sway control isn't really a thing for boats, some of the TT guys would be better to answer that one.

20201210_165625 3.jpg

John Jensen

Reaction score
Pulling my boat I use a Weigh Safe 180, 2 1/2" shank & 6" drop.
Pulling my TT I use an Equal-i-zer, 4 way sway control, 1,200/12,000 lb. with a 2 1/2 shank & 6" drop

lovegolf44

Reaction score
Using a weigh-safe, think it is an 8" drop which is more than I need as you can see below, thing is a work of art. Sway control isn't really a thing for boats, some of the TT guys would be better to answer that one.

Any issues with the backup sensors? I thought I read that folks with adjustable drop hitches were experiencing the proximity alarm driving them nuts.

Wmhjr

Reaction score
My wife's cousin's kid has a horse, and I have 20 years in the feed business. I've heard the horror stories! But she has sacrificed, and it's her turn! She did buy herself a 2020 Ram 1500 "Built to Serve" edition in Patriot Blue. Sweet truck!

Hey, so long as people understand the profit/loss equation, then go for it! I've been around horses for about 56 years! And good for her!

CdnHO

Reaction score
My 2003 dually pulling a Newmar Kountry Aire fifth wheel which also has dual wheels. Trailer weighs 21,000. Good thing the trailer has hydraulic disk brakes. Time to get something with a bigger towing capacity.1E56FB34-5886-4F31-B58F-282111C49CCA.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread