Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lets see what you are towing!

jsalbre

Reaction score
Curious what one of those weighs. Airstream I mean.

It has a GVWR of 8800, empty it’s about 6500, but that’s with no propane or anything else in it. Next time I pull it out I’ll be heading to the scales, but I’m guessing my tow weight will be around 8000-8500.

I've trolled Airstream sites. Pretty close to 9K lbs all up. They're beautiful travel trailers but a new Airstream TT will flatten your wallet far more than a new HD Ram will. o_O

It definitely wasn’t cheap for a trailer, but as soon as COVID19 calms down it’ll be our house, so from that perspective it was a bargain!

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
8800 lbs gross is actually pretty light for a loaded 30 foot trailer. Airstreams are a little heavier than I thought they would be but also think they’re quality. You do get what you pay for and the resale is there especially on Airstreams. You also bought a quality truck to pull it. I’ve towed a 6500lb TT and our new 9100lb TT with the Hemi. The MPG was about the same towing both. I think it’s more about aerodynamics than engine/tow capability. Someone on here mentioned it’s like pulling a parachute, that’s pretty accurate visual visual imagery I think.

Interestingly enough when towing a TT the Hemi gets about the same MPG as the Cummins I had in my previous truck. The differences I’ve noticed is the Hemi RPMs go up a little outside their normal operating range dependent on terrain whereas the diesel just kind of lugged along. There is no question there is a difference in torque but for the trade off of initial cost difference, maintenance issues and operating costs I think the Hemi is the best fit for me right now. We tow 10-12 times a year less than 400 miles normally but once in a while we get close to a 1000 miles. If we go full time and do a lot of cross country trips I may feel differently but I’m definitely going to put the Hemi to the test to evaluate.

With regard to the cost of the Airstream - life is short, live it to the fullest. I got lucky and survived a bout with cancer, my wife is 2 years past a brain tumor, we’re both happy to still be here on this side of the dirt. Father Time is undefeated and the clock is ticking for us all, my advice buy a nice truck and trailer and go camping !!! You already did so congrats again.

Enjoy the azalea and dogwood bloom in NC. I grew up in the Sandhills/piedmont area there and miss it this time of year.

Last edited:

jsalbre

Reaction score
Congrats on beating cancer! It’s a tough fight.

Life is short. I’m in my 30s and still work full time, and the wife and I decided that we should do the things we want to do before we retire and we hurt too much to do them!

Zeroday

Reaction score
before we retire and we hurt too much to do them!

That is some truth right there. I'm only in my mid 40s but sailing straight towards chronic pain through arthritis and various unhealing ligament tears. This thread has me eyeing Airstreams now. I've got a tiny piece of land up in upstate NY I was thinking of selling, but now maybe not, might just clear it again and park for a little while.

jsalbre

Reaction score
That is some truth right there. I'm only in my mid 40s but sailing straight towards chronic pain through arthritis and various unhealing ligament tears. This thread has me eyeing Airstreams now. I've got a tiny piece of land up in upstate NY I was thinking of selling, but now maybe not, might just clear it again and park for a little while.

Do it! If we decide we love the nomad life we’re planning on grabbing a couple small lots around the country and installing hookups and a deck so we can have several “homes”. Upstate NY is definitely on the list of potential locations.

AF_VET

Reaction score
2019 Ram 3500 with Ramboxs. I installed the puck system and the B&W turnover ball hitch. Towing a 2019 Keystone Cougar 25res with Gen-Y Executive Fifth-Wheel King Pin to Gooseneck hitch.

Attachments

• 20200409_170927.jpg
    20200409_170927.jpg
    753.6 KB · Views: 237
  • 20200409_165547.jpg
    20200409_165547.jpg
    844 KB · Views: 247
  • 20200409_170358.jpg
    20200409_170358.jpg
    614.7 KB · Views: 251
  • 20200409_170345.jpg
    20200409_170345.jpg
    582.3 KB · Views: 235
  • 20200409_170354.jpg
    20200409_170354.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 225
  • 20200409_170336.jpg
    20200409_170336.jpg
    579.3 KB · Views: 221
  • 71i5NPAh8bL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71i5NPAh8bL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 219
  • 20200409_165533.jpg
    20200409_165533.jpg
    655.2 KB · Views: 223

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
2019 Ram 3500 with Ramboxs. I installed the puck system and the B&W turnover ball hitch. Towing a 2019 Keystone Cougar 25res with Gen-Y Executive Fifth-Wheel King Pin to Gooseneck hitch.

Nice pinbox. Too rich for my blood.

Looks like your Cougar could use a lift kit.

We had a 2004 Cougar 290RK we traded in 2018 for our GDRV 303RLS. Except for the frame I had to fix twice, it was a good rig and the only thing I ever had to replace was the converter board and do the recall on the Dometic fridge. In its defense, I did double tow with it.

Plum Cra Zy

Reaction score
Nice pinbox. Too rich for my blood.

Looks like your Cougar could use a lift kit.

We had a 2004 Cougar 290RK we traded in 2018 for our GDRV 303RLS. Except for the frame I had to fix twice, it was a good rig and the only thing I ever had to replace was the converter board and do the recall on the Dometic fridge. In its defense, I did double tow with it.
Details please! Since I'm gonna be dbl towing like you, what frame issues did you have? I'm hoping that my AF frame is beefier than the lippert yours came with?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Details please! Since I'm gonna be dbl towing like you, what frame issues did you have? I'm hoping that my AF frame is beefier than the lippert yours came with?

Arctic Fox frame? Yea, should be better, I've heard they are better built.

The LCI frame on our 2004 was crap steel, thin, brittle, cracked, welds broken and then the body separated from the frame in the front overhang. Lots of issues reported and blamed on both material and poor welding.

Per GD, the GDRV (LCI frame) is rated to tow and they now even come with a factory tow rated hitch setup welded to the frame - capacity depends on the model. Factory rep told me I was good up to 5-6K but I'm only pulling under 4K with a bolt-on hitch that was custom built for my Cougar and rated at 5K. Frame rails are the same width so it was easy to move over.

MSundet

Reaction score

Great post, I have been waiting on this.... and a good comparison with my truck. My buddy purchased a fifth wheel last year brand new and he is letting my family to get on a three week vacation this summer light and of October beginning of September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plum Cra Zy

Reaction score
Arctic Fox frame? Yea, should be better, I've heard they are better built.

The LCI frame on our 2004 was crap steel, thin, brittle, cracked, welds broken and then the body separated from the frame in the front overhang. Lots of issues reported and blamed on both material and poor welding.

Per GD, the GDRV (LCI frame) is rated to tow and they now even come with a factory tow rated hitch setup welded to the frame - capacity depends on the model. Factory rep told me I was good up to 5-6K but I'm only pulling under 4K with a bolt-on hitch that was custom built for my Cougar and rated at 5K. Frame rails are the same width so it was easy to move over.

Which end did you have problems with? What should I watch for?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Which end did you have problems with? What should I watch for?

Too much flex in the front overhang led to breakage.

Basically, the frame area around the pinbox mount all the way across. The very front crossmember also cracked in the middle.

I wasn't the only one, there's many posts on the RV forums and youtube videos of 04-ish Cougars needing extensive forward frame repairs that were not double towing.

Users who are viewing this thread