Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let’s see your wagons with 35 and 37’s

chevycamaro1969

Reaction score
Do you mean that he didn't have enough clearance to turn the tires with the chains on? Or he didn't have chains to fit the 37s?

Just curious, as I have a set of chains from tirechain.com (37x13.5-18) that I have used on my 2500 (granted, not a PW) and had no issues.
He had chains for 37 inch, but would not work on front tires. They did fit on back tires.

Danny Cameo

Reaction score
Love all the pics. Had an interesting situation the other day. I have 35 inch Cooper STT pro's on stock Powerwagon rims and my buddy has 37 inch tires. We got into a situation where we needed chains to get out. Mine (35 inch) can handle chains. There was no way to put chains on the front of his 37 inch tires and rims. Just something to think about. I think the 37 look a little better/correct, but if you ever need chains, then reconsider 35 inch tires.
If you're referring to a stuck situation and If there's nowhere to connect that 12000 pound winch on the front of that power wagon And you have 37's.
There are many many other options besides chains. Such as, Traction Mats, extra rope to reach a Tree, ground Anchor and more.
As a Jeep guy of 30 years I can tell you there are many many other options of getting out of very sticky situations besides chains. In fact chains would be my last choice, even in snow and Ice.
The only times we use chains here in Canada, really are in the mountains in BC, in the Winter and even then that's rare.
Glad you guys got out though.

jadmt

Reaction score
If you're referring to a stuck situation and If there's nowhere to connect that 12000 pound winch on the front of that power wagon And you have 37's.
There are many many other options besides chains. Such as, Traction Mats, extra rope to reach a Tree, ground Anchor and more.
As a Jeep guy of 30 years I can tell you there are many many other options of getting out of very sticky situations besides chains. In fact chains would be my last choice, even in snow and Ice.
The only times we use chains here in Canada, really are in the mountains in BC, in the Winter and even then that's rare.
maybe they had miles of driving on snow covered ice. I have been driving in snow country since the early 70's and agree lots of ways to skin a cat but some times a sharp knife is the best and in some situations chains are the sharp knife. That said I hate chains....

chevycamaro1969

Reaction score
Agreed. Love the traction mats. All great ideas, and I have a portable winch mounted to a trailer hitch so we can pull from the back. Just wanted people to be aware of to big of tires on front and pre-test your chains before you need them. Chains work great in snow, ice and mud.

Danny Cameo

Reaction score
maybe they had miles of driving on snow covered ice. I have been driving in snow country since the early 70's and agree lots of ways to skin a cat but some times a sharp knife is the best and in some situations chains are the sharp knife. That said I hate chains....
I Hear you completely, there are many recovery situations and many ways out Of each situation.
That said I doubt they were driving on snow covered roads, since the ice roads up here to the Arctic Circle right now are thawed In July.
Was just up in Whitehorse, Yukon 2 weeks ago and no snow.
So unless they were above 10000' where there still some left (up here in the Rockies). They were probably in the mud in which case there are many better options than chains, no matter what size of tire you are running.

DrTron

Reaction score
Quick question for those running 35" tires on stock rims and stock suspension: have you ever measured the height of the (2020+) truck?
My garage door is exactly 7' high, but has a rubber lip on it sticking out about an inch or so (which I wouldn't want to scrape across the roof every time), so let's say the clearance is 83".

RAM lists the PW as 80.9" high, with an additional inch because of the tires (33 to 35), that would come to 81.9". So about an inch of clearance left.

Does that make sense or is the real height still different?

(Also, as most 35" tires are 12.5" wide, do they stick out past the fender flares?)

Thanks!

jadmt

Reaction score
Quick question for those running 35" tires on stock rims and stock suspension: have you ever measured the height of the (2020+) truck?
My garage door is exactly 7' high, but has a rubber lip on it sticking out about an inch or so (which I wouldn't want to scrape across the roof every time), so let's say the clearance is 83".

RAM lists the PW as 80.9" high, with an additional inch because of the tires (33 to 35), that would come to 81.9". So about an inch of clearance left.

(Also, as most 35" tires are 12.5" wide, do they stick out past the fender flares?)

Thanks!
every one will be a little different. I have seen over 1/2 an inch variance in same year PW's. stock tires actually measure about 31.6" when mounted on the truck and most 35's will measure ~33.5-33.7 when mounted so yes most 35's will raise your truck an inch give or take.

DrTron

Reaction score
I'm looking into Nitto Recon Grapplers (for the quiet on-road ride, won't do much offroad with the truck), and they list their 35s as 34.53" inflated diameter (obviously unloaded, so that aligns pretty well with what you've said.)

@JC

Reaction score
I debated ordering the Recon Grapplers for my wife's new 392 but they've been on backorder across the country in 35x12.5r17. The Ridge Grapplers have been holding up really well so far though on my PowerWagon at 24k miles, they're quiet, plush and never had a worry about slipping in snow or rain.

Shake N Bake

Reaction score

Thanks!
My garage is also 7' (exactly 7') and my 2021 with 35s will clear when backing in. When I pull in nose first the shark fin barely clears the rubber seal you are talking about. This past week I installed a Thuren kit (1.5" front spring) and the truck will still fit while backing in but I can not pull into the garage nose first any more.

DrTron

Reaction score
Thanks, that's good info! Interesting that it fits back first but not nose first. I suppose that's due to a bump or something at the garage entrance?
I'm not going to lift it, so I should be good with 35's, even though I usually pull in forward. I wasn't sure if the height measurement from RAM included the shark fin antenna or not, but it seems like it did. The roof wouldn't take having the rubber edge scraping across it all the time very kindly, but the (plastic) antenna casing probably won't mind.

chevycamaro1969

Reaction score

Thanks!
Mine was just over 82 inches, but not sure I got it exactly correct. Not sure I got the highest spot. I run 35 inch Cooper STT pros.

PMC

Reaction score
37" Micky Thompson Baja Legend MTZ on AEVs, Carli Pintop suspension with R2 rear springs. I'll be adding a Super Pacific X1 end of the summer so it's sitting a bit higher in back than it will be when done. Also have a Rig'd Ultra Swing Mega going on soon but not pictured.

Attachments

• 036CF4AE-07FF-45C5-BF20-BADD06D7D973_1_201_a.jpeg
    036CF4AE-07FF-45C5-BF20-BADD06D7D973_1_201_a.jpeg
    504 KB · Views: 233

Andersen24

Reaction score
37" Micky Thompson Baja Legend MTZ on AEVs, Carli Pintop suspension with R2 rear springs. I'll be adding a Super Pacific X1 end of the summer so it's sitting a bit higher in back than it will be when done. Also have a Rig'd Ultra Swing Mega going on soon but not pictured.
Wow, I am not usually a fan of red that much, but you changed my opinion with your ride! Beautiful truck!

RHINO69

Reaction score
Truck was delivered yesterday. Got the Thuren 1.5" springs on within a few hours and got the Saltas and STT Pro (37s) mounted this morning. I am obsessed with this truck.

Attachments

• pw.jpg
    pw.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 261

Andersen24

Reaction score
Truck was delivered yesterday. Got the Thuren 1.5" springs on within a few hours and got the Saltas and STT Pro (37s) mounted this morning. I am obsessed with this truck.
DUDE! @kennyarsen nothing but mad respect! Holy hell you are NOT wasting time! She looks BEAUTIFUL! Mine should be here tomorrow night!

RHINO69

Reaction score
DUDE! @kennyarsen nothing but mad respect! Holy hell you are NOT wasting time! She looks BEAUTIFUL! Mine should be here tomorrow night!
Thanks man, and congrats. Still have a Thuren rear track bar and a Rigd mega carrier spare tire carrier to throw on the rear, although I wont keep that on 24/7. I just want to see how it looks/drives with a 37 hanging off the back. Might be driving up to Nor Cal next weekend, for a RSI Smartcap. Not 100% on that yet. Really wish my Kings would show up. "5-20 months wait time", per Thuren :(

jadmt

Reaction score
Thanks man, and congrats. Still have a Thuren rear track bar and a Rigd mega carrier spare tire carrier to throw on the rear, although I wont keep that on 24/7. I just want to see how it looks/drives with a 37 hanging off the back. Might be driving up to Nor Cal next weekend, for a RSI Smartcap. Not 100% on that yet. Really wish my Kings would show up. "5-20 months wait time", per Thuren :(
I have been super impressed with my RSI.

BigSexy 64

Reaction score
That's one bad ass rig! Congrats!

Users who are viewing this thread