Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key Left Vehicle Feature (Three Horn Chirp)

How do you feel about it?

• Love it! It's a life saver!

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • I hate it! Get rid of it.

Votes: 110 33.5%
  • I'd like the option to disable it.

Votes: 213 64.9%

• Total voters

Diputs

Reaction score
Just go back to a keyed start and you won't be able to walk away with the key while it is still running. Unless you have passive entry you need to get the key our anyway to enter the locked vehicle. So why not just use it to start it since you already have it in your hand.

jebruns

Reaction score
True, but I'd guess most have passive entry. What trim level of current Ram trucks do not have passive entry? Just curious.

mkmsr

Reaction score
Big Horn doesn't have it (as of 22) unless you bought the tech package with all the cameras and 12" screen. Passive entry is the one item I wish I had but wasn't worth $4k for a bunch of other items I didn't want.

I've got into the habit of just leaving the door open when I get out with the truck running.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
True, but I'd guess most have passive entry. What trim level of current Ram trucks do not have passive entry? Just curious.
Tradesman, Bighorn, and Laramie don't have it standard

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Tradesman, Bighorn, and Laramie don't have it standard

Not sure about prior years, but by 22 it was standard on Laramie and above.

It was an option on the Power Wagon, and not available on Tradesman or Bighorn.

Diputs

Reaction score
Mine is a tradesman. Another issue I have is I will get in throw the key in the cup holder since I had it in my hand to unlock the door. When I park I just hit the button to turn off the truck and hop out and forget to grab the fob. Never forgot my key when I had to turn the truck off with a key. Maybe I'm just old, but some of the "convenience" features seem to be not so convenient.

jebruns

Reaction score
Mine is a tradesman. Another issue I have is I will get in throw the key in the cup holder since I had it in my hand to unlock the door. When I park I just hit the button to turn off the truck and hop out and forget to grab the fob. Never forgot my key when I had to turn the truck off with a key. Maybe I'm just old, but some of the "convenience" features seem to be not so convenient.
With passive entry, you would not have the keys in your hand, so not a problem there. The keys just stay in your pocket.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score

Indeed..the giant fobs are a PITA and not convenient at all, a small key was convenient.

mountainears

Reaction score
You all need to start wearing looser pants! I have no issue with the key fob in my pocket, but then again I don't attach a bunch of keys or anything to it. The minor inconvenience of haivng it in my pocket massively outweighs the convenience of just being able to walk up to my door and open it with a touch of the handle. It just stays in my pocket all the time.

OklahomaRoama

Reaction score
Make it default on but optional to disable. It would/will be one of the first things I disable. Hearing that honk honk honk makes me think "Nanny State!"

Diputs

Reaction score
With passive entry, you would not have the keys in your hand, so not a problem there. The keys just stay in your pocket.
I know, I don't have passive entry. They should make it standard on all models if they have a push button start. So you don't need to dig for your key fob.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I know, I don't have passive entry. They should make it standard on all models if they have a push button start. So you don't need to dig for your key fob.
Just hang your keys on your belt loop with a carabiner no digging required lol

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

We would like to take a moment to let you know that our team is continually receiving and reviewing your feedback. We greatly appreciate any time you’ve taken to share your opinions with us. We would also like to share some key benefits of the Three Horn Chirp regarding the Key Left Vehicle feature:
  1. Protection from being stranded-If the key leaves the vehicle, i.e. the “airport scenario.” If the driver were to drop someone off at the airport, and that person unknowingly took the key with them (purse, pocket, etc…), the driver would be allowed to drive away. Only upon reaching the destination, and keying off, would they realize they could not turn the vehicle back on. Hopefully they are somewhere (home) and can access a spare key, otherwise they would be stranded.
  2. Protection from vehicle theft-If you were to leave your vehicle running and run into your home/store/school/work/etc…, anyone could enter your vehicle and drive away. That said, once you key off you still be stranded (see point #1), but you would still be without a vehicle.
  3. Protection of vehicle occupants-See point #2, if you leave the vehicle running, an occupant (child) could also accidentally place the vehicle into drive/reverse and cause potential harm or damage.
  4. Avoids unintended fuel consumption-As simple as it sounds, and although minor consequences compared to the rest, most people don’t like to waste gas and money. Our ICE/Gasoline vehicles are allowed to idle until they run out of gas. If left running overnight, the customer could potentially find an empty gas tank in the morning.
  5. Protection from carbon monoxide-If the vehicle is left on in the garage or the “airport drop off scenario” where driver drops off passenger and passenger has only key fob. Passenger takes key fob on plane, driver continues on. By the time the driver parks and attempts to restart the vehicle, they are stranded.
We appreciate any further feedback that you may have and if you have any questions, please feel free to send our team a private message.

Ram Cares

It protects me from nothing but it certainly pisses me off... and likely some of those around me. Just woke up the campground neighbors at 5:30 again this morning. Everytime it happens I grit my teeth and grumble "you M***** F*****." Easily, without a doubt, what I HATE most about this truck.

Last edited:

superjoe83

Reaction score
It protects me from nothing but it certainly pisses me off... and likely some of those around me. Just woke up the campground neighbors at 5:30 again this morning. Everytime it happens I grit my teeth and grumble "you M***** F*****." Easily, without a doubt, what I HATE most about this truck.
You can Inhibit the horn fairly easily since you have aux switches and a VSIM, just need a relay and a little wiring.
I did this to my 3500 and it's been working perfect, I just hit aux 1 when I get out of the truck and no more horn honk

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Yeah, I've followed that project and it sounds good but then I'd have to remember to hit the switch. Yesterday morning I couldn't remember not to close the door. I was doing good getting in and out when hooking up the camper then muscle memory got the best of me. Just once is all it takes.

I'm about ready to just unhook the horn. If it weren't for the potential of DOT inspections, it would already be unhooked.

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
Last week, we left a campsite and went to the dump station. Because it was so hot and muggy, I left the truck running for my wife while I dumped tanks. The keys were in my pocket and when I left the truck and closed the door, no chirp. I was bracing for it but it didn’t happen. I was so confused, I opened the door and asked my wife if I left my keys in the truck - even though I could feel them in my pocket. I closed the door again and no chirp!

It didn’t last. After a stop and restart, the dreaded chirping happened as I’ve become used to.

@RamCares - those are good use case scenarios. All I would ask is a setting I can turn on or off for the “feature”. The same with the ^##}]%*# cross traffic alarm when backing up.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've followed that project and it sounds good but then I'd have to remember to hit the switch. Yesterday morning I couldn't remember not to close the door. I was doing good getting in and out when hooking up the camper then muscle memory got the best of me. Just once is all it takes.

I'm about ready to just unhook the horn. If it weren't for the potential of DOT inspections, it would already be unhooked.

Exactly. When you remember the switch you can remember the key.

I usually remember a split second before the door closes, after I’ve let it go.

mountainears

Reaction score
You can Inhibit the horn fairly easily since you have aux switches and a VSIM, just need a relay and a little wiring.
I did this to my 3500 and it's been working perfect, I just hit aux 1 when I get out of the truck and no more horn honk

Alternatively you can not use the Aux switches and just have it off any time the car is running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mountainears

Reaction score
Exactly. When you remember the switch you can remember the key.

I usually remember a split second before the door closes, after I’ve let it go.

Yea, remembering to hit the switch is what I did it where it is always bypassed when the truck is running yet the horn still works. Don’t even have to think about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread