Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key Left Vehicle Feature (Three Horn Chirp)

How do you feel about it?

• Love it! It's a life saver!

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • I hate it! Get rid of it.

Votes: 110 33.5%
  • I'd like the option to disable it.

Votes: 213 64.9%

• Total voters

2019_Ram

Reaction score
Whoever thought this horn honk was a good thing has never had it honk at the wrong time with the wrong individual around and then be threatened by an armed person on the verge of snapping! I don't find this a very good safety feature! I'm still not over it and the horn remains unplugged. Kinda backwards of how a safety feature is supposed to work, ain't it?

antolod

Reaction score
My 2017 did not do this. The 2019 at work does not do this. Why in the name of all that's holy did anyone thing this was a good idea. Make it user selectable and update the software on the 2022s.

mountainears

Reaction score
I have everything I need to get on mountainears method for getting rid of the chirp except for the Yazaki terminal. I'm a little nervous, but as soon as it is here I am killing it or going to break something trying.

I was a little nervous but once you see it you’ll hopefully see it is not that bad. Once you get the terminal out getting the new one in is a piece of cake.

The whole thing seemed like a lot but once I was done it didn’t seem so bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigDaddyKong

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

We would like to take a moment to let you know that our team is continually receiving and reviewing your feedback. We greatly appreciate any time you’ve taken to share your opinions with us. We would also like to share some key benefits of the Three Horn Chirp regarding the Key Left Vehicle feature:
  1. Protection from being stranded-If the key leaves the vehicle, i.e. the “airport scenario.” If the driver were to drop someone off at the airport, and that person unknowingly took the key with them (purse, pocket, etc…), the driver would be allowed to drive away. Only upon reaching the destination, and keying off, would they realize they could not turn the vehicle back on. Hopefully they are somewhere (home) and can access a spare key, otherwise they would be stranded.
  2. Protection from vehicle theft-If you were to leave your vehicle running and run into your home/store/school/work/etc…, anyone could enter your vehicle and drive away. That said, once you key off you still be stranded (see point #1), but you would still be without a vehicle.
  3. Protection of vehicle occupants-See point #2, if you leave the vehicle running, an occupant (child) could also accidentally place the vehicle into drive/reverse and cause potential harm or damage.
  4. Avoids unintended fuel consumption-As simple as it sounds, and although minor consequences compared to the rest, most people don’t like to waste gas and money. Our ICE/Gasoline vehicles are allowed to idle until they run out of gas. If left running overnight, the customer could potentially find an empty gas tank in the morning.
  5. Protection from carbon monoxide-If the vehicle is left on in the garage or the “airport drop off scenario” where driver drops off passenger and passenger has only key fob. Passenger takes key fob on plane, driver continues on. By the time the driver parks and attempts to restart the vehicle, they are stranded.
We appreciate any further feedback that you may have and if you have any questions, please feel free to send our team a private message.

Ram Cares
1. What driver gives a passenger the keys that is leaving on a trip while they are in the vehicle?
2. I am more apt to leave the keys in the vehicle while its running in the winter time to run into the store, thus you are increasing the chance my vehicle will be stolen.
3. The children will die of heat stroke without the AC running. Someone may also bust out my window, causing me more damage. Are you saying we can't be trusted with children?
4. Did Gretta Thunberg help you write this? Have you looked at the sticker price of your vehicles lately? A little fuel waste is going to concern someone that drives a truck that gets our gas milage?
5. Did you even proof read this before you posted it. You go from Carbon Monoxide back to being stranded from the airport. Step away from the crack pipe please.

This is the problem, Ram thinks they know its buyers better than we know ourselves. Why not just post this and be honest about it.
1687394345749.png

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
All the new vehicles seem to be doing it the GM trucks do it i thought i heard the fords were doing it now too. It must be something the government pushed otherwise why would they all be doing it.

werard

Reaction score
As funny as it may sound the key leaving the vehicle and the driver driving off happened to my wife and I in her jeep. She had fob in her purse I dropped her at the store entrance went to otherside of lot to get gas. Good thing I realized she had taken fob before I turned off car or I would have been unable to start it again.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
The list of things I dislike about the truck is too long for typing…this would be far down on it though, it’s probably the most benign and least bothersome tech in the vehicle.

Thisnthat

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

We would like to take a moment to let you know that our team is continually receiving and reviewing your feedback. We greatly appreciate any time you’ve taken to share your opinions with us. We would also like to share some key benefits of the Three Horn Chirp regarding the Key Left Vehicle feature:
  1. Protection from being stranded-If the key leaves the vehicle, i.e. the “airport scenario.” If the driver were to drop someone off at the airport, and that person unknowingly took the key with them (purse, pocket, etc…), the driver would be allowed to drive away. Only upon reaching the destination, and keying off, would they realize they could not turn the vehicle back on. Hopefully they are somewhere (home) and can access a spare key, otherwise they would be stranded.
  2. Protection from vehicle theft-If you were to leave your vehicle running and run into your home/store/school/work/etc…, anyone could enter your vehicle and drive away. That said, once you key off you still be stranded (see point #1), but you would still be without a vehicle.
  3. Protection of vehicle occupants-See point #2, if you leave the vehicle running, an occupant (child) could also accidentally place the vehicle into drive/reverse and cause potential harm or damage.
  4. Avoids unintended fuel consumption-As simple as it sounds, and although minor consequences compared to the rest, most people don’t like to waste gas and money. Our ICE/Gasoline vehicles are allowed to idle until they run out of gas. If left running overnight, the customer could potentially find an empty gas tank in the morning.
  5. Protection from carbon monoxide-If the vehicle is left on in the garage or the “airport drop off scenario” where driver drops off passenger and passenger has only key fob. Passenger takes key fob on plane, driver continues on. By the time the driver parks and attempts to restart the vehicle, they are stranded.
We appreciate any further feedback that you may have and if you have any questions, please feel free to send our team a private message.

Ram Cares

This poster must have lost a bet or something. To post this five months after the initial post that gave owners hope "something" would be done - either by creating an update that allows the owner to toggle this on/off or at a minimum reducing the aggressive nature of the notification - is perplexing to say the least.

Would imagine that very few people acknowledge the three honk notification by returning to the vehicle and either leaving the keys in the vehicle or turning it off. Most go on with what they were doing anyway...

Anyway - I'll play along and add a few characteristics as well

- Protection from the horn becoming inoperable without the owner knowing it.
- Notifying possible thieves that an eligible vehicle is nearby.
- Will reduce your hearing capabilities...as I'm blasted 6x with the horn every time I open a gate, drive through said gate, and then close the gate.
Yes - I'm aware I can leave the fob in the truck. Maybe I should, so when it gets stolen, the thief wouldn't be stranded.

Alligator John

Reaction score
It looks like the horn fuse is number 42 in the fuse box. Can anyone verify that the horn is the only thing on this circuit?
My truck is finally out of Mexico, so it's time to look closer at my fix for this. I got a used C7 Corvette exhaust valve switch from Mountainears to try out. It is basically a RF switched fuse plug and play pigtail and fob. These normally cost around 80 bucks, but pre made generic switched fuse pigtails are on ebay dirt cheap and RF controllers with fobs are not expensive either if one wanted to use one instead of a wiring in a manual switch in the cab. I was going to pair mine to a Homelink button, but the Corvette one would take up two buttons, one on, one off and I have other plans for my garage door buttons. There are RF controllers that can be programmed to use a single button for on/off and I may do that at a later time to pair to my last open homelink button, but no more often that I would disable my horn, I think I am just going to velcro the horn disconnect fob to a spot on the inside wall of my console. That way I can easily turn off the horn during times when I am at the hunting leases, boat ramp, farm where I do hog control, and so on without having to open the hood to pull the fuse. So I think I got this figured out and just need to weatherproof the pigtail I got from mountainears for a simple plug and play solution, but again, I need to make sure the horn is the only thing used on that circuit. TIA

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
This poster must have lost a bet or something. To post this five months after the initial post that gave owners hope "something" would be done - either by creating an update that allows the owner to toggle this on/off or at a minimum reducing the aggressive nature of the notification - is perplexing to say the least.

Would imagine that very few people acknowledge the three honk notification by returning to the vehicle and either leaving the keys in the vehicle or turning it off. Most go on with what they were doing anyway...

Anyway - I'll play along and add a few characteristics as well

- Protection from the horn becoming inoperable without the owner knowing it.
- Notifying possible thieves that an eligible vehicle is nearby.
- Will reduce your hearing capabilities...as I'm blasted 6x with the horn every time I open a gate, drive through said gate, and then close the gate.
Yes - I'm aware I can leave the fob in the truck. Maybe I should, so when it gets stolen, the thief wouldn't be stranded.
They did not say anything would or would not be done in their update….

snayte

Reaction score
As funny as it may sound the key leaving the vehicle and the driver driving off happened to my wife and I in her jeep. She had fob in her purse I dropped her at the store entrance went to otherside of lot to get gas. Good thing I realized she had taken fob before I turned off car or I would have been unable to start it again.
So that can be an alert to the driver via the EVIC one that I would argue should chime continuously until a FOB has been returned to the vehicle.

snayte

Reaction score
It looks like the horn fuse is number 42 in the fuse box. Can anyone verify that the horn is the only thing on this circuit?
My truck is finally out of Mexico, so it's time to look closer at my fix for this. I got a used C7 Corvette exhaust valve switch from Mountainears to try out. It is basically a RF switched fuse plug and play pigtail and fob. These normally cost around 80 bucks, but pre made generic switched fuse pigtails are on ebay dirt cheap and RF controllers with fobs are not expensive either if one wanted to use one instead of a wiring in a manual switch in the cab. I was going to pair mine to a Homelink button, but the Corvette one would take up two buttons, one on, one off and I have other plans for my garage door buttons. There are RF controllers that can be programmed to use a single button for on/off and I may do that at a later time to pair to my last open homelink button, but no more often that I would disable my horn, I think I am just going to velcro the horn disconnect fob to a spot on the inside wall of my console. That way I can easily turn off the horn during times when I am at the hunting leases, boat ramp, farm where I do hog control, and so on without having to open the hood to pull the fuse. So I think I got this figured out and just need to weatherproof the pigtail I got from mountainears for a simple plug and play solution, but again, I need to make sure the horn is the only thing used on that circuit. TIA
Could the fuse be pulled and then that circuit wired through an AUX switch so I could turn on/off the horn via AUX?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
So that can be an alert to the driver via the EVIC one that I would argue should chime continuously until a FOB has been returned to the vehicle.
It does that too…. The three horn honk is not needed, or continuous making it less effective.

mountainears

Reaction score
Could the fuse be pulled and then that circuit wired through an AUX switch so I could turn on/off the horn via AUX?

You would need to get under the fuse box like I did for the method I wrote up using the VSIM. This way the horn would still work. You would leave the fuse in place, just interrupt the power with an AUX switch.

While it is really not bad to pull the fuse panel, if you’re going through that effort, you may as well leverage the VSIM or other relays to just have it automatically do it for you rather than pushing a button. There is a risk that you forget to turn it on and then you don’t have a horn when you need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alligator John

Reaction score
That is what I am doing. A picture speaks a 1000 words. So as a way to explain it look at this $13 pigtail from china on ebay. It would be a very simple thing to build. The Corvette one uses a different fuse holder that is built into the plug that goes into the fuse box so it is more compact and then uses a small wireless controller with keyless fob, but it is the same concept. But I do still need to make sure there is nothing but the horn that is affected by switching off that fuse. If one was worried about forgetting to turn it back on, you could include a mini time delay relay that turns the horn back on at a set period of time every time you reenergized the circuit. Of course I guess this would happen every time you start your truck too and not just every time you off on a switch. Lots of the mini timer relays on ebay and amazon fairly inexpensive, but do require buying a programmer with them to set the function.
"Upon application of input voltage, the time delay (t) begins. At the end of the time delay (t), the output is energized. Input voltage must be removed to reset the time delay relay & de-energize the output."

s-l500.png

Last edited:

CaptainMike

Reaction score
These scenarios appear to be part of a whiteboard session in the engineering department at a time when they had nothing better to do. Kind of like a government agency and with the same bullsh*t results. Scenarios like this are so rare as to be one-offs, but now all of us have to deal with this unwanted and unnecessary feature cuz they were the smartest people in the room and all agreed. Just like the guvmint does to us every moment of every day.

How about those engineers and executives focus on making a transmission that doesn't completely fail without warning on a busy freeway or in the middle of nowhere, or a grid heater relay that doesn't destroy our engines let alone our homes. Now THOSE would be important safety features I think most of us could really get behind, rather than a truck that honks at us and our entire neighborhood when we step out to check the mail.

Last edited:

flan

Reaction score
For the time being y’all are going to have to get in the muscle memory of holding the fob up to the back glass while closing the front door if you don’t want to hear the chirp. My 19 does not do it and I like that, but I have a 23 Durango in production and guess I’m just going to have to deal with it. At least there IS sort of an option....

Users who are viewing this thread