Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Instrument Panel Mounted Aux Switches

Thedaran

Reaction score
Looking to order my 2022 Ram Big Horn this weekend, and unsure of the aux switch panel. I foresee needing a total of 2 aux switches added, is there panels or slots where these can be added or do I need to have the option factory aux switch panel to even have a place to put another switch?

b307a1

Reaction score
Looking to order my 2022 Ram Big Horn this weekend, and unsure of the aux switch panel. I foresee needing a total of 2 aux switches added, is there panels or slots where these can be added or do I need to have the option factory aux switch panel to even have a place to put another switch?
Just get the auxiliary swtches.It will be the best $145.00 that you spend on that vehicle.
You will be glad you did.

DeepH20Driller

Reaction score
If you don’t, see my post, in reply to yours, in the 22 build thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
The Aux switches are well worth the upfront cost! They give you a lot of control through the EVIC. You can change them to work with ignition on or off. You can make them a standard on-off switch or momentary on (such as for a horn). The Power Distribution Center is included. The newer trucks have a lot more wires fed through to the cab too. A no-brainer at $145.

Thedaran

Reaction score
So what is the difference between this aux switch panel and that upfitter electronic module? Do you need both?

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
So what is the difference between this aux switch panel and that upfitter electronic module? Do you need both?
No, you don’t need both, as they are two completely different features. The upfitter module is the VSIM, and deals with various digital outputs such as locks, lighting, wigwags, etc.
You would only want the aux switches, which come with the auxiliary fuse/relay box already set up in the engine compartment, with easily configurable outputs in the engine bay, under the dash, and at the bumper, so you have minimal wiring to run to any accessory anywhere without having to pull wires through the firewall. You can program how each switch behaves at any time- battery power, ignition power, remember last state on restart, etc. This is one option that anyone should add for it’s price, even if they don’t think they’ll ever use it, because it’s such a pain and expensive to add in full factory form as an afterthought.

mcarey

Reaction score
Is this an option on the Power Wagon? I don't remember seeing it, and definitely would have liked to have had it. Obviously nothing I can do about it now, but still rather curious.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Is this an option on the Power Wagon? I don't remember seeing it, and definitely would have liked to have had it. Obviously nothing I can do about it now, but still rather curious.
No, for whatever reason, they don’t offer it on the power wagon.

Thedaran

Reaction score
No, you don’t need both, as they are two completely different features. The upfitter module is the VSIM, and deals with various digital outputs such as locks, lighting, wigwags, etc.
You would only want the aux switches, which come with the auxiliary fuse/relay box already set up in the engine compartment, with easily configurable outputs in the engine bay, under the dash, and at the bumper, so you have minimal wiring to run to any accessory anywhere without having to pull wires through the firewall. You can program how each switch behaves at any time- battery power, ignition power, remember last state on restart, etc. This is one option that anyone should add for it’s price, even if they don’t think they’ll ever use it, because it’s such a pain and expensive to add in full factory form as an afterthought.
OK, so my follow up question is what exactly does the upfitter module (VSIM) do, and how beneficial can this be to have?

Reaction score
What is the best place to pass wired through the firewall from the aux block connectors?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
What is the best place to pass wired through the firewall from the aux block connectors?

19-20 trucks have a single pass-through circuit.
21+ trucks have 5 pass-through circuits total.
Both have IGN+ and BAT+ circuits also in the upfitter jumper that's in the cab that is required to get power to the rear of the truck and 1 or 2 of the pass-through circuits depending on year.

No real need to pull more wires on the 21+ trucks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Both have IGN+ and BAT+ circuits also in the upfitter jumper that's in the cab that is required to get power to the rear of the truck and 1 or 2 of the pass-through circuits depending on year.

Thx Brutal_HO

Reaction score

Wired up my first Aux switch tonight! Very easy once I gathered all the info from aux-pass-thru-wiring thread. A lot of great information on there. Plan on adding more a little later. Thx @Brutal_HO for pointing me in the right direction.

Users who are viewing this thread