Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installed a Pulsar on my 2019

eljefe

Reaction score
I just purchased mine today. Looking forward to getting it and seeing what it does. Hoping for better fuel economy and of course the fun of extra hp and torque. I do pull a 8000lb travel trailer half a dozen times a year so interested in how this will add to the great job the hemi does already.

Firebird

Reaction score
I just purchased mine today. Looking forward to getting it and seeing what it does. Hoping for better fuel economy and of course the fun of extra hp and torque. I do pull a 8000lb travel trailer half a dozen times a year so interested in how this will add to the great job the hemi does already.
I never really noticed an increase in economy when I had it, but it did improve overall drivability. Pulling my 10,000 pound trailer, I was pretty much getting 7mpg with or without the Pulsar. Where it shined the most was in town driving.

dieselscout80

Reaction score
I never really noticed an increase in economy when I had it, but it did improve overall drivability. Pulling my 10,000 pound trailer, I was pretty much getting 7mpg with or without the Pulsar. Where it shined the most was in town driving.
How did improve in town driving?

Firebird

Reaction score
How did improve in town driving?
Power delivery was better, ran with MDS off too. I liked how it shifted, revved hard, pulled a little better through the power band too. There was no aspect of it that I didn’t like, but it definitely didn’t up my fuel economy.

kevin588127

Reaction score
Been looking into the pulsar and from what I gather, it really just adjusts the throttle trims. So any fuel savings will likely be seen in stop and go driving and mainly if you run it in eco mode, it will cause you to apply less throttle. That part is appealing as is the ability to shut off the MDS but don't know that I want to pay 600 bucks to do it.

My previous truck was a ram 1500 with a vararam intake, shorty headers and jay Greene custom tune. I can tell you that the only one that made any difference was the vararam and it was only in the upper rpms. The custom tune did very little for performance or fuel economy. Same with the headers, only did them because of the manifold issue but there was no seat of the pants gain. I'm hesitant to start messing with this one

Riccochet

Reaction score
Been looking into the pulsar and from what I gather, it really just adjusts the throttle trims. So any fuel savings will likely be seen in stop and go driving and mainly if you run it in eco mode, it will cause you to apply less throttle. That part is appealing as is the ability to shut off the MDS but don't know that I want to pay 600 bucks to do it.

My previous truck was a ram 1500 with a vararam intake, shorty headers and jay Greene custom tune. I can tell you that the only one that made any difference was the vararam and it was only in the upper rpms. The custom tune did very little for performance or fuel economy. Same with the headers, only did them because of the manifold issue but there was no seat of the pants gain. I'm hesitant to start messing with this one
I had the opposite experience with Hemifever tuning. It was the first mod I did. His 91 tune was night and day better than stock. Could roast the tires from a stop or slow roll. I never saw an increase in fuel economy, though I wasn't actively trying to get better fuel economy.

kevin588127

Reaction score
I had the opposite experience with Hemifever tuning. It was the first mod I did. His 91 tune was night and day better than stock. Could roast the tires from a stop or slow roll. I never saw an increase in fuel economy, though I wasn't actively trying to get better fuel economy.
I should have mentioned, I wasn't really after acceleration performance. My truck would roast the tires stock. I was looking just to free up some usable HP for towing and it didn't really do that. I found the towing tunes to work the best for what I was doing. I also believe that most of the performance gains with the custom tunes is due to them playing with the throttle trims, though they claim to make timing and fueling changes.

Users who are viewing this thread