Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installed a Pulsar on my 2019

Firebird

Reaction score
I installed mine two weeks ago, I can tell a big difference between stock and performance/towing. I have tried all the different tunes and am using the economy setting right now, I get about 1.5 more mpg and unless I am towing I will keep it there.
I would like to run that setting, but I'm having too much fun on performance!

sshafer

Reaction score
I ran it in performance for about a week, went down to around 13.1 mpg and you have to run premium gas. It did like it but have no reason other than the fun factor.
I would like to run that setting, but I'm having too much fun on performance!

Squatch

Reaction score
I ran it in performance for about a week, went down to around 13.1 mpg and you have to run premium gas. It did like it but have no reason other than the fun factor.
Do you have to run premium gas on the economy tune?

sixty-niner

Reaction score
this is great news, I have read so many forum threads with people complaining about the pulsar. This gives me hope that they finally got all of the bugs worked out.

jeepkevin

Reaction score
I installed mine and kinda having mixed results. In the MDS off setting it still goes into MDS mode. I contacted them, gave them serial number and they put in a request with the engineers to see if they can figure out problem. I bought the cable to do the update but waiting on them to see what's up. I drive a mix of city and hwy for my commute and not seeing much change in mileage, defiantly more fun to drive.

Huntet02

Reaction score
Brand new here: following . Just got our 2020 hemi’ for farm use-but good God were only getting 8-10 MPG so will be introducing ourselves to all these tuners/performance mods.
Happy with it so far …Pulls like a dream … just can’t afford to drive it.

Attachments

• C6B610E9-75CC-4B6A-B621-A5E95D1CA39C.jpeg
    C6B610E9-75CC-4B6A-B621-A5E95D1CA39C.jpeg
    595.2 KB · Views: 42

jeepkevin

Reaction score
Just an update, talked to Superchips and they are sending me a cable and instructions to call back into them for a special update procedure. I'm really excited about this. He didn't say but made me feel like they have had this issue before and they have a fix. I'm good with that. My truck was built 2/21. I'll update when the update process is complete.

JimKIII

Reaction score
Just an update, talked to Superchips and they are sending me a cable and instructions to call back into them for a special update procedure. I'm really excited about this. He didn't say but made me feel like they have had this issue before and they have a fix. I'm good with that. My truck was built 2/21. I'll update when the update process is complete.
So to be clear, the Pulsar allows for disabling MDS without having to toggle the manual shift bottons on the steering wheel? Is it a permanent disable or does one have to disable every time the engine is started?

Also, the Edge Pulsar website does not offer a unit for the 2022 6.4L yet.

jeepkevin

Reaction score
The unit is advertised to disable the MDS and you don't have to hit the gear shift buttons every time you start. In my display screen with the Pulsar, you can select MDS disable on each of the performance levels but it does't work. They are sending me a cable to update the unit. I'm still waiting on the cable but it's only been a few days.

JimKIII

Reaction score
The unit is advertised to disable the MDS and you don't have to hit the gear shift buttons every time you start. In my display screen with the Pulsar, you can select MDS disable on each of the performance levels but it does't work. They are sending me a cable to update the unit. I'm still waiting on the cable but it's only been a few days.
It will be interesting if it works. I was under the impression to make a change like disabling MDS, one would need to unlock the ECM. But maybe the MDS system isn't controlled by the ECM?

JimKIII

Reaction score
I asked support at Edge Products if the Pulsar that is for the 2021 RAM 6.4L V8 will work with the 2022 models, since they don't offer it on the web site. Here is the response to me:

Hey Jim,
The Pulsar will not work for the 22 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi. We are still working on support as of right now. We don’t have an ETA at the moment, unfortunately. I assume that it will be available early next year.
Electronic Communications
888-360-3343
Edgeproducts.com | Superchips.com
Diablosport.com | Rangetechnology.com

JimKIII

Reaction score
I aked Edge Products support another question as to whether the Pulsar bypasses the ECM when disabling MDS - and therefore the ECM doesn't need to be unlocked for that feature.
Support's answer:

"Correct, in order for the Pulsar to disable the MDS, the ECM does not need to be unlocked. The Pulsar is our workaround for the locked ECM. It modifies the signals after they leave the computer."

jeepkevin

Reaction score
So after a few thousand miles on the Pulsar and doing the update, MDS is now disabled. Whenever I put it in drive, the gear indicator simply goes to manual mode automatically. I do like the device and wish it had more options at this price point. I drove around in performance for a while but the gas pedal sensitivity was so much, I didn't like to drive that way in traffic. I then drove around for several thousand miles at tow tune. This was prob my fave but gas mileage dropped about 2 miles per gallon. I then drove around in stock, yup pretty much stock. I'm on 35"s with stock gears and economy gauge sits at 13.6 after most tanks. I have not programmed for tire size. Economy makes the gas pedal feel like a limp noodle. Got to push the heck out of it to go anywhere, didn't like that.

I always fill up with mid grade. I have towed 10k a number of time and do believe the tow tune has a little seat of the pants improvement. When you change performance levels it seems like it takes a few drives for the transmission to relearn and give an acceptable shift pattern. It might hang in gear a bit or downshift early till it relearns.

Overall I'm happy? I think? I guess? I'm not gonna to take it off but look forward to what options we get in the future.

R.A.F

Reaction score
I asked support at Edge Products if the Pulsar that is for the 2021 RAM 6.4L V8 will work with the 2022 models, since they don't offer it on the web site. Here is the response to me:

Hey Jim,
The Pulsar will not work for the 22 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi. We are still working on support as of right now. We don’t have an ETA at the moment, unfortunately. I assume that it will be available early next year.
Electronic Communications
888-360-3343
Edgeproducts.com | Superchips.com
Diablosport.com | Rangetechnology.com
Pulsar for 2022 6.4 Hemi is now available from Edge. Appears to work well.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Smitty2ndmp

Reaction score
Pulsar for 2022 6.4 Hemi is now available from Edge. Appears to work well.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
You getting any better MPG? I have a 22 Tradesman 4:10 gears stock wheels and tires. Getting 11-11.8 mpg city.

jeepkevin

Reaction score
That was me. I don't remember every going to their website to do a review. They sent me their obd 2 cable free and I used their online update tool and it worked. Every once in a while, I'll be driving and notice the MDS has kicked in. The programmer just forces you into manual mode when you put it in drive. The gear position indicator is working as if you did it manually by hitting the gears buttons on the steering wheel. It seems to only happen when I have to Austin Powers a turn or I'm boxed in parking or some really unique situation. It has prob done it 5 times in the last 5000 miles. Other then that it corrects the speedo and gives me a little more get up and go.

I drove about 5 tanks in a row in economy setting, I think I can feel the truck not running exactly right. Maybe hesitation, maybe it's just my foot bouncing on the accelerator and with their preprogrammed sensitivity setting it just seems weird. Now I just stay in tow/haul. Gas mileage seems more based on how you drive the truck then anything to do with the programmer. When I tow, I fill with premium, otherwise I just run 87 and I'm real consistent now at 13mpg with my combined city and hwy commute. I hand calculate and watch the lie o meter. They are within a couple tenths.

Users who are viewing this thread