Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to override the navigation keyboard

John Jensen

Reaction score
I finally found a dislike for my 2020 Ram 3500 Laramie HO Nav system.
When doing a "go to" I can get to the state and the city. But when I try typing in the street address the keyboard only lites the key it thinks belongs. The other keys remain dark and you cannot type them into the address. For example. I found Litchfield, Arizona but cannot type the street address Devonshire. It only lights enough keys to get to De. So I cannot complete the "go to". To get it completed I had to Google the address to get the coordinates, entered them into the Nav and that worked. Is there any way to override the dark keys to complete a street address?

phatboy64

Reaction score
For whatever the reason it doesn’t have the street in that city in its “database” so even if you were to be able to finish typing the street name it wouldn’t know how to find it. Does the street show up in other naves like waze

PRS

Reaction score

CdnHO

Reaction score
I suspect that any dark letters are not in the database. The letters that are lit are the only ones that are in the names in the database. At least that is what I found. And I think my Garmin was the same way.

John Jensen

Reaction score
For whatever the reason it doesn’t have the street in that city in its “database” so even if you were to be able to finish typing the street name it wouldn’t know how to find it. Does the street show up in other naves like waze
The street is an old street and shows up in all other naves and programs. As I stated, I was able to get the coordinates, I entered them into the Nav and that worked.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I suspect that any dark letters are not in the database. The letters that are lit are the only ones that are in the names in the database. At least that is what I found. And I think my Garmin was the same way.

Correct, it does make it easier to search.

The issue @John Jensen has will need to be resolved with a database update, not a keyboard change.

@John Jensen what does the map show when you get to the missing location ?

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
I finally found a dislike for my 2020 Ram 3500 Laramie HO Nav system.
When doing a "go to" I can get to the state and the city. But when I try typing in the street address the keyboard only lites the key it thinks belongs. The other keys remain dark and you cannot type them into the address. For example. I found Litchfield, Arizona but cannot type the street address Devonshire. It only lights enough keys to get to De. So I cannot complete the "go to". To get it completed I had to Google the address to get the coordinates, entered them into the Nav and that worked. Is there any way to override the dark keys to complete a street address?
I don’t see a Litchfield AZ, but Litchfield Park pops up. The only Devonshire that I can find on all map platforms is W Devonshire Ave, so try typing a “W” first.

John Jensen

Reaction score
So mine is the same way for Devonshire.
There is a spot on the Uconnect site for checking for map updates. https://chryslergroup.navigation.com/home/en_US/ChryslerNA/USD?ProgramUUID=oM4K5GXK5YIAAAFIqrMGMXnq From there you select your vehicle and through the next pages designate your system. It shows you how to find and enter your application version from the dealer mode. I have 40.1 as well but it says there is a map update for my version.
Might try checking that.
Perfect information. I'll try that. URL and see what it tells me.
This URL says I'm up to date: https://www.driveuconnect.com/support/software-update.html

Thanks for testing the street name on your truck - much appreciated. Good to know yours is the same, confirms that my 40.1 is OK.
If it requires a Map update they are expensive and several reports of dissatisfaction. I'll use my Garmin Nuvi, it's always accurate.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Not to highjack this thread but the goofy gal living in my dash is dumber than a box of rocks.

John Jensen

Reaction score
I don’t see a Litchfield AZ, but Litchfield Park pops up. The only Devonshire that I can find on all map platforms is W Devonshire Ave, so try typing a “W” first.
Correct, it's Litchfield Park and W Devonshire. Tried using "W" and several other combinations. All with same results, can only get W DE or DE, never lights up a "V"

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Perfect information. I'll try that. URL and see what it tells me.
This URL says I'm up to date: https://www.driveuconnect.com/support/software-update.html

Thanks for testing the street name on your truck - much appreciated. Good to know yours is the same, confirms that my 40.1 is OK.
If it requires a Map update they are expensive and several reports of dissatisfaction. I'll use my Garmin Nuvi, it's always accurate.

That URL only works on trucks up thru 2017.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
That's the only thing you don't like about it? The fact that some addresses aren't in the database is just something we have to live with. Seems to be fairly rare in my experience.

My biggest dislike would be that the truck has to be stopped to enter anything. I get the concept but there's times when it's just unnecessary nanny state BS, like when I have a rider that could be entering a destination.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I guess I don't understand why people keep trying to use the Baked in Nav.
It is the biggest piece of crap from any manufacturer
AA or CarPLay are significantly better... and you can download maps for off line use if that is a concern.

Last edited:

John Jensen

Reaction score
AA or CarPLay are significantly better... and you can download maps for off line use if that is a concern.
Not hard to understand. I use it because it's there and up to now it has performed perfectly for my use.
Don't need to download any maps as have Google Maps on my Samsung and current maps on my Garmin Nuvi
Not a piece of crap for me as it's been very useful and accurate. It just has a poor address entry process.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

Exactly why I ordered my truck without it. Overpriced junk.

mountainears

Reaction score
Most factory Nav that I have used is junk. But I have to say the one on these trucks is not bad and I do use it at various times and don’t mind it at all. I do prefer my CarPlay connected version, but sometimes I don’t want to burn my battery or it’s convenient to just use the factory whereas in other cars I go out of my way to not use the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread