Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Honking - chirping - 3 three horn beeps honks chirps - when I leave my vehicle - merged threads

MTRanchRam

Reaction score
Just found this thread. Extremely disappointing. I’m wondering if Tazer can implement something that can disable this?

I’m typically a pretty easy going person, but this is one of those “features” that makes me rage. I absolutely HATE it!

Cummins4ever

Reaction score
This new feature on the 22s is absolutely ridiculous. Around the farm I always leave my fob in my coat pocket and jump out while the truck is running to hook something up, feed livestock, etc....and the three loud honks come blaring out. I couldn’t imagine living in town and dealing with this when warming up the truck or something. Ram needs to make this an option for dealers to be able to disable if the customer asks and I’d be fine signing a liability waiver to do so if they are that worried about it. Or at the very least, change it to a low single honk.

Thisnthat

Reaction score
yep other brands have the ability to change that notification (my 2019 $22k Honda accord has that capability)

BCCA

Reaction score
Anyone wire the horn to a the normally closed part of a relay then open the circuit by hitting the aux switches? If the switch is on the. No horn. Just hit it before exit.

I’m surprised the after market doesn’t have a simple harness to plug between factory harness and horn.

Swrock

Reaction score
I hated this feature at first. If I gotta close the door while truck is running I just leave the fob in it.
Then today I got out at Lowe's, hit the door lock, closed the door and got the 3 honks.
My fob had fallen out of my pocket and went between the seat and console, I did not know it had fallen out of my pocket as I use the door lock to lock the truck.
So I guess it came in useful today.

MTRanchRam

Reaction score
I hated this feature at first. If I gotta close the door while truck is running I just leave the fob in it.
Then today I got out at Lowe's, hit the door lock, closed the door and got the 3 honks.
My fob had fallen out of my pocket and went between the seat and console, I did not know it had fallen out of my pocket as I use the door lock to lock the truck.
So I guess it came in useful today.

That’s easily mitigated. I never lock the car without the FOB unless I’m sitting in it. I mean, you have a FOB, why in the world would you use the button on the door?

Shadowboxin20

Reaction score
That’s easily mitigated. I never lock the car without the FOB unless I’m sitting in it. I mean, you have a FOB, why in the world would you use the button on the door?
Mynn bnb problem is for 13 years now I have always locked it with the button on my 350 and used the keypad to open and didn’t have to carry keys. It was fantastic

Swrock

Reaction score
Cause my old wore out chevy didnt have a fob, just used to hitting the door lock out of habit.

BubbaWilkins

Reaction score
It was a proposed change to the Vehicle Safety Standard list of mandated safety features. https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...ards-theft-protection-and-rollaway-prevention

The same section also requires you to push the brake before starting a vehicle along with other measures to prevent roll away accidents and children being left in the vehicle.

You don't have to like it, but you might as well get used to it.

Last edited:

OfficerDirtySanchez

Reaction score
It's a federally mandated safety feature. https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...-114-theft-protection-and-rollaway-prevention

The same section also requires you to push the brake before starting a vehicle along with other measures to prevent roll away accidents and children being left in the vehicle.

You don't have to like it, but you might as well get used to it.
Which specific section do you interpret to require this behavior? It's not sticking out to me after one read through.

BubbaWilkins

Reaction score
Which specific section do you interpret to require this behavior? It's not sticking out to me after one read through.
Sorry, I was not able to find a direct link to it in the federal vehicle standard. What I meant to link was the document listing it as a proposed change back in 2012 which I have now edited it in.
The specific wording was: "Add a requirement for an external alert that sounds when the driver leaves a keyless ignition vehicle with the propulsion system active."

While I wasn't able to verify whether this was officially incorporated, it appears most manufacturers are implementing features as though it was.

Here's the current status of the Rule change: https://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/eAgendaViewRule?pubId=202204&RIN=2127-AK88

Dingo

Reaction score
I started a thread to track my progress as I work towards solving this issue...

For those looking for a quick temporary solution, you can remove the fuse to the horn. Do this at your own risk, video describes how to do such (You can fast forward to 2:15 where he removes the fuse)

He also provides a solution where he installs a relay to take care of the 3-horn chirp "feature"

I hate that the horn beeps when I lock the truck too. So removing the fuse might be a double win for me.

Users who are viewing this thread