Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hitch Weight vs Payload

drisso88

Reaction score
Quick question as this is my first time owning a truck or really towing much of anything. Recently bought a '21 2500 6.7 Laramie with the intent of getting a little toy hauler and some toys. Fast forward to everyone still smoking crack in the house market, looking more like its more cost effective to get a nicer 5th wheel toy hauler and live in that for about a year until the market corrects. I looked up my max weights via the Ram towing guide by VIN, and it looks like my max payload is 2042 lbs and max towing is 16,740. Now the trailer I'm looking at is 14,300 lbs dry, so no issues with the actual towing (I think) but the hitch weight is 2,900 lbs. Does that mean I can't tow it, since it'll be hitched in the bed? New to this so any info would be great, thanks!

JA345

Reaction score
Correct, 2500’s (especially with the 6.7) have notoriously low payload values. You will be FAR exceeding your payload with that (and most) 5th wheels. Payload includes pin weight, hitch weight (my auto slide hitch + bracket is almost 400lbs…), your weight plus passengers, anything else you have in the truck, etc. That all goes to your payload. 1 ton 3500 is the way to go if you’re looking to stay within manufacturer payload/tow limits. My 3500 SRW SO Cummins mega has 4,090 payload for reference.

CdnHO

Reaction score
With most fifth wheels the pin weight will go way up once mom loads her stuff in it. LOL @JA345 is correct. You don't have enough truck for a decent sized fifth wheel.

RichM752

Reaction score
Save some weight by installing a BW gooseneck hitch, and switch out the 5th wheel hitch to a Reese Goosebox. Airbags will help ride. Still you are over payload. The 3500 is the more better option.

raven_dt

Reaction score
Common story with 2500s with the 6.7, limited payload.

drisso88

Reaction score
Unfortunately buying a 3500 isn't an option right now. Is there any way to increase payload capability? Also, I assume theres a little wiggle room in their numbers. Maybe this one is too far off, but I'd assume that if a truck is rated for a 2000 lb payload, it isnt going to implode. For those with a lot of experience, what would you say is a "safe" buffer?

raven_dt

Reaction score
Unfortunately buying a 3500 isn't an option right now. Is there any way to increase payload capability? Also, I assume theres a little wiggle room in their numbers. Maybe this one is too far off, but I'd assume that if a truck is rated for a 2000 lb payload, it isnt going to implode. For those with a lot of experience, what would you say is a "safe" buffer?
This is an age old discussion. Can it tow it, mostly likely. If you are involved in an accident could you be liable for overloading your 3/4 ton? I would think so, but I'm not a lawyer. If I was run over by an overloaded truck, and lived, I would definately seek legal remedy. Would your insurance cover you If you knowingly overloaded your truck? I've heard of some states that will weigh 5ers and write tickets if you are overloaded. You have to have the right tool for the job, imo. But I see 3/4 ton trucks pulling 16k toyhaulers too often...usually at 80mph.

drisso88

Reaction score
This is an age old discussion. Can it tow it, mostly likely. If you are involved in an accident could you be liable for overloading your 3/4 ton? I would think so, but I'm not a lawyer. If I was run over by an overloaded truck, and lived, I would definately seek legal remedy. Would your insurance cover you If you knowingly overloaded your truck? I've heard of some states that will weigh 5ers and write tickets if you are overloaded. You have to have the right tool for the job, imo. But I see 3/4 ton trucks pulling 16k toyhaulers too often...usually at 80mph.

Yeah the tow weight isnt the issue at all, I have about 3000 lbs to spare when it comes to towing capability. My issue here is that the tongue weight exceeds my payload capacity. What I dont understand is why have that much towing capacity if nothing I can find even close to that weight has a low enough tongue weight.

drisso88

Reaction score
Also, I've heard that if you want to reduce your tongue weight, put stuff in the garage. Any experience with that? If I always kept my side by side in the garage whenn I tow, would that release enough weight on the tongue to make it work?

raven_dt

Reaction score
Yeah the tow weight isnt the issue at all, I have about 3000 lbs to spare when it comes to towing capability. My issue here is that the tongue weight exceeds my payload capacity. What I dont understand is why have that much towing capacity if nothing I can find even close to that weight has a low enough tongue weight.
With the Ram 2500 6.7s the issue is always limited payload. GM and Ford have increased their payload in their 3/4 ton trucks to around 3000lbs. Ram is lagging.
I don't think that you are going to be able to load the Toyhauler to reduce the pin weight to below your payload capacity.

Jsboening

Reaction score
What if you do off rear axle weight rating? What is that number on your sticker?

Jsboening

Reaction score
Looks like my rear axle rating is 6040 lbs
I believe some people weigh the weight on the empty rear axle then subtract that from their axle rating. Do some searching there is a lot of people here with loads of knowledge. I believe that the 2500 are a bit de-rated to stay under 10,000 gvwr for registration purposes. Again I’m not an expert on the subject, but there’s lots of good knowledge here. Don’t give up on your truck yet.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Yes many people on here advise putting airbags on the truck and then load based on axle ratings, not payload ratings. Other than the springs the rest of the suspension is the same between the 2500 and base 3500. The brakes are the same as well. It'll pull it and stop the trailer just fine - a coil sprung rear end will handle things a bit different than a leaf sprung will.

(insert legal arguments here) YMMV

Personally I believe as long as the truck is level (or as much as possible) to keep the suspension geometry the same front to back I wouldn't see any problem with it. Keep those rear tires at their max PSI too

JHeat2500

Reaction score
Your payload is your truck's weight subtracted from 10,000 lbs. It's a legal issue to be classified as a 3/4 ton pickup. The only reason a competitor 's equivalent 2500 can have a higher payload is due to having a lower curb weight. The bigger the cab and the more options you have all add to the weight of the truck. If you want a 2500 with a higher payload, stick to a regular cab Tradesman. Modern trucks are heavy, mainly because they are larger and offer more luxury options than the typical pickup from 10 years ago. It's simply the way consumers have pushed the market.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

drisso88

Reaction score
I'm not really concerned with the legality portion of it, more just with what the truck can actually physically move without risking major damage to the vehicle.

bamorris2

Reaction score
I'm not really concerned with the legality portion of it, more just with what the truck can actually physically move without risking major damage to the vehicle.

In that case, your truck axle weights are most important then. Don’t go over either FAWR or RAWR and the truck should carry the weight without damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
A set of bags and load the trailer tail heavy you should be OK its not ideal but its within the GAWR so id still send it

DougB

Reaction score
Not a gooseneck or 5th wheel but still an example what you see Ram 2500 diesels do everyday that some people say to avoid and get a 3500.

This is my ‘22 2500 mega cab on last trip. Over payload? Yep. Over GVWR? Yep. Felt unsafe? Not in the least. Towed very well. Way better than when it was behind my ‘06. Well under axle weight ratings.
FAWR 6000
RAWR 6040

A 3500 mega cab has same FAWR but RAWR grows at 7000. Payload is nearly double because of the higher GVWR at 12,300. Crew cabs are same but GVWR drops for 11,800 so payload is about same.

D3CA0BE8-7160-44ED-A6D5-E7A82B953D98.jpeg
EA5D86A4-2CA9-4D5C-9840-1E0EAE696D37.jpeg

jetrinka

Reaction score
Not a gooseneck or 5th wheel but still an example what you see Ram 2500 diesels do everyday that some people say to avoid and get a 3500.

This is my ‘22 2500 mega cab on last trip. Over payload? Yep. Over GVWR? Yep. Felt unsafe? Not in the least. Towed very well. Way better than when it was behind my ‘06. Well under axle weight ratings.
FAWR 6000
RAWR 6040

A 3500 mega cab has same FAWR but RAWR grows at 7000. Payload is nearly double because of the higher GVWR at 12,300. Crew cabs are same but GVWR drops for 11,800 so payload is about same.

View attachment 35951
View attachment 35952

Mega has larger GVWR and rear axle ratio?

Users who are viewing this thread