Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi or Cummins cheaper option breakdown

Enve46

Reaction score
Such an interesting thread... I just purchased my first diesel and before anyone says anything, no I don't NEED a diesel. I don't tow/haul much of anything. However, after having a Gladiator for over a year, then a TRX then a TRX Sandblast edition, I knew I had to be in a truck. The TRXs are incredible trucks, comfortable, versatile, and a blast to drive but 8.2 MPG daily is just tough to swallow. After having a Sandblast for a month, 100k sticker, and 8 mpg, I bought my 22 2500 Mega Cab, dropped my debt and my MPG is 17.2 as of this am, with 350 miles on the truck. So yes, the Hemi might be less expensive than the Cummins when you factor the two but when I compare it to my previous vehicle, I'm ahead by a lot. The other thing these things never really take into consideration is the resale value where diesel will destroy a Hemi, I know cause I was shipping the used market before striking the deal on my new 22. If they ever put the new 5th Gen cab on the 2500s, I MAY consider a PowerWagon as it's more of a truck for me, but the extra room of the Mega cab makes life with two small kids a lot easier.

Ironsides77

Reaction score
Its an algorithm, there are no sensors sampling the oil. Its kinda like the oil pressure gauge, its only an algorithm as well. The pressure sending unit is a open on drop close on rise switch only. Thats why I change my oil after 5K miles, theres no way the algorithm is accurate.
Have you ever thought about sending in your oil to Blackstone labs?

5k is premature even if you’re towing.

Surgdoc4

Reaction score
I don't think calls are based on what computer says (don't think they're pulling this info out of my truck) because it stays at a 100% when it parked for months at a time. Dealers are just being themselves, 6 months or 10K kms, whichever comes 1st, at least this is how it is in Canada. I don't follow what dealers say, I follow manufacturer's recommendations
Do you get vehicle status reports from Ram monthly in Canada? I have been so I know they have access to the electronics. 125F8019-9D92-4C38-AD94-663204BEB746.png125F8019-9D92-4C38-AD94-663204BEB746.png

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Do you get vehicle status reports from Ram monthly in Canada? I have been so I know they have access to the electronics.
No I don't. And I tried making this thingy work with RAM app but couldn't. Even if dealers could pull this info their reminders are based on that info, as I've mentioned I don't use my truck at all in winter months and they start annoying me with their reminders while the truck is still parked

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Have you ever thought about sending in your oil to Blackstone labs?

5k is premature even if you’re towing.
Towing does not really make a difference on the oil aslong as your temps are in check… with oil analysis we were going 80k km on my second gen when towing lots with 15k filter changes

Ironsides77

Reaction score
Towing does not really make a difference on the oil aslong as your temps are in check… with oil analysis we were going 80k km on my second gen when towing lots with 15k filter changes

The cooling systems can manage the additional heat but all the other parts are working harder, hotter and in more demanding environments. Higher RPMs, more stress, more heat, higher demand for power and fuel, exhaust braking ect.

https://xlmechanicalservice.ca/technical-info/cummins-oil-change-interval/

15k intervals are too long. BMW did it to cut cost and it would sludge their engines up too.

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The cooling systems can manage the additional heat but all the other parts are working harder, hotter and in more demanding environments. Higher RPMs, more stress, more heat, higher demand for power and fuel, exhaust braking ect.

https://xlmechanicalservice.ca/technical-info/cummins-oil-change-interval/

15k intervals are too long. BMW did it to cut cost and it would sludge their engines up too.
Yea thats completely wrong unless you are talking about a 07.5-12 6.7 that used crazy amounts of EGR and using the cheapest oil out there…. Oil analysis proves that article wrong everytime plus we cant run 15w40 dino oil in these 19+ engines so 5w40 synthetic is the most common oil of choice which also makes that article irrelevant. Even my 01 with 80k oil changes has no sludge build up….

Last edited:

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Yea thats completely wrong unless you are talking about a 07.5-12 6.7 that used crazy amounts of EGR and using the cheapest oil out there…. Oil analysis proves that article wrong everytime plus we cant run 15w40 dino oil in these 19+ engines so 5w40 synthetic is the most common oil of choice which also makes that article irrelevant. Even my 01 with 80k oil changes has no sludge build up….
I'd fully trust guys with same trucks as mine who's proven time after time with their oil analysis that these engine can run very long between oil changes. So I'd stick with what manufacturer says (24k kms or 15k miles in this case) and not with what dealer or some other paid "researcher" says on internet, all thos pushing for 5k oil changes only pursuing one goal and that is to sell you more oil and filters

jebruns

Reaction score
The other thing these things never really take into consideration is the resale value where diesel will destroy a Hemi, I know cause I was shipping the used market before striking the deal on my new 22.
I did not listen to the OP's linked video, but you are right, most don't want to talk about resale value. In my experience, the diesel option holds its value much better than the rest of the vehicle. Compare used prices on any year Ram of the same level and mileage truck, both with and w/o the Cummins, and I'll bet you find you are pretty much getting the full cost of that motor back.

EDIT: Okay, just watched the vid. That is one of the worst of this type I've seen. $600 USD for a DIY oil change? Not even in the ballpark. Not explaining how he reached his DEF costs, just giving the 6.4 extra MPG credit, well, just because. No consideration at all for resale value. This is a very poorly done video, IMO.

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I did not listen to the OP's linked video, but you are right, most don't want to talk about resale value. In my experience, the diesel option holds its value much better than the rest of the vehicle. Compare used prices on any year Ram of the same level and mileage truck, both with and w/o the Cummins, and I'll bet you find you are pretty much getting the full cost of that motor back.

EDIT: Okay, just watched the vid. That is one of the worst of this type I've seen. $600 USD for a DIY oil change? Not even in the ballpark. Not explaining how he reached his DEF costs, just giving the 6.4 extra MPG credit, well, just because. No consideration at all for resale value. This is a very poorly done video, IMO.
The videos and comparisons are like that if done by the people who own gassers…

simple fact is if you need a diesel to pull you get a diesel if you can get by with a gasser and don't mind the extra fuel costs you buy a gasser

Its a never ending battle between the 2 sides if you are comparing every dollar for dollar item with cost of ownership and quite stupid really to try and compare them in such a way

Resale is not considered because unless you got the no charge cummins like i did the cummins costs more out the door so resale does not change the Return you receive really

Last edited:

Enve46

Reaction score

I'm not sure about the costs of everything as of yet and I'm in no way dissing the Hemi, but for me, it was a no-brainer. I simply don't keep vehicles long enough to NOT consider resale and that was a major factor. That and fuel economy. And yes, majority of the used trucks I saw that were Hemi's were a good 6-10k cheaper depending on region, all things equal.

jsalbre

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the costs of everything as of yet and I'm in no way dissing the Hemi, but for me, it was a no-brainer. I simply don't keep vehicles long enough to NOT consider resale and that was a major factor. That and fuel economy. And yes, majority of the used trucks I saw that were Hemi's were a good 6-10k cheaper depending on region, all things equal.
I think you just proved that the resale angle is false with your own statement. If a new Hemi truck is 6-10k cheaper than a Cummins then seeing used ones 6-10k cheaper means you’re effectively getting the exact same price in the end.

Arguments about gas vs diesel are stupid. For the work that the majority of drivers are using these trucks for the gas engine is more than capable enough. Yes it revs higher to make power, it was designed to and that’s not hurting anything. If you really do load hauling heavy enough to *need* the diesel, you know it unquestionably. Otherwise, if you want the gas, get the gas, if you want the diesel, get the diesel. If you just want the diesel because you want it then there’s no reason to try to come up with false arguments on why it makes the most sense. Just admit you want it because it rattles and makes whooshing sounds and you can fill up your fuel next to the big trucks at Flying J and you like diesels dammit. It’s ok to buy what you want and you don’t have to justify it, it’s your money.

Sometimes I wish I could fuel up next to the big trucks too. ;)

Enve46

Reaction score
I think you just proved that the resale angle is false with your own statement. If a new Hemi truck is 6-10k cheaper than a Cummins then seeing used ones 6-10k cheaper means you’re effectively getting the exact same price in the end.

Arguments about gas vs diesel are stupid. For the work that the majority of drivers are using these trucks for the gas engine is more than capable enough. Yes it revs higher to make power, it was designed to and that’s not hurting anything. If you really do load hauling heavy enough to *need* the diesel, you know it unquestionably. Otherwise, if you want the gas, get the gas, if you want the diesel, get the diesel. If you just want the diesel because you want it then there’s no reason to try to come up with false arguments on why it makes the most sense. Just admit you want it because it rattles and makes whooshing sounds and you can fill up your fuel next to the big trucks at Flying J and you like diesels dammit. It’s ok to buy what you want and you don’t have to justify it, it’s your money.

Sometimes I wish I could fuel up next to the big trucks too. ;)
In an inflated truck market which is going down every day. Regardless, I already said everything you're looking for in my previous responses, I dont need a diesel but wanted it. Never was implying one was better than the other, just important factors to ME.

Tater86

Reaction score
Regardless of all the maintenance costs, fuel/gas costs and resale you just simply need to look at how you will drive and use the truck. If you use the truck for 90% daily driving and your trips are only 10 minutes to the grocery store and then back you are going to have a host of issues with a diesel down the road. In a 10 minute trip you will not be able to heat up the engine, which strongly displeases all the fancy emissions stuff.

kevin588127

Reaction score
Man, this video hit some guys in the feelers I don't take it that he is saying diesels are bad or that you shouldn't get one. Simply looking at it from a different angle and debunking the efficiency side of things. I came up with similar findings when weighing them out for myself. Anyways, buy what you want and be happy.

ClawSS

Reaction score
FYI, Hemis are cool. Thought I'd get that out of the way.

But also don't forget that currently in the '23 ordering guide, you cannot get a 2500/3500 CC Hemi in the upper trims (Longhorn & Limited). Maybe you can with a Mega, but that could be debatable later on.
So Stellantis may be making that decision for you.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

But also don't forget that currently in the '23 ordering guide, you cannot get a 2500/3500 CC Hemi in the upper trims (Longhorn & Limited). Maybe you can with a Mega, but that could be debatable later on.
Man you are really letting that get to you lol… you keep bringing it up

gimmie11s

Reaction score

Only the best motor for the best trims. :)

Users who are viewing this thread