Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi or Cummins cheaper option breakdown

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I just climbed a 11% grade in my 6.4 gasser with a loaded bed pulling a 6k trailer with no issues. Climbed just fine. And yes, it was a 11% grade, I had my off road page up at the time reading the elevation. Was at about 3500 ft elevation at the time.
PW with 4.10 gears and 35" BFGs.

jetrinka

Reaction score
I just climbed a 11% grade in my 6.4 gasser with a loaded bed pulling a 6k trailer with no issues. Climbed just fine. And yes, it was a 11% grade, I had my off road page up at the time reading the elevation. Was at about 3500 ft elevation at the time.
PW with 4.10 gears and 35" BFGs.
*chants like a viking going into a berserker rage*

I mean everyone knows the PW is the best.

ClawSS

Reaction score
You already found the source in the order guide thread.
I did find your source. I would be hesitant to spread the rumor, but it is an interesting piece of information.

I guess I will quietly rejoice in my "super" unicorn '22 Limited Mega Hemi.

"Just because it's rare, doesn't make it desirable"

Pressure_welder

Reaction score
Its a different world these days. For me i contemplated a 3500 hemi for a while as a personal vehicle to tow our fifth wheel/boat combo. But no matter how hard i tried i couldnt make the numbers work payload/towing capacity wise. Close to 19000lbs boat/camper combo. I settled on buying "one new" higher end vehicle to use for the business as well as daily/family truck so i went with a 22 5500 laramie. As i needed the payload for welding rig purposes. I had a 2015 5.7 limited when i was commuting north for work "1000km every other week" and that thing was getting 1200KM per tank it was INSANE! better than even my 17 eco diesel. I will say though and its an obvious point but a cummins equiped truck will have a much higher resale vale, and will retain its value much longer.

I think the hemi certainly has its place, itd be a great daily driver i think and a very capable vehicle. For me id want to be in the diesel world anything over 12k though. I believe you would also see far less issues with a hemi power plant vs the cummins, and i only say that because youre not allowed to delete anymore and the cummins is stuck with emissions equipment, while they've improved these systems immensely over the years its still an unknown, especially up here in canada where we have to idle alot during our balmy winters. Personally ive set a mileage for all my diesel trucks since 2015.... i drive them till 60-70,000KM and trade them in to acquire the best used value, but also and most importantly i WILL NOT drive a new diesel without 100% warranty, replacing anything emissions system related out of your pocket can be literally crippling. Gone are the days where you can drive a cummins to 400,000km without breaking the bank. My 5.9 had 450,000KM on it when i sold it last april and in all fairness it was starting to nickle and dime me at that mileage BUT! these new trucks are just getting SO expensive i couldnt imagine replacing parts on my own dime. In all reality these big manufacturers are going to price themselves out of existance at SOME point.... spending 110k on a truck with zero inscentives just seems silly in my opinion.... but alas i was a sucker and i did it anyway because i need the truck.

tchur1

Reaction score
Its a different world these days. For me i contemplated a 3500 hemi for a while as a personal vehicle to tow our fifth wheel/boat combo. But no matter how hard i tried i couldnt make the numbers work payload/towing capacity wise. Close to 19000lbs boat/camper combo. I settled on buying "one new" higher end vehicle to use for the business as well as daily/family truck so i went with a 22 5500 laramie. As i needed the payload for welding rig purposes. I had a 2015 5.7 limited when i was commuting north for work "1000km every other week" and that thing was getting 1200KM per tank it was INSANE! better than even my 17 eco diesel. I will say though and its an obvious point but a cummins equiped truck will have a much higher resale vale, and will retain its value much longer.

I think the hemi certainly has its place, itd be a great daily driver i think and a very capable vehicle. For me id want to be in the diesel world anything over 12k though. I believe you would also see far less issues with a hemi power plant vs the cummins, and i only say that because youre not allowed to delete anymore and the cummins is stuck with emissions equipment, while they've improved these systems immensely over the years its still an unknown, especially up here in canada where we have to idle alot during our balmy winters. Personally ive set a mileage for all my diesel trucks since 2015.... i drive them till 60-70,000KM and trade them in to acquire the best used value, but also and most importantly i WILL NOT drive a new diesel without 100% warranty, replacing anything emissions system related out of your pocket can be literally crippling. Gone are the days where you can drive a cummins to 400,000km without breaking the bank. My 5.9 had 450,000KM on it when i sold it last april and in all fairness it was starting to nickle and dime me at that mileage BUT! these new trucks are just getting SO expensive i couldnt imagine replacing parts on my own dime. In all reality these big manufacturers are going to price themselves out of existance at SOME point.... spending 110k on a truck with zero inscentives just seems silly in my opinion.... but alas i was a sucker and i did it anyway because i need the truck.
You hit the nail on the head with your last sentence. We are all suckers that need the trucks and will end up spending whatever price tag FCA puts on them, unfortunately.

Pressure_welder

Reaction score
You hit the nail on the head with your last sentence. We are all suckers that need the trucks and will end up spending whatever price tag FCA puts on them, unfortunately.
You know its funny, my father inlaw and i were chatting about this very thing over a shop drink last week. Trucks for us while their for work/pleasure, are also a bit of a passion...... right from 19 yrs ive enjoyed the diesel world and like the big shiney new toy we would trade every 2-3 years...... worse than a jack fish going after a shiney new spoon. We joked that in 2012 we ordered 3 loaded denali duallies with a price tag of 60,000$ cdn which we actully considered a reasonable price. Granted that was 10 years ago now we still own two of those trucks and there still running like a top today. Then to lead onto the next topic we looked from our chairs outside at his 2022 At4 loaded duramax 3/4 ton.... that cost him 100k cdn right on the nose before tax..... or my 5500 that cost me 105k cdn. All the while that 2012 with 370HP will do the same things that big old shiny thing will. Is almost 50,000$ increase over 10 years justifiable? To me were not gaining a whole lot when it comes to engines/transmissions since 2012, rather interior technologies. Again where does it stop? in 5 years well be saying we got a sweet deal we couldnt refuse on a 2027 ram 3/4 ton tradesmen for 120,000$ that we had to take a loan for 15 years to afford.

Jsboening

Reaction score
I did find your source. I would be hesitant to spread the rumor, but it is an interesting piece of information.

I guess I will quietly rejoice in my "super" unicorn '22 Limited Mega Hemi.

"Just because it's rare, doesn't make it desirable"
Mine too. We should start a club. Lol.

Ironsides77

Reaction score
Yep.
Incentives from the dealers are lacking, however for me there are some outside of an APR on a loan.

1: purchasing an unused rig has great value since truck owners tend to beat on them since the majority buy new every couple years.
2: buying new with big price tag now will be pennies in comparison to prices 10 years from now.
3: I plan to keep this rig forever.
4: did I say it’s new?

5: diesel is the best it’ll ever be before woke ev takes over.

6: the truck I’m getting will compete with trucks for the next 30 years. ( long shelf life)

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Is there an hdram sticker?

Used to be a merchant for schwag, not sure if it still lives. I have an HDRAMS sticker on my truck and got a coffee cup. If you see an a**hole driving a granite 3500 chromed out grandpa truck around DougCo with the sticker it's me. ;-)

@redriderbob posted a long time ago a new merch vendor was supposed to go live but I haven't looked at it in forever.

FWIW, my wife can do mugs and tumblers and t-shirts and such if anyone is interested and @redriderbob and @Admin give it the OK. Probably not at the volume or discounts everyone might expect as she's a hobby biz. In fact, I'm also an a**hole for not posting her stuff here I guess... We can do Cummins logo mugs and all that (on the down-low).

ClawSS

Reaction score
Stickers? For a club this exclusive all members will be required to get a tattoo. Lol. Our slogan will be “WE MAY NOT BE GOOD, BUT WE ARE SLOW!!”
Yeah, I heard that a CCSB was too quick with a 6.4 and 4.10's so I had to add the Mega+Ramboxes and put on 37's to get it back to the old-man pace.

Surgdoc4

Reaction score
As has been said, buy what suits your wants or needs. Theres a ton of diesel trucks out there that will never haul anything more than groceries. As long as they are happy, I dont give a crap. I do get a kick out of the its not a real truck if it has a gas engine mindset though. My Hemi does everything I need it to, so why spend $9K more to have an engine I dont need, then pay more for maintenance? I've had diesels before, but dont have the need currently.

They are nothing but fancy tools. Buy the one that suits you best.
What are the extra maintenance costs? 2012 2500 diesel after 140k costs have been fuel, oil changes, and tires. Granted now with a 2022 I have to use DEF and have 2 additional tires I am still not sure what the extra costs are re maintenance. My gas vehicles require just as much if not more. Different uses, different vehicles. If I had to choose one I would choose the the one that could handle the load required, which may change over time. It is an entirely individual choice based on need. The wrong choice just costs more and keeps the dealerships rolling. Been there, done that.

Surgdoc4

Reaction score
Some people do, some people don't. I go by what my computer tells me, not what my dealer tells me.
I don't drive my truck in winter, so last year (and a year before that) I changed oil in late fall and parked it right away. Before I even got it back out of my garage, I started getting flooded with dealer emails about upcoming 6 months oil changes. FFS! Don't think they're changing oil in their inventory vehicles that used to sit on their lot for over a year (before the pandemic of course). Computer is saying my oil life is at 18% right now, getting close to the time when I part my truck which I will do this year the end of November before heading back to work overseas.
I have been curious what parameters the computer considers to determine oil life. If the oil is good just reset the computer and the calls will stop.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
I have been curious what parameters the computer considers to determine oil life. If the oil is good just reset the computer and the calls will stop.
I don't think calls are based on what computer says (don't think they're pulling this info out of my truck) because it stays at a 100% when it parked for months at a time. Dealers are just being themselves, 6 months or 10K kms, whichever comes 1st, at least this is how it is in Canada. I don't follow what dealers say, I follow manufacturer's recommendations

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Its an algorithm, there are no sensors sampling the oil. Its kinda like the oil pressure gauge, its only an algorithm as well. The pressure sending unit is a open on drop close on rise switch only. Thats why I change my oil after 5K miles, theres no way the algorithm is accurate.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Its an algorithm, there are no sensors sampling the oil. Its kinda like the oil pressure gauge, its only an algorithm as well. The pressure sending unit is a open on drop close on rise switch only. Thats why I change my oil after 5K miles, theres no way the algorithm is accurate.
I'm thinking algorithm is taking into account things like idle time, engine load, temperature, etc... I'm pretty sure RAM engineers did a good job writing that algorithm and know better than some internet Joe but each to their own.
A lot of folks has done the oil sample analysis which shows there's no need to change oil after 5k miles, recommendation is 15k unless you tow heavy.

techman

Reaction score
The Cummins also holds 3 gallons of oil, which is almost double to the hemi. So that is a lot of capacity for the long oil service interval. Plus, diesel engine oil turns black pretty quickly so that is not an indication of a problem. Check your dipstick 100 miles after an oil change....it's black already!

Users who are viewing this thread