Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Headlights on Auto and Uconnect/Dashboard lighting

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
It would be great to have a Ram tech on the forum who really knows these trucks. Maybe the heavily optioned trucks just add complexity which creates quirks like these. Let's face it, sometimes engineers complicate things that aren't complicated. Like putting the horn on a canbus system that causes a delay! Of all the things that you want to work immediately it's the freaking horn!!
We have a ram electronic guru here @Jimmy07

Blackpowder

Reaction score
On my 21 the external and internal lights switch at the same time. I find the dash lights a bit on the dim side when adjusted to max (but not in daytime setting), especially when it's not fully dark outside. I suspect this change may have been an attempt to address this. I don't normally use auto mode for this reason.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
These are the UC5 radio settings for the radio to automatically dim AND automatically switch from white background to dark background when the headlights come on:
C3D1FF3A-496C-4D02-9FA2-077AECA2DC62.jpeg

It doesn’t matter what trim level or other options there are, and it doesn’t matter if the headlights are switched on manually, or if the headlights come on automatically in the auto position because of ambient light- the switchover of the radio display should be immediate. Any other behavior is due to a software glitch. This radio is on software build 26.15, and the correct behavior was the same when it was on 24.13 and 23.13.

Headlights off/or daytime auto position. White background, and backlighting is in parade mode (full brightness):
1FCE7C7A-7A29-4308-B25F-B9ED6CA43599.jpeg

Headlights on/ or low ambient lighting in auto position. Switchover is immediate to black background, and backlighting dims to the brightness that the dimmer wheel is set at:
77103228-B7B3-44CD-AEE4-90828517B404.jpeg

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
It should be immediate, but it’s not. There is absolutely a difference depending on the lighting conditions.

Honestly I suspect many people don’t notice the headlights come on before the screen darkens, under the right conditions.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
It should be immediate, but it’s not. There is absolutely a difference depending on the lighting conditions.

Honestly I suspect many people don’t notice the headlights come on before the screen darkens, under the right conditions.
I’ll clarify- I know exactly when when my headlights come on automatically, and the screen always changes immediately in my truck, and any other ram truck I’ve been in, and that is the normal behavior.
If the behavior is any different, it would be a radio software issue.

DrTron

Reaction score
So I guess it's a software issue.
As I have the headlights switched as DRLs, which is essentially the same as having headlights on during the day, I only notice the headlights "switching on" by the green indicator in the dashboard.
But like @AH64ID said, when that happens, neither the dash nor the Uconnect dim and go to night mode. They do eventually as it gets darker, but significantly later. Like 15-20 minutes later.

And yes, @Jimmy07, I do have both the Display and Theme Mode on Auto. I'll try again with the Display brightness on manual and see if that changes anything. Shouldn't, but it really seems to be a software glitch. I'll post my software version tomorrow if I find it, must be somewhere in the menu.

Oh, I should mention that when the headlights are already on, but the Uconnect is still in day mode, it immediately goes to night mode when I manually turn the headlight switch from "Auto" to "On". But if I turn it back to "Auto", it goes back to day mode.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
So I guess it's a software issue.
As I have the headlights switched as DRLs, which is essentially the same as having headlights on during the day, I only notice the headlights "switching on" by the green indicator in the dashboard.
But like @AH64ID said, when that happens, neither the dash nor the Uconnect dim and go to night mode. They do eventually as it gets darker, but significantly later. Like 15-20 minutes later.

And yes, @Jimmy07, I do have both the Display and Theme Mode on Auto. I'll try again with the Display brightness on manual and see if that changes anything. Shouldn't, but it really seems to be a software glitch. I'll post my software version tomorrow if I find it, must be somewhere in the menu.

Oh, I should mention that when the headlights are already on, but the Uconnect is still in day mode, it immediately goes to night mode when I manually turn the headlight switch from "Auto" to "On". But if I turn it back to "Auto", it goes back to day mode.
What you describe is exactly how I would WANT the behavior to be. When the headlight switch is in auto, and the sun is behind me but still light out, but the shadow is dark enough on the sun sensor to kick on the headlights- I don’t want the radio and cluster to dim and go to dark mode because the sun is coming through the back window onto the radio screen, and I can’t see it. I have to flick my dimmer dial up past the detent into parade mode in these situations. Staying full bright 15-20 minutes after the headlights automatically come on in that situation would be perfect, because the sun would have a chance to go down more until the radio dims.
While this has never been the case on ram trucks before, maybe that’s how they do what it to behave. Maybe MY software is not behaving correctly.

I do have one major issue with the version I’m on now (and this is how I know exactly when my headlights kick on)- If I have CarPlay screen up with a mapped route on google maps or Apple Maps, every time my screen switches from light mode to dark mode or vice versa, the screen switches to the home screen and kicks my route. I have to enter my route again every time this happens.

DrTron

Reaction score
What you describe is exactly how I would WANT the behavior to be. When the headlight switch is in auto, and the sun is behind me but still light out,
I see your point. To me, it rather bothers me that the Uconnect switches to full daylight brightness when it's still rather dark outside, messing with my night vision. Or staying on after the sun has set.
I guess there's a point to both, so all we're missing is a slider to adjust the sensor's sensitivity in the UI. But I guess that's rather wishful thinking.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
I see your point. To me, it rather bothers me that the Uconnect switches to full daylight brightness when it's still rather dark outside, messing with my night vision. Or staying on after the sun has set.
I guess there's a point to both, so all we're missing is a slider to adjust the sensor's sensitivity in the UI. But I guess that's rather wishful thinking.
Ok, I think I found something in the BCM that might help out. I grabbed a configuration from a US market 2022 3500, and the tunnel detection is set to yes. It’s set to “NO” in my BCM. I’ll play around with it and see if that’s why we have different behaviors.
DEE6B92B-C535-4A84-A754-F5660031A78E.jpeg

DrTron

Reaction score
Thanks!
I'll fire up AlfaOBD tomorrow and see what it's set on my truck.

DrTron

Reaction score
I found the Tunnel Detection in the BCM, it was ON. I turned it OFF and will see what that does...

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Last night my headlights came on about 40 minutes prior to sunset, but the dash didn’t dim until right at sunset. It was actually perfect based on my direction of travel.

So it still seems odd, but I think I prefer it to work this way.

DrTron

Reaction score
Hmm, the Tunnel Detection setting didn't seem to do anything. At least not in regard to the headlights/dashboard/Uconnect mode.

Warweasel

Reaction score
My wife's 2002 Durango recently (I think) started doing this as well. It acts as though there is a two stage sensor. If you go out in the daylight and cover the sensor, the headlights will turn on. After a few seconds if it remains covered, the interior lights will dim as well. We recently had the windshield replaced, and I think that this is when it started (had the truck since last April and I don't recall it happening before). If you start it in the garage or in full dark, it's fine and operates as expected. I'm wondering if in recalibrating the sensors when the glass was replaced, they changed a setting, perhaps the tunnel mode that a couple of y'all mentioned. I'm going to ask my dealer, but if you come up with anymore info, I'm interested!

Swtkings

Reaction score

I have a 22 tradesman and leave the lights on auto and I definitely notice there is a delay between the exterior and dash lights.

Brad83

Reaction score
I haven't noticed it at night, but I have my screen set on dark mode and I'm not sure I've driven much at dusk. In the mornings, however, it about blinds me when the dash lights go to full bright and it's still fairly dark outside. The headlights stay on a while after the dash lights go full bright.

OuterUB

Reaction score
I haven't noticed it at night, but I have my screen set on dark mode and I'm not sure I've driven much at dusk. In the mornings, however, it about blinds me when the dash lights go to full bright and it's still fairly dark outside. The headlights stay on a while after the dash lights go full bright.
Amen brother. Drives me nuts

Reaction score
Been wondering about this, too. If I turn the lights to "on," everything works as it should. However, when on "auto," the time between when the lights come on and when I can adjust instrument panel brightness is annoying. '22 Level 3 Power Wagon (12"), September, 2022 build.

Users who are viewing this thread