Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Headlights on Auto and Uconnect/Dashboard lighting

DrTron

Reaction score
All,

just something I've wondered about: so I usually drive with the headlights on Auto. That is controlled by an ambient light sensor depending on outside light conditions and I get an indication (green symbol) in the dashboard when the headlights are on.
It's my expectation that the dashboard/Uconnect use the same sensor and also go into night/dimmed mode when that happens, but that is not the case. It stays on day mode much longer, and only switches to night mode after it has gone almost completely dark outside.
With the 12" bright white screen, that is a bit distracting.

Do you experience the same? Is there any option to adjust the light level at which the transition happens? AlfaOBD is available if that's an option.

Thanks!

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Works the same in my truck. I have not found a setting to change it.

techman

Reaction score
The ambient dimmer switch is located next to the head light rotation control knob. You might have two, one for the panel lights (also Uconnect) and one for ambient lighting.

Page 56 of your owners manual.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
The ambient dimmer switch is located next to the head light rotation control knob. You might have two, one for the panel lights (also Uconnect) and one for ambient lighting.

Page 56 of your owners manual.

This has no effect on the between time the OP is talking about. The dimmer only works when the dash goes into night mode.

techman

Reaction score
Hmm...ok. I have my panel dimmer set just below the full "on" position and as soon as my head lights go on everything dims including the Uconnect screen. No delay.

Maybe there is a software update the dealer can do for the OP?

DrTron

Reaction score
I'm aware of the dimmer switch on the control knob, but that only controls the brightness of the dash, and not when the transition from day to night mode occurs.

DrTron

Reaction score
Hmm...ok. I have my panel dimmer set just below the full "on" position and as soon as my head lights go on everything dims including the Uconnect screen. No delay.
Sorry, I forgot to specify what truck it is exactly: it's a 2022 with the 12"-Uconnect5.
What year/model is yours?

On my 2019 with the Uconnect4, everything worked as you mentioned: one sensor controlled both the activation of the headlights and the dimming/night mode of the Uconnect at the same time.
But on my new truck, there is a significant delay between the two. TBH, it's a bit annoying to have the screen at full daylight brightness when it's almost dark outside...

techman

Reaction score
What year/model is yours?
22 BH Cummins 12" screen.

I just pulled into a parking garage and as soon as my lights switch on the dash and Uconnect screen dimmed a the same time. I only have one ambient control knob next to my headlight control. I have it set at 3/4" brightness. Not sure if it matters by also I have my fog lights set to always on when headlights are on.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
22 BH Cummins 12" screen.

I just pulled into a parking garage and as soon as my lights switch on the dash and Uconnect screen dimmed a the same time. I only have one ambient control knob next to my headlight control. I have it set at 3/4" brightness. Not sure if it matters by also I have my fog lights set to always on when headlights are on.

I don't have the "between" time in instances like that. It happens mostly about 30-45 minutes before sunset. The headlights turn on, but the dash doesn't go into night mode until its much closer to sunset.

DrTron

Reaction score
I don't have the "between" time in instances like that. It happens mostly about 30-45 minutes before sunset. The headlights turn on, but the dash doesn't go into night mode until its much closer to sunset.
So you have the same experience as I do?

DrTron

Reaction score
I have the 8.4 w/out NAV.
I suppose the different screen sizes run the same hard- and software internally, so that makes sense.

What doesn't make sense is that to be delayed, there have to be two different light sensors triggering both the headlights and the dash/uconnect. Manufacturers don't usually do that unless they have very good reason to, which might elude me ATM. They usually try to limit the number of components as much as possible.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I suppose the different screen sizes run the same hard- and software internally, so that makes sense.

What doesn't make sense is that to be delayed, there have to be two different light sensors triggering both the headlights and the dash/uconnect. Manufacturers don't usually do that unless they have very good reason to, which might elude me ATM. They usually try to limit the number of components as much as possible.

I would guess its one sensor and the truck switches the lights on earlier for safety, but keep the dash bright for interior visibility. As the light fades it foes to full headlight mode.

It does sound good on paper, but I think it could use a little tweaking. I wonder if AlfaOBD can adjust the settings for this.

techman

Reaction score
Not sure if it matters, but what other tech do you have on your build? Blindspot? Auto Cruise?

I have zero tech other than the Uconnect. Perhaps if you have a "sensor" intensive build they use separate ones in your instance?

Just putting it out there.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I have the DRVM and 360° camera. That’s it for the major tech stuff.

No need for additional sensors when you can just enable/disable functions based on a single sensors voltage output.

The only other sensor that would be for light is the auto-dim high beams, which I don’t have.

DrTron

Reaction score
Not sure if it matters, but what other tech do you have on your build? Blindspot? Auto Cruise?
Maybe, who knows these days.
Yes, I have both the blind spot mirrors and the adaptive cruise (and love both), and just about any other available option. ;-)

techman

Reaction score
Maybe, who knows these days.
Yes, I have both the blind spot mirrors and the adaptive cruise (and love both), and just about any other available option. ;-)

It would be great to have a Ram tech on the forum who really knows these trucks. Maybe the heavily optioned trucks just add complexity which creates quirks like these. Let's face it, sometimes engineers complicate things that aren't complicated. Like putting the horn on a canbus system that causes a delay! Of all the things that you want to work immediately it's the freaking horn!!

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Sounds like another uconnect5 is part of the issue as my 19 has no issue, they both switch at the same time

Users who are viewing this thread