Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Headlamps & DRLs - rant and fixes

AlbertaRamGuy

Reaction score
Ah ok. If you are interested in having the tools available to get into the settings, you need an OBDLink MX+ module, Kaodtech security gateway module and the AlfaOBD app on an android Bluetooth device.

There is also a user in this thread from Edmonton who might be able to help you out.
I'm an ipone guy but would work on my laptop correct? have ordered the Kaodtech SGW module and looking for the OBD link MX+ module right now

Reaction score
I'm an ipone guy but would work on my laptop correct? have ordered the Kaodtech SGW module and looking for the OBD link MX+ module right now
The OBDlink MX+ is on amazon.ca.

You can use a laptop to get the ALfaOBD software, tho I have no experience with it on PC. I ended up getting an android tablet from walmart, the ONN android go tablet. Was CAD$100.
It more portable and I use it for all my vehicles diagnostics, Ford Fiesta, Mitsu RVR, RAM.

Also, what year and model is your ram?

AlbertaRamGuy

Reaction score
The OBDlink MX+ is on amazon.ca.

You can use a laptop to get the ALfaOBD software, tho I have no experience with it on PC. I ended up getting an android tablet from walmart, the ONN android go tablet. Was CAD$100.
It more portable and I use it for all my vehicles diagnostics, Ford Fiesta, Mitsu RVR, RAM.

Also, what year and model is your ram?
It Is a 2020 2500 Bighorn Sport with LED's I can def grab a cheap tablet

Reaction score
Nice!! Working on reading it, This Thread is amazing!!
Read it all. There are essentially two ways of doing it with the Canadian trucks.

Once into the settings, there is the option of enabling the headlights to be the American version, which gets you a toggle on the Uconnect settings 'lighting' page. Toggling it on or off turns the low beam on or off.

The other way is to just select 'none' for the DRL option which turns the low beam off. <-- This is what I did.

The two LED strip brows on each headlight is on and the low beam is off.

AlbertaRamGuy

Reaction score
Read it all. There are essentially two ways of doing it with the Canadian trucks.

Once into the settings, there is the option of enabling the headlights to be the American version, which gets you a toggle on the Uconnect settings 'lighting' page. Toggling it on or off turns the low beam on or off.

The other way is to just select 'none' for the DRL option which turns the low beam off. <-- This is what I did.

The two LED strip brows on each headlight is on and the low beam is off.
Did you have to take your dash apart?

Reaction score
Did you have to take your dash apart?
Only the kickplate above your knees to get better access to the bus power bank to plug in the bypass harness. Comes off easy... 60 second job. Two screws on the very bottom to take out. Pull from bottom and the snaps will come out. You can just let it dangle while you plug in the bypass harness. You can take a look yourself right now at the location of the bus bank by looking up above the e-brake pedal. Gotta twist your neck or lay on your back. lol. Doable tho. Some people have modified the Kaodtech connectors to make them easy to pull out after you're done. They aren't easy to get out without modification. Trying to get your hands in there isn't a friendly thing to do.

AlbertaRamGuy

Reaction score
Only the kickplate above your knees to get better access to the bus power bank to plug in the bypass harness. Comes off easy... 60 second job. Two screws on the very bottom to take out. Pull from bottom and the snaps will come out. You can just let it dangle while you plug in the bypass harness. You can take a look yourself right now at the location of the bus bank by looking up above the e-brake pedal. Gotta twist your neck or lay on your back. lol. Doable tho. Some people have modified the Kaodtech connectors to make them easy to pull out after you're done. They aren't easy to get out without modification. Trying to get your hands in there isn't a friendly thing to do
Awesome, I just watched the vid on the mod and makes sense now. Cant wait to get my stuff and get this done!! Thanks for all the help!!!!!

Reaction score
Awesome, I just watched the vid on the mod and makes sense now. Cant wait to get my stuff and get this done!! Thanks for all the help!!!!!
Yah it all starts making sense when you start doing it. What can get confusing is the AlfaOBD menus and what needs to be enabled.

The settings you want to switch within the AlfaOBD app is discussed on page 5 of this thread.

There's also a ton of other stuff you can change within the app but for the low beam off, this is the thread to follow. It's a great tool to have.

AlbertaRamGuy

Reaction score
All my stuff finally came in and I tackled it last weekend. What a great look!! Also changed the fogs to be on with the Highbeams. Thanks all who contributed to this post to make it possible for guys like me to do this!!

CdnHO

Reaction score
Only the kickplate above your knees to get better access to the bus power bank to plug in the bypass harness. Comes off easy... 60 second job. Two screws on the very bottom to take out. Pull from bottom and the snaps will come out. You can just let it dangle while you plug in the bypass harness. You can take a look yourself right now at the location of the bus bank by looking up above the e-brake pedal. Gotta twist your neck or lay on your back. lol. Doable tho. Some people have modified the Kaodtech connectors to make them easy to pull out after you're done. They aren't easy to get out without modification. Trying to get your hands in there isn't a friendly thing to do.
Easier to pull out the headlight switch assembly. Held in by clips. Once you have that out, the bus is right there. Way easier than trying to reach around from the bottom. I used OBD Jcan to change the DRL to turn signals on my Canadian 3500. They just drop out when the turn signal is activated. Not nearly as irritating as having the low beams on all the time.

IMG_1995.JPG

Last edited:

AlbertaRamGuy

Reaction score
Easier to pull out the headlight switch assembly. Held in by clips. Once you have that out, the bus is right there. Way easier than trying to reach around from the bottom. I used OBD Jcan to change the DRL to turn signals on my Canadian 3500. They just drop out when the turn signal is activated. Not nearly as irritating as having the low beams on all the time.

View attachment 51807
I can definitely see how this would be easier.

combine9770sts

Reaction score
Does anyone know if it’s possible to simply make the accent lights brighter using Alphaobd? Or even the led headlights? Upping the voltage targets On them perhaps?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it’s possible to simply make the accent lights brighter using Alphaobd? Or even the led headlights? Upping the voltage targets On them perhaps?
Thats not how that works besides the 12v system makes only so much voltage so unless you go to a 24V system you cant up the voltage….

PRS

Reaction score
Thats not how that works besides the 12v system makes only so much voltage so unless you go to a 24V system you cant up the voltage….
Many LED lighting systems, including headlamps, use drivers in a “boost mode”, which runs multiple strings of LEDs on voltages exceeding 70 volts DC from a 14vdc system. It’s a function of todays LED driver technology, so he has a valid question.
Maybe @Jimmy07 can shed some light on that.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Many LED lighting systems, including headlamps, use drivers in a “boost mode”, which runs multiple strings of LEDs on voltages exceeding 70 volts DC from a 14vdc system. It’s a function of todays LED driver technology, so he has a valid question.
Maybe @Jimmy07 can shed some light on that.
That would involve step up transformers like HID balasts did they were typically 40,000Volts. That would be a large cost with almost no upside and decreased light life.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
There are settings in the BCM for target voltages of the various lamp locations, but it doesn’t exactly work that way. Those target voltages are for lamp locations that are configured for halogen lamps, and PWM is activated. So the target voltages refers to the duty cycle of the PWM. When configured for LED lights, there is no PWM, so the target voltages are irrelevant.

Users who are viewing this thread