Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Headlamps & DRLs - rant and fixes

Malko2019

Reaction score
I have a Ram 2019 Limited from Canada and I have turned my DRL's off just leaving the top and bottom led strips on. If anyone with a Canadian Ram wants to do the same ask away. I used a SGW bypass, OBD2 Link MX and the AlfaOBD app. Took me a while to work out what to do but could explain it to anyone who wants to do the same.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
If we change settings to US with the computer or other programs, I suspect the DRLs will be accent strip and 4 cluster at full brightness
On both, the type of headlights you have, and the mid level LED headlights, there are actually two completely separate features going on when the headlight position is “OFF”. The low beams are the only lamps that are DRLs, and the strip + cluster of four (upper and lower strip on mid level headlights) are the signature lighting. In the BCM settings, these are two completely different configurable features. On a US market vehicle, the signature lighting is always on when the truck is running (headlights “OFF”), and the low beam DRLs come on when the vehicle is put into gear.
Now, you CAN configure the signature lighting to be the actual DRL location (with no low beam lamps), but it requires some trickery with the BCM settings, and it’s not something the dealer would be able to do.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
I have a Ram 2019 Limited from Canada and I have turned my DRL's off just leaving the top and bottom led strips on. If anyone with a Canadian Ram wants to do the same ask away. I used a SGW bypass, OBD2 Link MX and the AlfaOBD app. Took me a while to work out what to do but could explain it to anyone who wants to do the same.
Ah, I just posted about this while you did. I’d imagine it’s the same settings I’m thinking of that you had to change.

Malko2019

Reaction score
Yes probably. I couldn't turn my DRL's off unless I used the e-brake, it rendered the light switch useless from 0 to Auto only having an effect on the rear taillights. I have the accent strips only now which is what I wanted. Unbelievable what can be done on AlfaOBD can't wait to fiddle around (cautiously) with other stuff as I have no option of taking the truck to a dealer should anything go wrong being in the UK.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, I just posted about this while you did. I’d imagine it’s the same settings I’m thinking of that you had to change.
Hey @Jimmy07 , just cause I'm being lazy, do you know which DRL setting makes just the LED strips (sig lighting) on my Limited the DRL's? I would also like to be able to have them but be able to disable through the radio when needed.

TIA.

I wonder if it's possible to build a worksheet/matrix showing all the options for this. Could be a great tech sticky.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
From what I can tell, my US truck's DRL are about 50% power when enabled. Accent strip is always on regardless of setting DRL to off. I haven't changed anything with AlfaOBD.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
From what I can tell, my US truck's DRL are about 50% power when enabled. Accent strip is always on regardless of setting DRL to off. I haven't changed anything with AlfaOBD.

I just tried to make some changes and I can't get any changes to do anything different save for DRL dropout. Including the turning them on or off via the radio (option is enabled and present).

The 4 sig lights and lower strip are the only DRL that will light up.

But I only tried with AlfaOBD Android.

DRL None, Dedicated, etc. = no change.
DRL lamp set to fog, dedicated, none, etc. = no change.

Maybe I'm not letting things cycle, but I can flip the DRL dropout No/YES while the truck is in Run or running without any cycles. and it changes

Jimmy07

Reaction score
I just tried to make some changes and I can't get any changes to do anything different save for DRL dropout. Including the turning them on or off via the radio (option is enabled and present).

Maybe I'm not letting things cycle, but I can flip the DRL dropout No/YES while the truck is in Run or running without any cycles. and it changes
DRL Configuration should be optional (should already be that way on yours)
Location will be dedicated.
You’ll turn off signature lighting in CBC external lighting calibration.
All of these types of changes should be immediately effective.
I just thought of something though, and I think there is something different between 5th gen 1500s, and the HD signature lighting circuits, and why @Malko2019 was able to do it on his UK export truck. Let me compare some schematics, and I’ll post back.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
DRL Configuration should be optional (should already be that way on yours)
Location will be dedicated.
You’ll turn off signature lighting in CBC external lighting calibration.
All of these types of changes should be immediately effective.
I just thought of something though, and I think there is something different between 5th gen 1500s, and the HD signature lighting circuits, and why @Malko2019 was able to do it on his UK export truck. Let me compare some schematics, and I’ll post back.

Thanks.

Yes, I believe I started and ended with DRL optional.

I also tried several Signature lighting options including lower voltage settings (put back to 11.0V when done).

Jimmy07

Reaction score

Alright, I see why it’s not working on an HD truck (non-export). The dedicated DRL circuits from the BCM are not used to drive the signature lighting like they are on the 5th gens and exports. You would need to switch two wires around on the bcm connectors to make it happen. This is a big PITA if you have a factory amp because it has to be removed to gain access, but I’ll show what wires they are in case you, or anyone else wants to do it. You have to de-pin the wire in C1/A pin 5, and re-pin it in C1/A pin 22. Then, de-pin the wire in C1/A pin 7, and re-pin it in C4/D pin 15.

bc6dgqc.jpg

qfwuCKF.jpg

LYEn0GW.jpg

Qs4LVEF.jpg

AlfaOBD settings will be as follows:

ECUConfig 3: DRL Customer Setting Option Present- Yes

CBC Features: DRL Configuration- Optional DRL

CBC Features: DRL Lamp Location- Dedicated

CBC Features: DRL Dropout Enabled- Yes

CBC Config I/O: Right Dedicated DRL Lamp/Right Signature LED Present/Right Front Turn Signal #2/Headlamp Leveling Output Present- YES

CBC Config I/O: Left Dedicated DRL Lamps/ Left Front Turn Signal #2/Left Signature LED Present- YES

CBC Config I/O Usage: Front Park/Signature Lamp Left Pin A7- NO

2014 CBC Config I/O & Feat.: Bed Lighting Present Pin A5- NO (you might have to switch over to DT MY2020 BCM to get this setting)

CBC Extern. Light Calibration: Signature Light Present- NO

CBC Extern. Light Calibration: Left Side (and right side) DRL Voltage Target- ADJUST HOW YOU WANT FOR BRIGHTNESS

CustSetMenu 1: Daytime Running Lights CSM Present- YES

The above method will get rid of low beams for DRLs, make the signature lighting the only lamps on as DRLs, will make the signature lights adjustable for brightness through alfaOBD, will make the signature light “drop out” on the side that the turn signal is being used, and will be able to be toggled on/off with the DRL radio setting.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Alright, I see why it’s not working on an HD truck (non-export). The dedicated DRL circuits from the BCM are not used to drive the signature lighting like they are on the 5th gens and exports. You would need to switch two wires around on the bcm connectors to make it happen. This is a big PITA if you have a factory amp because it has to be removed to gain access, but I’ll show what wires they are in case you, or anyone else wants to do it. You have to de-pin the wire in C1/A pin 5, and re-pin it in C1/A pin 22. Then, de-pin the wire in C1/A pin 7, and re-pin it in C4/D pin 15.

AlfaOBD settings will be as follows:

ECUConfig 3: DRL Customer Setting Option Present- Yes

CBC Features: DRL Configuration- Optional DRL

CBC Features: DRL Lamp Location- Dedicated

CBC Features: DRL Dropout Enabled- Yes

CBC Config I/O: Right Dedicated DRL Lamp/Right Signature LED Present/Right Front Turn Signal #2/Headlamp Leveling Output Present- YES

CBC Config I/O: Left Dedicated DRL Lamps/ Left Front Turn Signal #2/Left Signature LED Present- YES

CBC Config I/O Usage: Front Park/Signature Lamp Left Pin A7- NO

2014 CBC Config I/O & Feat.: Bed Lighting Present Pin A5- NO (you might have to switch over to DT MY2020 BCM to get this setting)

CBC Extern. Light Calibration: Signature Light Present- NO

CBC Extern. Light Calibration: Left Side (and right side) DRL Voltage Target- ADJUST HOW YOU WANT FOR BRIGHTNESS

CustSetMenu 1: Daytime Running Lights CSM Present- YES

The above method will get rid of low beams for DRLs, make the signature lighting the only lamps on as DRLs, will make the signature lights adjustable for brightness through alfaOBD, will make the signature light “drop out” on the side that the turn signal is being used, and will be able to be toggled on/off with the DRL radio setting.

Awesome stuff Jimmy. I expect I have the factory amp with the 12" HK system.

I'll stuff this away and maybe tackle it some day after I get all the other little project done. Priority on the truck right now is getting the Aux trailer cam stuff sorted out but work is getting in the way of everything.

If anyone else does it and wants to report success, I'm all ears.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
So because of this I can't change DRL to fogs?

I think I understand why the pin change to control the Signature lights, but not the lack of change on the other options.

Also, the "low beams" on the LED Projector turny turny wiggle waggy lamps are in the projector, not the QUAD LED pods. Those only light up with the DRL. If I turn on the lights, the Projector lights up.

I thought I was able to turn off DRL from the radio before I started messing with anything, but perhaps not.

Malko2019

Reaction score
Is it possible to have my mirrors fold/unfold when I lock/unlock the truck when using my fob as oppose to pressing the button on the drivers door?

Just thought I'd mention I've seen a Youtube video using AlfaOBD on how to change your odometer, not that I want to do it but its endless the things that can be done.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Is it possible to have my mirrors fold/unfold when I lock/unlock the truck when using my fob as oppose to pressing the button on the drivers door?

Just thought I'd mention I've seen a Youtube video using AlfaOBD on how to change your odometer, not that I want to do it but its endless the things that can be done.

No. This is probably covered in the AlfaOBD thread. The door modules do not have the ability to do auto-fold or global down (or up).

A Tazer is the only way to do it and that comes with it's own set of issues.

Malko2019

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I'll have to look around or just leave it as it is.

Malko2019

Reaction score

This is the SGW bypass lead I got of ebay £14.95. It's available in the US too. It works fine with OBDLink MX+ Bluetooth £135.00, also you download the AlfaOBD app £32.00 to an Android tablet or phone and connect via bluetooth. You will need WiFi or just run it of your phone's internet I used WiFi to a tablet

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have an HD truck, you're doing it the hard way to pull the EVIC to plug in that cable. If you have a 1500, you're kinda on the wrong site.

KaodTech makes a cable that connects to the CAN bus behind the headlight switch.

ETA: Now that I look at your avatar pic, you have a 1500. You might want to try 5thgenrams, that's where all the 1500 truck folks hang out. This site is mostly for Heavy Duty truck owners.

DaveyB

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Jimmy, That is going to be a while away yet!

WTF is it so complex? a switch would do the same... simple! Some lights on, lights off; more lights on, lights off.

Oh, how we have advanced :rolleyes:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
My Bad got it.

If you do need help specific to your 1500, the smart guy here with access to all this info @Jimmy07 is on most of the other boards including 5thgenrams.

Not trying to run you off, just pointing out there are much better resources available for your 1500 on the sister site.

Users who are viewing this thread