Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone installed LED lights in the engine compartment?

steve49

Reaction score
I'm gonna get the KC lights as well and looking at the two center indentations on the black liner, I'm going to try using these ATV/UTV body push pins since I have them, and would be easier to remove if needed.

push pin.jpg

John Jensen

Reaction score
I just ordered the KC LED lights so I guess I will find out if I can get to THAT little project.
I have so many projects in play right now, nothing is actually getting done.
I hear ya, having the same problem, it is what it is.

I ordered just the lights, not the kit. Don't need all that harness, etc. as I'm going to wire directly to an aux switch. And I saved 20 bucks. Been looking for something to add the aux and here it is.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I hear ya, having the same problem, it is what it is.

I ordered just the lights, not the kit. Don't need all that harness, etc. as I'm going to wire directly to an aux switch. And I saved 20 bucks. Been looking for something to add the aux and here it is.
Well, bummer. I didn't see the lights available without the harness.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm gonna get the KC lights as well and looking at the two center indentations on the black liner, I'm going to try using these ATV/UTV body push pins since I have them, and would be easier to remove if needed.

View attachment 8500

I don't know if those would hold and they're probably not long enough. The head also looks smaller than the center hole in the KC lights.

I used screw in push clips and added a washer the large head screw.

steve49

Reaction score
I don't know if those would hold and they're probably not long enough. The head also looks smaller than the center hole in the KC lights.

I used screw in push clips and added a washer the large head screw.

Got the lights installed and the push pin I was gonna use would have worked, but needed the two holes dilled out bigger. I took one of the lights and went to Ace Hardware and looked through their auto body pins, and came up with some that fit the light and the holes in the hood. Anyway turns out to be a nice setup and pretty easy install!

vzar47a

Reaction score
Did this myself today too. I'm using aux 2, programmed off the battery. I am a little concerned that I may close the hood one night and forget to turn the lights off. I know I can fix that by changing it to an ignition source instead of battery, I'll give it some time and see what happens. It would be great if these trucks allowed conditional logic in the programming for the aux switches so you could do stuff like control the lights based on the status of the hood ajar switch. Maybe some day, huh?

Users who are viewing this thread