Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone installed LED lights in the engine compartment?

thestuarts

Reaction score
Has anyone found heat-resistant LED lights that can be installed in the engine compartment? I will tie the power to one of my AUX upfitter switches.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
I found an under-hood LED kit from KC Hilites that looks like it will work well. Has anyone tried this product? [I am not sponsored or affiliated with KC in any way.]
I like it! FCA engineering minions be like scratching their collective noggins about customers wondering, "where did the under hood light go?" I mean, who would wanna look under the hood when it's dark? 1589615356419.gif

John Jensen

Reaction score
Stuart,
In the video the guy never put the hood insulator back on. You have yours on your hood. Did you cut out holes in the insulator or did you mount through or to the insulator?

MegaDave

Reaction score
Awesome upgrade! Looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thestuarts

Reaction score
Curious, did you mount a switch in the engine bay or use upfitter switches (or maybe a magnetic switch to automatically turn on)?

I connected it to AUX 1 and set the power source to the battery so I can turn them on when checking the oil at a gas station. I did install the inline 3A fuse that came with the kit because the AUX upfitter system doesn't have fuses that small. All the wires are in a loom, so it looks tidy.

I will upload a short video to YouTube.

thestuarts

Reaction score
Stuart,
In the video the guy never put the hood insulator back on. You have yours on your hood. Did you cut out holes in the insulator or did you mount through or to the insulator?

I poked a small hole in the insulation and mounted them on top of the insulation using wide-head metal screws. I ran the wires behind the insulation on a loom to the AUX power source.

.genomer

Reaction score
Those KC's look sick dude, nice work.

I'm going to experiment with an alternative solution, when I get around to it. The fewer Aux switches I can tie up, on little things, the better. Baja has a very bright waterproof dome switch. The convenience is obviously in the power sourcing. Run your hot and ground and done. Click on, click off.

398051_n.jpg

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Those KC's look sick dude, nice work.

I'm going to experiment with an alternative solution, when I get around to it. The fewer Aux switches I can tie up, on little things, the better. Baja has a very bright waterproof dome switch. The convenience is obviously in the power sourcing. Run your hot and ground and done. Click on, click off.

View attachment 4577

$75. ROFL.

.genomer

Reaction score
Yep, very pricey. Much time isn't spent tinkering on a diesel in the dark.

thestuarts

Reaction score
$75. ROFL.
Yep, very pricey. Much time isn't spent tinkering on a diesel in the dark.

I check my oil and fluid levels every time I refuel, so this way I don't have to worry about grabbing a flashlight or unplug my cell phone for a flashlight.

I have tried a lot of the cheaper LED lights on Amazon, eBay, Alibaba, Harbor Freight, etc. I'm tired of replacing them every 1 to 3 years, so I am willing to spend the extra for some good lights. These are in a sturdy metal housing with an IP68 rating that I actually trust.

My wife calls my truck my Barbie doll, which is a fair assessment.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I was so surprised the other night when I opened the hood and there wasn't a freaking light. What were they thinking? Add another item to the to-do list.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the inspiration @thestuarts. I added my underhood lights today. Pretty much same setup as you except I opted to not drill any extra holes and used the two existing indentations in the hood insulation cover.

Did you use a particular mounting option, like a body panel plug/screw or just longer push pins you could share the part number or image?

John Jensen

Reaction score
Brutal,
If you are asking about the pins holding the hood liner to the hood a replacement part number is Ford N804379S.
When you google that part number there are several substitutions, all the same. They are :
25/64" (4.5mm), Stem: 28mm, Head: 22mm.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Brutal,
If you are asking about the pins holding the hood liner to the hood a replacement part number is Ford N804379S.
When you google that part number there are several substitutions, all the same. They are :
25/64" (4.5mm), Stem: 28mm, Head: 22mm.

I'm not looking for the stock pins, I'm asking about what I expect would be a longer pin used to mount the LED lights.

Just curious what specifically was holding those LED lights to the hood. I can always pull one and go to NAPA and find something...

John Jensen

Reaction score
I'm not looking for the stock pins, I'm asking about what I expect would be a longer pin used to mount the LED lights.

Just curious what specifically was holding those LED lights to the hood. I can always pull one and go to NAPA and find something...
That's a good question. I'm also interested in the answer as I'm thinking about the same lights and don't relish drilling mounting holes in the hood.

Users who are viewing this thread