Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halogen to OEM LED swap

LikeABoss

Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah I’m not worried about headlight warranty as I understand the “cost” of modifications. It’s if they give people grief about unrelated things because the computer has been modified. I know technically they shouldn’t be able to but can give people a hard time if they want.

CFE

Reaction score
Halogens should be illegal to install in new vehicles at this point in time. I have a 1991 GMC Syclone and about 2 years ago, I pulled out the terrible oem halogens and threw in some cheap aftermarket LED replacements. Made a world of difference driving that truck at night.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Halogens should be illegal to install in new vehicles at this point in time. I have a 1991 GMC Syclone and about 2 years ago, I pulled out the terrible oem halogens and threw in some cheap aftermarket LED replacements. Made a world of difference driving that truck at night.
What gets me is how better lighting is a luxury not a standard thing lol i guess the people who buy work trucks dont deserve the same safety lol

DevanA

Reaction score
Looking to order a set of night edition LED reflectors for my ‘22 bighorn, but all of the parts sites show them as “Not available for sale” or “Discontinued”. Where has everyone else been ordering theirs from?

The1adman

Reaction score
Looking to order a set of night edition LED reflectors for my ‘22 bighorn, but all of the parts sites show them as “Not available for sale” or “Discontinued”. Where has everyone else been ordering theirs from?
When I was switching my Big Horn to Night Edition and trying to purchase them, they were on nationwide back order. A few dealers would give a ETA and others said no ETA available.

DevanA

Reaction score
When I was switching my Big Horn to Night Edition and trying to purchase them, they were on nationwide back order. A few dealers would give a ETA and others said no ETA available.
That’s a bummer, did you end up getting any from a dealer, or did you go another route? I’m hoping maybe retroshop has them in stock since they’re the next cheapest option. I sent them an email so we’ll see.

The1adman

Reaction score
I ended up purchasing halogen Night Edition headlights from a forum member. Did you try eBay for headlights? Sometimes they are on there.

DevanA

Reaction score
I ended up purchasing halogen Night Edition headlights from a forum member. Did you try eBay for headlights? Sometimes they are on there.
Most of the ones I see on eBay at the moment are damaged takeoffs, but I’ll definitely keep my eyes peeled on there. Thanks for the tip!

The1adman

Reaction score
Most of the ones I see on eBay at the moment are damaged takeoffs, but I’ll definitely keep my eyes peeled on there. Thanks for the tip!
I originally ordered a set from RockAuto. The ones they sent were drop shipped from a dealer. The boxes that arrived had non night edition (used) lights swapped into the boxes. That was a real pain getting returned.

LikeABoss

Reaction score

I just ordered a set of these from retro shop last week. Got them 3 days later. Not cheap but not much more than the questionable used ebay ones.

DevanA

Reaction score
Thanks guys; it looks like the prices and add to cart options have magically reappeared across all of the mopar parts sites. Not sure what was going on Sunday, maybe they just had a restock.

On other question… I see the part numbers listed in this thread for the night edition LED reflectors as 68360179AC & 68360178AC. Now there is an “AD” revision. Would you guys get the new AD stuff or stick with the older AC?

DevanA

Reaction score
I just sent in a contact form to BAM to see if they know what changed. It shows “add to cart” for the AD but “check availability” for the AC. I noticed the MSRP on the AD parts is less so my fear is that they cheapened up some internals or something. Hopefully the AC parts are still available if that’s the case.

DevanA

Reaction score
Just got a reply from BAM. The AC revision lights are no longer available, only the AD are being sold now. They said that Mopar doesn’t disclose what changed on most parts, but usually it’s a packaging change, or in some cases a supplier change. I don’t think a supplier change would be likely on an assembly like this, especially this early on in its life cycle. The retooling costs would outweigh any benefits. Going to order the ADs and hope for the best.

With any luck, maybe they figured out how to package these things more securely with this revision. Thanks for the tip elephantrider, I’ll definitely give them a good look-over upon receipt!

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
yup, just a thin inner support frame with cellophane around it. nothing at all around the tabs to protect.

I gave a random fca packaging engineer I found on linkedin, the business about it. never heard back lmao

Users who are viewing this thread