Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halogen to OEM LED swap

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
get the koadtech bypass cable and leave the infotainment unit alone.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
About to do a headlight swap on my 2020 2500. Just want to verify what I need to make this happen, AlfaOBD software, OBDLink EX FORScan, and Security Gateway Module (such as https://www.infotainment.com/products/fca-security-gateway-module-bypass?variant=8775773945892) ? Anything else? Someone posted about a Bypass cable? Whats my need to buy list?
Yes, AlfaOBD, OBD Link EX (I have one and it works fine). But, you don’t want to use that infotainment bypass because you have to remove the instrument cluster to install it. I have a bypass cable available like this one- https://www.kaodtech.com/product-page/security-module-bypass
I’ll PM you to see if you want it.

Chrisminx

Reaction score
Kaodtech was offering $10 off for black Friday. Might have a sale for cyber Monday.

stepbill

Reaction score
Just curious if you all are leaving the Kaodtech cable plugged in or do you remove it each time? I know they said that it could create a security issue but not sure what type of issue?

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
I've had it in for 14k miles. it won't cause any issues. I did remove it for one dealer visit.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Just curious if you all are leaving the Kaodtech cable plugged in or do you remove it each time? I know they said that it could create a security issue but not sure what type of issue?
The kaodtech cable can’t create a security issue because the gateway is still in place, and the radio module never gets bypassed. If the dealer has to plug into the OBD port, it has to be the factory port. Their tool won’t work plugged into the bypass.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I left my factory OBD port in the kick panel and just plug the KAoDTECH into it. I leave mine connected to the bus blocks and just unplug it from the OBD port and stuff it up out of the way as needed.

Peter720

Reaction score
Just ordered my cables, and waiting on the headlights. Is AlfaOBD easy to use?

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
For those of you who are confused by all of the internet alpha obd babble (like me)

It would be cheaper and easier to just get the morimotos. Drop in replacement for the halogen units. $1600 from theretrofitsource

Peter720

Reaction score
For those of you who are confused by all of the internet alpha obd babble (like me)

It would be cheaper and easier to just get the morimotos. Drop in replacement for the halogen units. $1600 from theretrofitsource

I bought OEM LED lights and all cables for under 900 just can't get AlphaOBD to connect.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Yes, and I plugged it into the blocks as described in https://6d6c157f-f89c-43ae-8a03-8e0...d/6d6c15_2857cd0f14804724b30b761f568e66f0.pdf but when I run AlfaOBD it just says "Please wait" and never connects to vehicle. I didn't pick any special port I just plugged into any available block.
This may not apply, but my AEV procal has a bypass harness that is very similar. Plugs into the same green connectors. I had to move it to a different plug to get it to work. After that it was perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread