Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grid Heater RELAY Recall (new)

firemansdiesel

Reaction score
My dealer can’t get enough parts for transmission recall to take care of people, let alone new parts available for this new grid heater relay recall. On a list and wait, WTF.

Reaction score
Thanks for the information.
Does anyone have information about some of the better disconnect switches that can be put between the positive battery terminal and relay?

Riddick

Reaction score
My dealer can’t get enough parts for transmission recall to take care of people, let alone new parts available for this new grid heater relay recall. On a list and wait, WTF.

I was in the same situation, my local dealer placed an order for the new transmission dip stick and it took a few weeks to come in. I have an appointment scheduled next week to knock out 3 open recalls (trans dip stick, tail gate, and software update for traction control). I bet they will have to order the relay for the grid heater but I can at least get 3 recalls knocked out.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Are we looking at weeks or months?
We do not have an exact answer for that at this time, but we will keep everyone posted on here once we get any further updates.

William
Ram Cares

Adam06

Reaction score
D
Is it normal for the truck to require a pre-heat when the ambient is between 40 - 50? Lately my truck, while parked inside, will have delayed start while the diesel heats and it’s nowhere near freezing.
Does it make a difference if you plug in block heater? Or would it still use grid heater?

Reh Ranch

Reaction score
Is this still working for you?
When do you turn it on and off?
Thanks Mitch
This is working fine. I turn it on, start the truck. Let it run several minutes so that it is past the grid cycling period and then turn it off again. The rest of the day, I leave it off and start with 2 quick pushes of the start button to go past the pre-start sequence.

Reh Ranch

Reaction score
D

Does it make a difference if you plug in block heater? Or would it still use grid heater?
I guess I am a sissy because if it is below 40 degrees, I plug the truck in so that things are warmed up for creature comforts (yes, I know that there is electric heat to help warm up the cab but I am having a hard time breaking old habits that were well engrained with the 16 year ownership of the 2006 Ram that I had before this truck) What I have been doing is unplug the truck, turn the switch on and go through the procedure that I described for Mitch above. The one thing that I notice is that if the truck has been plugged in, the grid cycle after starting is either shorter or does not happen.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The start is easier but the grid heater is not only used for cold starts and can cycle any time while running if the intake air temp is low.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
The start is easier but the grid heater is not only used for cold starts and can cycle any time while running if the intake air temp is low.

I don’t believe that’s true. It should only be used for pre-heat and post-hear cycles. Post-heat is with the engine running, but only the first two minutes of operation or until you hit 18 mph, whoever happens first.

Reaction score
This is working fine. I turn it on, start the truck. Let it run several minutes so that it is past the grid cycling period and then turn it off again. The rest of the day, I leave it off and start with 2 quick pushes of the start button to go past the pre-start sequence.

This is working fine. I turn it on, start the truck. Let it run several minutes so that it is past the grid cycling period and then turn it off again. The rest of the day, I leave it off and start with 2 quick pushes of the start button to go past the pre-start sequence

Reaction score
Thanks.
Do you have the manufacturer and part number for the 400 amp switch that you might be getting?
Mitch

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t believe that’s true. It should only be used for pre-heat and post-hear cycles. Post-heat is with the engine running, but only the first two minutes of operation or until you hit 18 mph, whoever happens first.
You're correct, I should have clarified more.

Reh Ranch

Reaction score
Thanks.
Do you have the manufacturer and part number for the 400 amp switch that you might be getting?
Mitch
Disconnect Switch.jpg
This is the switch that they got me. I can not find a brand name and it appears that it is a 300 amp switch and not a 400 amp.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
The only concern I have with adding a switch is that if you were to burn your truck down while the switch was on I would expect Ram to deny the warranty because the truck was modified.

Reh Ranch

Reaction score
The only concern I have with adding a switch is that if you were to burn your truck down while the switch was on I would expect Ram to deny the warranty because the truck was modified.
The way I see it is, If we were keeping the fire departments continually busy putting out truck fires, I would agree. But right now, it seems that these incidents are a very low percentage of the total truck numbers. With that being said, I think with the switch and a little bit of management, I can keep my chances even lower. Besides, come May when the weather is warmer, if my truck has not been fixed, I am going to disconnect the grid heater completely, so that I do not have to worry about it. The other thing is that I live in spring storm central and I am sure that Ram is not going to help pay for storm damage because I had to leave my truck outside because they were afraid of it burning down. I have a lot of money invested and I feel like I am doing what I can to protect that investment.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
The way I see it is, If we were keeping the fire departments continually busy putting out truck fires, I would agree. But right now, it seems that these incidents are a very low percentage of the total truck numbers. With that being said, I think with the switch and a little bit of management, I can keep my chances even lower. Besides, come May when the weather is warmer, if my truck has not been fixed, I am going to disconnect the grid heater completely, so that I do not have to worry about it. The other thing is that I live in spring storm central and I am sure that Ram is not going to help pay for storm damage because I had to leave my truck outside because they were afraid of it burning down. I have a lot of money invested and I feel like I am doing what I can to protect that investment.

Unless the truck is routinely started when it’s been cold soaked at below 10°F you don’t need the grid heater at all. You could probably fully disconnect it now.

Aside from remote start I have yet to let my truck do a full grid heater cycle, and I’ve started it cold soaked at -19°F. The timing on the grid heater is more emissions based than starting aid based, which is why it fires at 66°F intake temp.

Reaction score
View attachment 52924
This is the switch that they got me. I can not find a brand name and it appears that it is a 300 amp switch and not a 400 amp.
Thanks a bunch.
Jeggs sells a 500amp continuous 2500 amp intermittent switch manuf by Flaming River for about $125.00 made for positive terminal.
Do you think this is an overkill or better to be safe than sorry??

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks a bunch.
Jeggs sells a 500amp continuous 2500 amp intermittent switch manuf by Flaming River for about $125.00 made for positive terminal.
Do you think this is an overkill or better to be safe than sorry??

Overkill, where do you live?

Users who are viewing this thread