Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grid Heater RELAY Recall (new)

CdnHO

Reaction score
May be already posted. Went to my Mopar account and it shows two oustanding recalls. Tailgate and grid heater relay.

Attachments

• Recall_--_relay_--_HD_Ram_(13A).pdf
    3.3 KB · Views: 58
Reactions: CFE

Rip

Reaction score
Just picked up my 2023 last Saturday and it is involved in this recall as it showed up as of today on my Mopar account with parts as not available yet to repair.

Florotory

Reaction score
Do the MY19-20. Or have the same issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tchur1

Reaction score
The grid heater recall shows in my ram app as well. Just called the dealer to see if I could get it replaced but not parts have been released yet so unable to fix as of right now.

BlueOx2500

Reaction score
How do you disconnect the grid heater in the meantime while waiting for the recall to be accomplished? I don't live in a very cold environment...maybe gets to freezing once in a while. I just want it de-powered for now. Thanks.

BlueOx2500

Reaction score
Looks like my truck is involved. Thing doesn't fit i my garage anyway. However I will remove the cable from the relay. Don't need the grid heater anyway since I only drive in warmer climates. I still have to take it in for the tailgate recall, although mine seems to latch just fine.
How do you disconnect the grid heater? Will it cause computer problems if you just disconnect the power to it?

Will_T

Reaction score
My truck had the earlier recall that just involved testing the relay. I wondered at the time if that really was a solution. I guess the fact that they are doing the same recall again, but this time replacing the relay regardless of testing status from prior recall indicates that is was not a solution. Maybe they had some fires in trucks where the relay had passed the testing?

BlueOx2500

Reaction score
I just yanked a wire off the right side battery in an attempt to isolate and de-power the grid heater. Truck fired right up, no warning lights of any kind...not 100% sure I pulled the correct wire yet but nothing negative noted yet.

Nd79

Reaction score
I just yanked a wire off the right side battery in an attempt to isolate and de-power the grid heater. Truck fired right up, no warning lights of any kind...not 100% sure I pulled the correct wire yet but nothing negative noted yet.
If you're familiar with the location on the grid heater relay you can follow the wire up to the battery pretty easily. If I remember correctly the relay bracket is mounted to the battery tray/area.

If you push the start button and the truck wants to run a grid heater cycle (waiting to start) it will eventually throw a code with the relay disconnected. The way to get around this is just push the start button again so the truck starts before running the grid heater cycle. I'm not sure if it would eventually throw a code still because the truck still activates the grid heater while running.

I left my relay disconnected at the battery last time they had a recall on the relay until I got it into the dealer and never had a check engine light/code thrown.

BlueOx2500

Reaction score
If you're familiar with the location on the grid heater relay you can follow the wire up to the battery pretty easily. If I remember correctly the relay bracket is mounted to the battery tray/area.

If you push the start button and the truck wants to run a grid heater cycle (waiting to start) it will eventually throw a code with the relay disconnected. The way to get around this is just push the start button again so the truck starts before running the grid heater cycle. I'm not sure if it would eventually throw a code still because the truck still activates the grid heater while running.

I left my relay disconnected at the battery last time they had a recall on the relay until I got it into the dealer and never had a check engine light/code thrown.
Thanks! I think I pulled the correct cable from the battery - it's the post that would be closest to the front of the truck, as one way to describe it.

sawpdx

Reaction score
The recall shows up in the RAM app for my truck with a note that parts are not available for the fix.

Gottoknow

Reaction score
I also got a recall notice from Carfax today for my 3500 with same info stating parts not available for the fix.
Recall number 13A
2021-2023 Ram Heavy Duty Grid Heater Relay.

Jmar

Reaction score
If its just the relay I’m sure it’s not difficult to change. I’d wait till the relay is available order it and change it myself. I also get a car fax report in an email and it gives you a lot of info including all the recalls, it also gives you the option to mark them as completed at the bottom of each recall . I have 4 open recall on a 22 CTD big horn and I’m petrified to bring my truck to the stealership.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
2019 does not, can’t say about the 20. Not sure when they switched to the new design.

My 20 has the old style relay that's not affected but was built in Feb 2020.

Those that are going to remove wires be prepared for codes to set.

tyler2you

Reaction score
Those that are going to remove wires be prepared for codes to set.

Yep, need to make sure you quick start (double press the button) until you get everything reconnected. If you let the Grid Heater try to cycle on a cold start with the wire disconnected, it can throw a code. Disconnecting may not be a great idea if you live where it gets extremely cold.

Users who are viewing this thread