Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grid Heater RELAY Recall (new)

unclelala

Reaction score
Its not like the trucks will burn to the ground or anything. (sarcasm) :rolleyes:
:oops: My purchased dealer did it within 3 weeks of my phone call back in July

CdnHO

Reaction score
FINALLY have an appointment to replace the grid heater relay next week. Just hoping the part is there when I get there. Also having the tailgate recall and a software update that addresses freezing DEF. Not that I am worried about freezing my DEF. Can't belief that Chrysler is so slow to address a problem that is a fire hazard; regardless of how remote the possibility.

Jas

Reaction score
Used to be 85 bucks, now it’s 185. Wow. Just wow.
I have my old relay disconnected on the Limited.
The Big Horn didn’t have a recall.

Anyway are y’all still leaving the new relay connected knowing the grid heater death bolt is waiting to drop into the cylinder?

CdnHO

Reaction score
Used to be 85 bucks, now it’s 185. Wow. Just wow.
I have my old relay disconnected on the Limited.
The Big Horn didn’t have a recall.

Anyway are y’all still leaving the new relay connected knowing the grid heater death bolt is waiting to drop into the cylinder?
I have the relay disconnected until I get the new relay installed next week. I check the bolts at each oil change. Also rarely is the truck in cold temperatures. I just double tap the start button as a matter of habit. I realize it will still cycle on a few times after starting but the longest current draw is prior to starting. That said, I will leave the heater relay connected in the event of unusually cold weather.

50xdesw700

Reaction score
Any new updates on this? the dealer ordered part for me about 8 months (after a visit to install but of course part wasn’t available when I went in), still part not available till today, I am being given the “we will call you when we have it”.

Will reimbursement work and the recall clear if I buy part online and install it myself?

Called ram support and they were byond useless, I wish I never wasted my breath.

anyone got evidence trucks burned because of this? Or does ram just utter conspiracy theories? My relay looks visually ok from the front, over 10k miles.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Any new updates on this? the dealer ordered part for me about 8 months (after a visit to install but of course part wasn’t available when I went in), still part not available till today, I am being given the “we will call you when we have it”.

Will reimbursement work and the recall clear if I buy part online and install it myself?

Called ram support and they were byond useless, I wish I never wasted my breath.

anyone got evidence trucks burned because of this? Or does ram just utter conspiracy theories? My relay looks visually ok from the front, over 10k miles.
It took about a month for me. I had my dealer order the relay as soon as they released the parts for model year 2022’s. I’m sure the recent UAW strike didn’t help things, and they’re still building new trucks. Probably pushing the majority of their supply to the factory to build new trucks. As far as trucks burning, yes they have indeed. This is a safety recall being driven by NHTSA. So there’s documentation that vehicles have caught fire as a result.

You can tell by looking at the relays which ones got warm. IMG_4574.jpeg

50xdesw700

Reaction score
It took about a month for me. I had my dealer order the relay as soon as they released the parts for model year 2022’s. I’m sure the recent UAW strike didn’t help things, and they’re still building new trucks. Probably pushing the majority of their supply to the factory to build new trucks. As far as trucks burning, yes they have indeed. This is a safety recall being driven by NHTSA. So there’s documentation that vehicles have caught fire as a result.

You can tell by looking at the relays which ones got warm. View attachment 66156

thank you for the info, I have just ordered the part online from the very dealer that has been telling me part is not available for 8 months and countin, will see if they will actually ship it.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
thank you for the info, I have just ordered the part online from the very dealer that has been telling me part is not available for 8 months and countin, will see if they will actually ship it.
Do you have the correct part number for the updated relay? I was under the impression that those were under restriction from Ram and could not be ordered over the parts counter.

50xdesw700

Reaction score
Do you have the correct part number for the updated relay? I was under the impression that those were under restriction from Ram and could not be ordered over the parts counter.
I got the part number (68606435AB) from first post in this thread, people have also mentioned the number in few posts In this thread too

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I got the part number (68606435AB) from first post in this thread, people have also mentioned the number in few posts In this thread too
Yeah that’s the right part number.
It'll be interesting to see if you actually are able to get the part. Everyone else that has tried to order it themselves ended up empty handed.

Jay P

Reaction score
I ordered one back in Aug from the Ram national parts site. I got it 3 days later from a dealer in Montana. I have tried to get reimbursed 3 times for it and to have the recall cleared with no luck. Ram Cares (or doesn't care) is totally useless. They just told me I need to go to another dealer for the 3 open recalls (relay, tranny dip stick/vent and the particulate sensor). Next nearest dealer is several hours away. If these are not fixed soon this will be my last RAM I own and I will never set foot in the local dealer for anything.
FWIW Ram cares says there is no restriction on parts for any of the 3 recalls.

Jay

Cpsram21

Reaction score
That's strange they don't have it in stock , my dealer here in Idaho told me a couple months ago when I got mine changed they were getting about 20 a week and had plenty in stock because supply was good now. I was on the list for 6 months but he said when they did it to send anybody I knew that needed it done cause they had plenty of them.

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
A dealer is only allowed to order 1 every 7 days, I see 60 dealers with these in stock nationwide, most only have 1 in stock

Will_T

Reaction score

I think it depends a lot on the dealer. I have been in the same boat on this and the transmission recall with my dealer for 10+ months. On the list, still nothing available for me. I suspect they do get parts for both in periodically but I am low on the list because I did not buy the truck from them. They have their own sales customers to take care of first. Also I guess if any trucks in their inventory need the recalls, those would trump me also.

mountainears

Reaction score
Funny. Had my truck in for something else the other day. I was number 63 on the dealer list for relays back in the spring time. When I dropped the truck off last week they said I was number 51. Found that a little hard to believe but wasn’t stressed over it.

Picked my truck up and on the paperwork it said the relay had beef replaced. Talked to the service writer a few days later and he was surprised to see that. Didn’t sound like the techs were updating the list and or communicating with the writers because they are replacing them if they have them it seems. So don’t always trust what the guys up front say I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread