Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuel additives? Hot Shot Secret

southern_yank

Reaction score
Snake oil, placebo effect, or best thing in a bottle since the invention of alcohol?

79k 2020 6.7l SO
Slight surging on inclines
Mildly rough idle
DPF refen frequency issues

Added this to tank yesterday afternoon, about 30 miles in so far. Seems like the idle is smoothing out. Can't comment on other issues right now.

Anyone else running this? Thoughts on it?
0d4a256d44b7d6569556ce6882465974.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Enve46

Reaction score
I’m new to diesels but been using EDT every fill up. Skipped a couple just being in a rush, saw .6 mpg difference. Driving, distance, etc all the same everyday. Not sure if it’ll fix your issues but I can report I saw a difference in economy.

Interested to hear what experts or experienced guys say

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Sounds like the cetane boost is doing its job…. I would not waste the money on HSS when power service is cheaper, does the same thing and is the only one approved by cummins

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve ran additives off and on over the years and never seen any appreciable benefit, at least not enough to warrant use every tank.

I will still run an occasional cleaner/lubricity additive and will use stuff for cold weather (Cetane/cold flow) when conditions warrant.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Hotshots additives are legitimate and do what they advertise

southern_yank

Reaction score
I've been around the automotive world since I was old enough to remember. Spent several years as a professional mechanic, and tend to be skeptical of additives and the likes. There have been a few over the years that have pleasantly surprised me. And those few, I will continue to recommend and/or use. However, I am not as ingrained into the diesel world. So back to skeptical. I bought a bottle from Doc's (including the everyday treatment) when i ordered my filters last. BTW - UPS, sucks as my package with everything is in limbo in a local distribution center and I cannot get to it! I digress

Anyways, thanks for the input, I see it's about an even split. I will agree that the cost of that bottle was a bit of a pill to swallow - but out of desperation (and being tired of the frequent regens) I picked it up. I'm going to track my mileage during this upcoming week, and see if there is any sort of change to be noted.

John Jensen

Reaction score
I've been around the automotive world since I was old enough to remember. Spent several years as a professional mechanic, and tend to be skeptical of additives and the likes. There have been a few over the years that have pleasantly surprised me. And those few, I will continue to recommend and/or use. However, I am not as ingrained into the diesel world. So back to skeptical. I bought a bottle from Doc's (including the everyday treatment) when i ordered my filters last. BTW - UPS, sucks as my package with everything is in limbo in a local distribution center and I cannot get to it! I digress

Anyways, thanks for the input, I see it's about an even split. I will agree that the cost of that bottle was a bit of a pill to swallow - but out of desperation (and being tired of the frequent regens) I picked it up. I'm going to track my mileage during this upcoming week, and see if there is any sort of change to be noted.
I don't think you'll notice any difference in mileage or regens. Not sure what you bought but interested in knowing if you see any changes. Please keep us informed

John Jensen

Reaction score
I don't think you'll notice any difference in mileage or regens. Not sure what you bought but interested in knowing if you see any changes. Please keep us informed
Yep, I saw that. When he posted the pic he was asking about it but didn't say he bought it. I don't assume anything these days.

southern_yank

Reaction score
I bought the Hot Shot Secret Diesel Extreme. I'm not holding my breath, for sure, but if they hype I've read/heard is remotely warranted, I am going to stay optimistic.

The regen issue is actually of a concern to me as I was getting the P2459 code for regen frequency problems. Seeing regens every single day. I replaced the CCV and saw the regen time go into 2 days. That was about 2k miles ago and it is slowly getting better with each regen, but still a concern that I am having. Typical driving pattern for me is ~85 miles a day most of that is highway at 70-80mph. I was able to get a decent road trip this past Monday that allowed me to get a solid 2.25 hours one way @ 70mph. I was watching the DPF like a hawk, and didn't get into a regen cycle at all during that drive.

Planning on taking a decent road trip this weekend with the wife, so hoping this additive combined with the extended drive will help clear some of the soot out of things.

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
For those of you new to the HSS lineup the EDT is for every fill up...like brushing your teeth every day....the Extreme posted above is like going to the dentist for a deep cleaning...about every 8-10k miles....just a heads up....

fuchsroehre

Reaction score
Premium Diesel has additives like these already mixed in at the Pump. There is "regular" Diesel#2 at the pump and sometimes premium Diesel. The latter is about 10 cents more per gallon. Especially in the winter time northern gas station have additives added mostly against gelling but other advantages come with it for free like the cetan number increase.
I just filled up at Loves and usually I do get Diesel at Hyvee. All regular #2 Diesel but the Loves Truck stop Diesel made the truck sound louder, more combustion noise.
That makes me think they have lower cetan fuel than Hyvee.

BTW does any of you know why regular credit cards do not work at truck stop pumps? I like the 1 Gallon per second flow rate there and prefer the option of filling up DEF right from the pump, too. I do not like going inside and putting my credit card down......

Thanks.

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
thats a scam by the fuel stations to get you on their card or a fleet card....it is BS that your card works on the regular car side but not the big rig side....or maybe it weeds out the little trucks from blocking the big rig lanes....who knows....but it does suck having to go in to pay first then come back out and pump to move your truck then go back in....

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
thats a scam by the fuel stations to get you on their card or a fleet card....it is BS that your card works on the regular car side but not the big rig side....or maybe it weeds out the little trucks from blocking the big rig lanes....who knows....but it does suck having to go in to pay first then come back out and pump to move your truck then go back in....
thats the silliest thing i have heard in a while… card lock is for fleet and 24/7 service its no scam as it costs nothing to get a card

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Premium Diesel has additives like these already mixed in at the Pump. There is "regular" Diesel#2 at the pump and sometimes premium Diesel. The latter is about 10 cents more per gallon. Especially in the winter time northern gas station have additives added mostly against gelling but other advantages come with it for free like the cetan number increase.
I just filled up at Loves and usually I do get Diesel at Hyvee. All regular #2 Diesel but the Loves Truck stop Diesel made the truck sound louder, more combustion noise.
That makes me think they have lower cetan fuel than Hyvee.

BTW does any of you know why regular credit cards do not work at truck stop pumps? I like the 1 Gallon per second flow rate there and prefer the option of filling up DEF right from the pump, too. I do not like going inside and putting my credit card down......

Thanks.

Most never have. It's a (mostly) commercial truck fuel lane.

Hardly a scam.

Get a TSD Logistics card and get pay at the pump and get discounts at most truck stops. Yea, I prefer the miles (and credit towards status) using my UA card, but it is what it is.

jsalbre

Reaction score
I’ve noticed a lot of truck stops (at least out here in the west) have been adding “RV” lanes lately. Sized for a big truck, but they’ve also got gas and will take regular credit cards.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Get a TSD Logistics card and get pay at the pump and get discounts at most truck stops. Yea, I prefer the miles (and credit towards status) using my UA card, but it is what it is.

Yep. Used my TSD card yesterday at a Maverick RV pump. $5.459 list price dropped to $3.779 with the TSD card after their fees. No miles earned that tank, but over $70 in savings.

Last edited:

DontSlamMyRam

Reaction score
I've been running the HSS EDT for appx 17Kmi. While I have no proof of any magical metamorphosis in the trucks drivablity. I can say that the CP4 is still moving Costco's finest and not glitter. So I chose to use as cheap insurance as well as making others wait for me @ pump while I fumble around with the funnel & metering a dose.. Oh, and my nitrile gloves;)

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I've been running the HSS EDT for appx 17Kmi. While I have no proof of any magical metamorphosis in the trucks drivablity. I can say that the CP4 is still moving Costco's finest and not glitter. So I chose to use as cheap insurance as well as making others wait for me @ pump while I fumble around with the funnel & metering a dose.. Oh, and my nitrile gloves;)
Pre measure it out in to some old water/pop bottles no need to be the guy slowing people down lol

When i buy a jug of PS diesel clean i split it up into my 6 water bottles and put it in the tool box of the truck it works pretty well

Users who are viewing this thread