Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First oil change and engine developed a loud clatter/ticking noise at 1500+ rpms

jetrinka

Reaction score
Tell me about it. What's considered a 'reasonable' amount of time for warranty repair/work to be completed?
Man you got me. I've heard of some peoples trucks being in the shop for months. Usually waiting on parts.

Linked4door

Reaction score
Quick update:

Called the dealer today for an update. They said the Tech told them they have to pull the transmission out to pinpoint the sound, claims the noise is coming from the transmission.

Just posting updates as this goes on as it may help another person if they have a similar issue in the future.
Definitely keep us updated. I have a similar issue. Ratrling / pinging noise 1500-2k RPM. No noise at idle and happened before my first oil change.

RammingSince91

Reaction score
Definitely keep us updated. I have a similar issue. Ratrling / pinging noise 1500-2k RPM. No noise at idle and happened before my first oil change.
That's the same with mine. Sounds completely normal and quiet at idle. It sounds like a clatter/loud ticking noise around the same rpm as you. Inside the cab you can't hear it especially if you have music playing or any type of ambient noise.

RammingSince91

Reaction score
Update: Dealer just called and they diagnosed it as a bad torque converter. States, "Looks like poor construction/bad part from factory and its really unfortunate. We will look into getting the parts and their availability in the morning."

They stated they had found metal shavings...

We will see what happens... At 10k miles, this is pretty frustrating.

Arth

Reaction score
Update: Dealer just called and they diagnosed it as a bad torque converter. States, "Looks like poor construction/bad part from factory and its really unfortunate. We will look into getting the parts and their availability in the morning."

They stated they had found metal shavings...

We will see what happens... At 10k miles, this is pretty frustrating.

Lol what's interesting is I am having something similar to this noise. I've kind of ignored it. I'm at 12k miles now. Wondering if I could get it on video.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Hmmm metal shavings from the torque converter throughout the transmission? I’d be making a giant stink for a whole new transmission if I was you! No way it’s all gonna get outta there!
Depends if its in the trans or just the bellhousing from an exterior issue

RammingSince91

Reaction score
Hmmm metal shavings from the torque converter throughout the transmission? I’d be making a giant stink for a whole new transmission if I was you! No way it’s all gonna get outta there!
The parts came out to about 70% of the cost of a new transmission and RAM approved a new transmission under warranty instead of rebuilding it. Will be sending a new transmission and will probably take a month according to the service advisor.

Lol what's interesting is I am having something similar to this noise. I've kind of ignored it. I'm at 12k miles now. Wondering if I could get it on video.
Arth, definitely don't ignore it. I had a hard time capturing it on video. The thing is that the transmission in my truck shifted fine with no issues but I'm sure something would have happened eventually if left ignored. Will post the diagnostics when I get them.

Linked4door

Reaction score
The parts came out to about 70% of the cost of a new transmission and RAM approved a new transmission under warranty instead of rebuilding it. Will be sending a new transmission and will probably take a month according to the service advisor.

Arth, definitely don't ignore it. I had a hard time capturing it on video. The thing is that the transmission in my truck shifted fine with no issues but I'm sure something would have happened eventually if left ignored. Will post the diagnostics when I get them.
Glad they got yours figured out. The dealer mine is at seems to be leaning to just drive it till it brakes. I was not able to get mine on any video recording. I would love to see any diagnostics you could provide on the chance that my issue is the same as yours.

Arth

Reaction score

Going to wait and see what your final bill shows. I'll try to video it. I can make it consistently occur by turning on the high idle.

RammingSince91

Reaction score
Going to wait and see what your final bill shows. I'll try to video it. I can make it consistently occur by turning on the high idle.

Will post it when I get it. Probably won’t be for a while since it’ll take about a month for the new transmission comes in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lift89

Reaction score
Mine does this too. In neutral or park and give it a little throttle and you can hear an audible clicking for sure. Not sure if it’s the trans, I had my lady rev it up and mine 100% comes from the motor. Pry has to do with the lifters. Truck does NOT do it under load or in drive.

Glad you get a new tranny though. Will have to test it when you get it back. I’d be willing to bet the sound will still be there.

I’ve had no drivability issue and no codes. Pids and pressures are all on point.

RammingSince91

Reaction score
Mine does this too. In neutral or park and give it a little throttle and you can hear an audible clicking for sure. No sure if it’s the trans, I had my lady review it up and mine 100% comes from the motor. Pry has to do with the lifters. Truck does NOT do it with under load or in drive.

Glad you get a new tranny though. Will have to test it when you get it back. I’d be willing to bet the sound will still be there.

I’ve had no drivability issue and no codes. Pids and pressures are all on point.

I thought the same. I could have sworn it was coming from the upper end of the motor… when they told me it was the transmission I was at a loss for words..

I won’t know for sure until I see the final repair bill and test it for myself. I have tried to record it (iPhone 13) before I sent it to the shop but it was very hard to get the sound on video. Very noticeable in person though. Even my wife thought it was loud and said it sounds like a metallic fan hitting something.

Arth

Reaction score
Will post it when I get it. Probably won’t be for a while since it’ll take about a month for the new transmission comes in.

Here is a video of mine.

Let me know what you think. Consistantly starts at 1500 rpm.

RammingSince91

Reaction score
Here is a video of mine.

Let me know what you think. Consistantly starts at 1500 rpm.

Mine sounded similar but I think mine was louder. But when I tried recording it, the sound was masked by the engine sound so it didn’t appear that loud on video.

The best way I can describe mine would be like a semi loud hemi tick.

RammingSince91

Reaction score
Update: dealer put in the new transmission and transmission cooler.

Tapping noise is still there. They diagnosed it as lifters making noise. They escalated it to a star case with Chrysler and sent them audio recording. Chrysler is saying that it’s normal for lifters to make a tapping noise after an oil change. They advised that I should drive it for a while as it’ll quiet down after the truck has been driven.

I asked the service advisor how many miles is a while? They said about 4000 miles.

Going to pick up the truck and drive it with a loud tapping noise I guess… this is really disappointing after spending this much money on a truck.

Southernspeed

Reaction score

Tapping noise is still there. They diagnosed it as lifters making noise. They escalated it to a star case with Chrysler and sent them audio recording. Chrysler is saying that it’s normal for lifters to make a tapping noise after an oil change. They advised that I should drive it for a while as it’ll quiet down after the truck has been driven.

I asked the service advisor how many miles is a while? They said about 4000 miles.

Going to pick up the truck and drive it with a loud tapping noise I guess… this is really disappointing after spending this much money on a truck.

I was just reading through this thread and KNEW I'd get to the bit where you got it back and the noise was still there. Seriously, main dealers ......
Give me a guy with years of busting his knuckles over a kid with a diploma anyday.

RammingSince91

Reaction score
I was just reading through this thread and KNEW I'd get to the bit where you got it back and the noise was still there. Seriously, main dealers ......
Give me a guy with years of busting his knuckles over a kid with a diploma anyday.

For real. When I went back to get something out of my truck a couple weeks ago. Most of the techs working back there are kids fresh out of school.

Also the same time there was another 2021 Ram CTD with the same noise as mine. With 23k miles on the clock.

Arth

Reaction score
Interesting new transmission didn't solve it. Mine still does it whenever I drive. Haven't had time to take it to the dealer just yet.

Linked4door

Reaction score

Sucks you still have the noise after the transmission replacement. I am starting to think this is a common issue on these new trucks. I put 3k miles since the dealer told me the noise was normal. Still drives fine, but the noise is irritating as hell.

Users who are viewing this thread