Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First oil change and engine developed a loud clatter/ticking noise at 1500+ rpms

Nd79

Reaction score
Mine has always had a noise up front like a leaf or plastic tag stuck in the engine fan. You can hear it really well by the radiator but I've never been able to locate it. Is this the noise, or similar to it, that you guys are experiencing?

RammingSince91

Reaction score
Mine has always had a noise up front like a leaf or plastic tag stuck in the engine fan. You can hear it really well by the radiator but I've never been able to locate it. Is this the noise, or similar to it, that you guys are experiencing?

No. Mines coming from the upper engine area toward the firewall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoytMotors

Reaction score
Bringing up an old thread in hopes to hear where you're at today. I bought a 2021 2500 last year and am experiencing almost an identical situation, this is abnormal noise and comes on about 1250-1300 RPM and is proportional with engine speed up to about 2000RPM. at 12,000 miles I took the truck into the dealer for some warranty work on another item and had them do the oil change at the same time, upon getting the truck back the noise was there which is hadn't been before. Dealer has had it a few days and admits the onset after the oil change. I have good audio I will upload tomorrow but it sounds identical to yours, at first I thought this was an injector knock coming from the top end but upon further inspection is definitely sounds like it is coming from the bottom end. I took an oil sample prior to taking the truck back to the dealer and am working to get it sent in for analysis. Frustrated a brand new truck, as expensive as it was, would develop "lifter noise" after the first oil change from the dealer.

I'm not new to diesels for those wondering and know this is not something normal, I feel like Chrysler is just trying to cover their back end here. We will see what the dealer says over the next couple of days.

Jacob

Reaction score
Update: dealer put in the new transmission and transmission cooler.

Tapping noise is still there. They diagnosed it as lifters making noise.

Just threw a transmission at it and still no? Hell they couldn't get an engine too? You know these guys forgot to fill the oil and fired it up. Probably just for a few seconds. Who knows.

RammingSince91

Reaction score
Just threw a transmission at it and still no? Hell they couldn't get an engine too? You know these guys forgot to fill the oil and fired it up. Probably just for a few seconds. Who knows.

They found metal shavings in the transmission as well as other damage where they had to send in pics to Chrysler for a new transmission approval but they thought the noise was coming from the transmission because of that. Which doesn’t make any sense to me because I had no issues with my transmission. Then the dealer sent an audio clip of the engine noise to FCA and FCA told them (and it’s stated exactly on my invoice) “the engine noise is normal characteristics of the engine. It is most prominent after an oil change and will become less audible the more it’s driven.”

I have never heard of a motor making noise because of an oil change… I think they are just being cheap about it and hoping the noise goes away with time.

The dealer told me to drive it 1000 miles or so and if the noise is still there, bring the truck back to see what FCA says. Hope this helps anyone else going through the same thing..

Arth

Reaction score
They found metal shavings in the transmission as well as other damage where they had to send in pics to Chrysler for a new transmission approval but they thought the noise was coming from the transmission because of that. Which doesn’t make any sense to me because I had no issues with my transmission. Then the dealer sent an audio clip of the engine noise to FCA and FCA told them (and it’s stated exactly on my invoice) “the engine noise is normal characteristics of the engine. It is most prominent after an oil change and will become less audible the more it’s driven.”

I have never heard of a motor making noise because of an oil change… I think they are just being cheap about it and hoping the noise goes away with time.

The dealer told me to drive it 1000 miles or so and if the noise is still there, bring the truck back to see what FCA says. Hope this helps anyone else going through the same thing..

Well I appreciate you taking the time to follow up and post. My truck still has the consistent ticking I posted a video of earlier. Seeing that it wasn't the transmission makes me feel slightly better (I tow heavy and was worried it could be trans related).

For now I'll just live with it like you. Currently at 13.5k on the clock with a trip to GA coming up that'll bring me to 15k. Got 3 more gallons of Amsoil synthetic too for when I hit that 15k. Doubtful it'll help with anything but at least it's good stuff.

I may switch to 10w-30 weight oil once I hit 20k and see if that helps with the ticking at all. I've been running 5w-40 since the first change and that's when I noticed the noise.

RammingSince91

Reaction score
Well I appreciate you taking the time to follow up and post. My truck still has the consistent ticking I posted a video of earlier. Seeing that it wasn't the transmission makes me feel slightly better (I tow heavy and was worried it could be trans related).

For now I'll just live with it like you. Currently at 13.5k on the clock with a trip to GA coming up that'll bring me to 15k. Got 3 more gallons of Amsoil synthetic too for when I hit that 15k. Doubtful it'll help with anything but at least it's good stuff.

I may switch to 10w-30 weight oil once I hit 20k and see if that helps with the ticking at all. I've been running 5w-40 since the first change and that's when I noticed the noise.

Definitely. Let me know once you switch the oil weight. Curious if that would fix the constant ticking.

I’m sure we all have the same problem because it consistently starts around 1400-1500 rpm.

I’m just baffled how they found shavings in my transmission. If it weren’t for the ticking noise and me taking it in, I would have never known my transmission was going out since it was still shifting just fine.

I’m currently at 10300 miles as of today.

RammingSince91

Reaction score
Update: So far I put about 500 miles on the truck. Has roughly 10700 miles on it now. Seems like it's getting louder. When the engine is cold, it doesn't make any unusual sounds. Only when it's at operating temp.

Uploaded a video also so I could get your guy's opinions on it.

SaladBowlRam

Reaction score
Hello @RammingSince91,

I’m sorry to hear about your truck. Not that I’m of any help at the moment but have the exact issue happening. I just did my own oil change/fuel filters this weekend since I just couldn’t line up the time and date for the dealership. Granted I did mine at 17k(I know, I know).

Though it’s not a good thing, I’m happy to see that I’m not the only one with this issue(not happy that it happening to someone else, but glad I’m not going crazy). Seeing Arth’s video and now yours. Mine’s come up with the same noise at roughly 1,200-1,500 RPM at park. Can’t notice it in motion. Mine doesn’t sound as bad as yours but it’s relatively in the same ballpark.

I hear it more on the upper passenger side.

I have a appt at the dealership this Friday. I hope I can come back with feedback.

P.S. I’m completely new to forums, sorry if I’m not following properly.

RammingSince91

Reaction score
Hello @RammingSince91,

I’m sorry to hear about your truck. Not that I’m of any help at the moment but have the exact issue happening. I just did my own oil change/fuel filters this weekend since I just couldn’t line up the time and date for the dealership. Granted I did mine at 17k(I know, I know).

Though it’s not a good thing, I’m happy to see that I’m not the only one with this issue(not happy that it happening to someone else, but glad I’m not going crazy). Seeing Arth’s video and now yours. Mine’s come up with the same noise at roughly 1,200-1,500 RPM at park. Can’t notice it in motion. Mine doesn’t sound as bad as yours but it’s relatively in the same ballpark.

I hear it more on the upper passenger side.

I have a appt at the dealership this Friday. I hope I can come back with feedback.

P.S. I’m completely new to forums, sorry if I’m not following properly.
You probably waited a long time to do an oil change but honestly it would not have mattered. You would still end up with the same issue as us.

I can hear mine in motion if I have the windows down and accelerate from a stop. It seems to be getting louder than when I first started having this issue.

Let me know what the dealer tells you. Chrysler told the dealer to stop diagnosing my truck and that it's "normal." I call BS on that...

SaladBowlRam

Reaction score
You probably waited a long time to do an oil change but honestly it would not have mattered. You would still end up with the same issue as us.

I can hear mine in motion if I have the windows down and accelerate from a stop. It seems to be getting louder than when I first started having this issue.

Let me know what the dealer tells you. Chrysler told the dealer to stop diagnosing my truck and that it's "normal." I call BS on that...
Could be. I kept the filters, for a just in case.

I retract the previous, I am able to hear the noise in acceleration if I have a heavy-ish stop-and-go. If I accelerate like normal it’s not audible.
Is that so? Any variation to the way it makes noise compared to when it first started? Or has it been consistent but gradually louder?

Will do, I’m anxiously waiting for Friday. No kidding, hopefully it doesn’t lead to worse conditions and then them stating “should’ve brought it sooner”.
I definitely don’t think it’s normal.

One thing I’ve seen is people stating that they’ve made the change from 5w-40 to 10w-30(or vise-versa). And heard loud clicking/noise and went back to their previous weight and issue went away. I don’t recall any specific forum or post to back up.
In my case can’t say what it came with. It was bought in South East NM so could have came with 5w-40 and it’s not liking the new oil.

RammingSince91

Reaction score
Could be. I kept the filters, for a just in case.

I retract the previous, I am able to hear the noise in acceleration if I have a heavy-ish stop-and-go. If I accelerate like normal it’s not audible.
Is that so? Any variation to the way it makes noise compared to when it first started? Or has it been consistent but gradually louder?

Will do, I’m anxiously waiting for Friday. No kidding, hopefully it doesn’t lead to worse conditions and then them stating “should’ve brought it sooner”.
I definitely don’t think it’s normal.

One thing I’ve seen is people stating that they’ve made the change from 5w-40 to 10w-30(or vise-versa). And heard loud clicking/noise and went back to their previous weight and issue went away. I don’t recall any specific forum or post to back up.
In my case can’t say what it came with. It was bought in South East NM so could have came with 5w-40 and it’s not liking the new oil.

Mine is slowly and gradually getting louder. Other than it getting louder a little bit, there’s no variation in the sound.

Keep me updated on what happens to your truck. Will give updates after I send mine back after I drive it more (which I think it’s useless).

bamorris2

Reaction score
Update: So far I put about 500 miles on the truck. Has roughly 10700 miles on it now. Seems like it's getting louder. When the engine is cold, it doesn't make any unusual sounds. Only when it's at operating temp.

Uploaded a video also so I could get your guy's opinions on it.

Yikes that does not sound good and I would be concerned if I heard that noise coming from my truck. It closely reminds me of a 2005 Ford F-150 5.4L that I had. It developed a knocking noise just like that and at the same RPM range. At first they thought it was the cam phasers, but turned out to be internal engine damage. They replaced with a new short block.

RammingSince91

Reaction score
Quick update:

Manufacturer is stating that the noise is normal. Dealership is saying there is nothing else they can do. They assured me that "everything is documented."

This is such BS. If this was considered normal, why did they even change the transmission in the first place? They stated the noise will quiet down after 1000 miles or so and it did not. I took it in last week and just got a call today saying it's "normal."

This is really disappointing...

Linked4door

Reaction score
Quick update:

Manufacturer is stating that the noise is normal. Dealership is saying there is nothing else they can do. They assured me that "everything is documented."

This is such BS. If this was considered normal, why did they even change the transmission in the first place? They stated the noise will quiet down after 1000 miles or so and it did not. I took it in last week and just got a call today saying it's "normal."

This is really disappointing...
That sucks, same thing they told me.

jetrinka

Reaction score
No they haven't
Well I tagged them in the above post so they'll likely respond here in the next day or so wanting you to send them a PM about the problem. I've seen other people having problems on this forum get things moving with their help.

Arth

Reaction score
I ended up switching from my 2500 with the SO Cummins to a 3500 HO. I don't believe this one has that ticking noise I recorded before.

It has a random tick here and there but nothing nearly as consistent as the 2500.

Users who are viewing this thread