Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First oil change and engine developed a loud clatter/ticking noise at 1500+ rpms

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Even though hydraulic lifters are not adjustable, there is a method to set them when first fired up. After a rebuild, you take a stethoscope to each lifter and tighten them down until the ticking stops, as the engine idles, you do this to every one. The unfortunate thing is the warranty issue, if you try this procedure yourself.

RammingSince91

Reaction score
Even though hydraulic lifters are not adjustable, there is a method to set them when first fired up. After a rebuild, you take a stethoscope to each lifter and tighten them down until the ticking stops, as the engine idles, you do this to every one. The unfortunate thing is the warranty issue, if you try this procedure yourself.

I took my truck to a independent diesel tech. He had another 2020 6.7 Cummins in for service and we compared the sound of the two engines. Completely different.

He suspects it to be lifters as well but we cannot do anything as far as work on my truck due to risking a possible warranty issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Could have been a Covid issue, those engines were built during Covid more than likely. So the assembly line gets an inexperienced assembler, because the experienced assembler that has the experience, is not there.

My pontoon was built during Covid, and I had to help in the assembly, because my Dealer was 250 miles away, warranty or not, I'm not driving a 500 mile round trip for minor things I could fix. A Swiss friend of mine was looking over the pontoon and called me over to look at the center hanger box on the drivers side suspension. The center bolt that holds the two leaf springs together was over half way out. If that bolt had come out while driving 65 MPH, I probably would have lost the pontoon and maybe even killed someone behind me. I had just picked it up at the Dealer over 250 miles away, and that was the maiden trip of the trailer.

pr3dict

Reaction score
Any update on this? I'm having a similar ticking/rattling noise on my new 3500 HO

301cummins

Reaction score
I have same issue. I have a theory that I’m gonna try. It may be an oil flow issue. I notice when you take apart a mopar or fleet guard filter, the element is really close to the top of the housing. Hence the big holes to improve flow. Amsoil has about a half inch spacing. So I’m gonna give it a go to see if it changes the tick. Figured just use logic. When do hydraulic lifters make noise? When don’t have oil. Maybe at idle the engine starves the lifters they collapse and boom tick. Gonna try today at least. I will advise. Also gonna pull valve cover and literally poor new oil down pushrod holes to help soak lifters.

301cummins

Reaction score
Is everyone pre filling their oil filters prior to installing?
Yup. So I just did an oil change again with all amsoil. I took the valve cover off and literally poured oil onto the lifters through the pushrod holes. In an effort to saturate the lifters. I used an amsoil filter because I think they may flow better. Truck ran in high idle for like 30 mins. The quietest it’s ever been. Took it on a drive and the tap came back. Should’ve bought a Powerstroke

Riddick

Reaction score
How many miles did you have on your last oil change? I suggest cutting open your oil filter and inspecting the media. If you do indeed have an issue there will be shavings in the filter, if you don't find anything I don't think you have anything to worry about. Noises are concerning but unless you find metal there is no need to worry. Let us know what you find.

301cummins

Reaction score
I’m a 7500mile oil change type of guy. Synthetic only I will get the old filter and crack it open

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I have same issue. I have a theory that I’m gonna try. It may be an oil flow issue. I notice when you take apart a mopar or fleet guard filter, the element is really close to the top of the housing. Hence the big holes to improve flow. Amsoil has about a half inch spacing. So I’m gonna give it a go to see if it changes the tick. Figured just use logic. When do hydraulic lifters make noise? When don’t have oil. Maybe at idle the engine starves the lifters they collapse and boom tick. Gonna try today at least. I will advise. Also gonna pull valve cover and literally poor new oil down pushrod holes to help soak lifters.

The Amsoil does flow at a higher rate. Last I saw it was rated at 20 GPM, but Amsoil has switched media. The Donaldson DBL7349 is still that same media and flow rate.

The Fleetguard filters are rated at 8.72 GPM.

The oil pump is rated at 20.5GPM at 4,200 rpms.

What oil are you using?

Is everyone pre filling their oil filters prior to installing?

Never. I don’t want to take the time to fill the filter only using the outside holes and maybe make a mess. The filters fill fast enough that oil starvation and pressure aren’t an issue. My last 5.9 had a aftermarket oil pressure gauge in the cam journal on the drivers side by the ECM and it would register pressure after an oil change (September of every year) faster than it would on a cold winter start.

If you do prefill an oil filter be sure to only fill it from the outside holes. Anything you pour into the center hole will not be filtered before going thru the motor and virgin oil is not that clean, it’s supposed to be filtered before use.

301cummins

Reaction score
10w-30 synthetic. I’ve already tried 5w-40 valvoline premium blue no luck with that either

301cummins

Reaction score
Ok so, got 3 gallons of 5w-40 valvoline premium blue. fleetguard filter. So far the engine is much quieter. For now no more tick. We will see going forward. On a side note I always have run stiction eliminator in my diesels. Looking back, the ticking started when I put a full dose in the truck. Never even occurred to me. In an attempt to get the typewriter tick to stop I added more FR3. Thats what tipped me off, because the ticking actually got louder. I talked to the guy at hotshotsecret. Awesome customer service. Very knowlegeable guys. Ended up on conference call with an engineer. Super cool. They have recieved tons of complaints with the rams hydraulic lifters. They recommended 5w-40. They also said dont add FR3 to stiction eliminator because it already has it and will dilute the base oil.

All that to say, I think running stiction eliminator w/ 10w30 thinned my oil out when it was hot. Not a knock on hotshotsecret, I use the heck out of theit diesel fuel supplement. I think the thicker the oil the better. Time will tell. Im not sure why the 15w-40 wont work. The lifters seem to like thicker oil.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Allegedly it’s cold and thick oil that the lifters don’t like.

I suspect some synthetic 15w-40’s would be fine, but I’m not going to be the Guinea pig.

IwntReliable

Reaction score
I have a 2021 2500 with the 6.7 and have 60K miles on it. Been ticking for thousands of miles. Really annoying but other then the ticking seems fine. Trying to figure out if engine failure is imminent? Bought this hoping to get legendary reliability and longevity out of the cummins. Very disappointed.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Well it is hydraulic lifters.
Hydraulic lifters are almost always quieter than their mechanical counterparts. The ability of the lifter to pump up to zero lash regardless of temperature accomplishes this.

Users who are viewing this thread