Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Firestone air bags

Plum Cra Zy

Reaction score
Talked to some people about OEM bags, work great until compressor sucks dirt and fails then you have no way of airing up system manually.
Plus for $1600 I can get airlift set and pocket $1200 and use tire pump to put the amount in that I want thank you very much!

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
I like the factory option because it allows you to lower truck to hook up. I hate cranking the jacks on the gooseneck. Many times I have used bags to hook up when driving big trucks, I have been known to deflate to make it under a low bridge or two, also

oaklandopen

Reaction score
I put the air lift 5k bags in a few days ago. I bought the manual fill version since I keep a portable compressor in the truck.

That's roughly where I put my fill valves on my 1500 when I had it. Id like the same setup on my 2500 but idk if I want the valves showing this time. Although I could splurge on the wireless air

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
On my 05 I put my shraders through the license plate mounts. Clean and relatively simple.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
it's a bit difficult to get behind the plate area with the hitch and all the wiring tucked in that particular spot.

Ironcowboy

Reaction score
Put the Firestones on my 2017 3500 (Lemon!) I never had to use them. 40ft Keystone Raptor toyhauler never even sagged the rear. You really need to be hauling a house to bring that back end down to the helpers. I traded that , always in the shop truck. I have a 2500 diesel now engine light came on at 750 miles. I reckon I don't have any luck.

Last edited:

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Put the Firestones on my 2017 3500 (Lemon!) I never had to use them. $0ft Keystone Raptor toyhauler never even sagged the rear. You really need to be hauling a house to bring that back end down to the helpers. I traded that , always in the shop truck. I have a 2500 diesel now engine light came on at 750 miles. I reckon I don't have any luck.

Hoping that engine light is something minor. Can you pull a code?

Ironcowboy

Reaction score
They told me it's the EGR valve and some air intake hose. Supposed;y something they knew could go wrong from the factory. Talked to my Ram dealer mechanic friend. He said the 2020 engines are completly redesigned and the verdict is still out on them. Wonderful.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
They told me it's the EGR valve and some air intake hose. Supposed;y something they knew could go wrong from the factory. Talked to my Ram dealer mechanic friend. He said the 2020 engines are completly redesigned and the verdict is still out on them. Wonderful.
2020 is no different than 2019.

Late year production got a different CP4.2 (symmetrical cam) pump.

Highcountry

Reaction score
This thread is exactly what I was looking for. I'm looking at installing the Airlift 5000 Ultimate plus kit, but leaning toward not installing an onboard compressor. Thanks everyone for taking the time to share your experiences.

Last edited:

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
This thread is exactly what I was looking for. I'm looking at installing the Airlift 5000 Ultimate plus kit, but leaning toward not installing an onboard compressor. Thanks everyone for taking the time to share your experiences.
I installed both because the onboard compressor takes the guesswork out of filling the bags. You set the desired poundage and it does its thing, no over/under inflating, having to add more air or let it out. You can change the settings while driving without having to stop and adjust etc... you get the idea. It does add in cost but it was worth it to me to make towing as easy as possible. You will be happy with the bags, they definitely provide a noticeable increase in cushiony ride. Absolutely worth the money. Good luck

R.J.

Reaction score
It seems like most of these airbag fill kits are dedicated just for the airbags. Understandable, but what if one wanted to have other accessories attached to the tank?

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
It seems like most of these airbag fill kits are dedicated just for the airbags. Understandable, but what if one wanted to have other accessories attached to the tank?
Then buy an onboard air kit with tank with the appropriate duty cycle to run everything. You will need the controls for the bags though.

Users who are viewing this thread