Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Firestone air bags

Heckyl

Reaction score
I’ve got a 2019 3500 on order ( no air level suspension ) and have some firestone ride rite #2560 airbags at home to put on when the truck gets here. Supposedly from suspension connection and the firestone website that they will work on the 2019.... same setup as 2018 and earlier. I think there have been some changes on the frame etc. so I’m am a little skeptical if they will fit. I will let y’all know if they do. Does anyone have any intel whether they will work?

Last edited:

Heckyl

Reaction score
I’ve got a 2019 3500 on order ( no air level suspension ) and have some firestone ride rite #2560 airbags at home to put on when the truck gets here. Supposedly from suspension connection and the firestone website that they will work on the 2019.... same setup as 2018 and earlier. I think there have been some changes on the frame etc. so I’m am a little skeptical if they will fit. I will let y’all know if they do. Does anyone have any intel whether they will work?

Looked at 3500 on dealer lot. They won’t work, sending them back.

Heckyl

Reaction score
I have never had either system, but I have heard people really like the factory system. The factory system has several modes that are nice like auto leveling and lowering, and a couple others I think. The aftermarket system is cheaper, and I like the idea of controlling the exact amount of air pressure in the system. For anyone that hauls/ tows a lot of weight, I think either system would be a good investment... I’m tired of the occasional heavy hauling when when I need some air.

g33k247

Reaction score
I just installed this Air Lift system on my new truck. The installation was pretty easy, but after completing the install I changed the plumbing a bit to use only one schrader valve and a tee to fill both bags at once. They seem to work great, but I haven't had the truck loaded enough yet where I needed to do any leveling.

Ufoldfirst

Reaction score
I just installed this Air Lift system on my new truck. The installation was pretty easy, but after completing the install I changed the plumbing a bit to use only one schrader valve and a tee to fill both bags at once. They seem to work great, but I haven't had the truck loaded enough yet where I needed to do any leveling.

How has this been working for you? I'm considering the same setup for my '19 2500 Cummins. 2200 isn't enough for payload!

g33k247

Reaction score
They're great. I don't use them often, but they come in handy for leveling when the truck is really loaded up. I've used Air Lift brand bags on three of my earlier Ram 1500s. I'd recommend them to anyone.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
will the bags function correctly with a shared line between them? seems like they would have uncommon pressure issues.

g33k247

Reaction score
Using a tee'd connection is the easiest way to fill both bags equally which is the way I prefer them to be. I would only use individual lines if I thought I'd ever want to fill them at different levels -- like for uneven loads. It wouldn't take too much effort to remove the tee and use individual lines if I needed to.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
hmm... i was thinking more along the lines of a situation where your turning left, so all the weight moves to the perimeter. with a shared line,
the right side bag will deflate, and overinflate the left side bag.

just thinking out loud, i've never thought of that situation. i'm sure you have it covered.

Ufoldfirst

Reaction score
hmm... i was thinking more along the lines of a situation where your turning left, so all the weight moves to the perimeter. with a shared line,
the right side bag will deflate, and overinflate the left side bag.

just thinking out loud, i've never thought of that situation. i'm sure you have it covered.

I have the same thought... kind of like the old air shocks of the '80s that use one fill line. The air transfers side to side when turning, not keeping air separated from each side, allowing too much body roll.

oaklandopen

Reaction score
I had the spring assist bags from air lift for my last 1500 and separated the air lines for that reason. It worked out just fine with my TT and a couple heavy bed hauls. I put the valve stems on the flat part in front of the rear license plate

Now that I have a 2500 I have an extra 1400 lbs payload to play with, so idk if I'll need bags for the same TT.

But if we ever go towards a 5th wheel I'll definitely want the air leveling again. I get flashed now from the LED headlights, so driving with a load in the back and the nose up even a little will make it worse

My next kit im hoping to have on board air and maybe integrate that with the auxiliary buttons or get the wireless system

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Looks good. Is there any change in ride quality? How much air do you have in them without a load? thx

RLange

Reaction score
Looks good. Is there any change in ride quality? How much air do you have in them without a load? thx
No change in ride quality I only have 5 psi in them now unloaded. Recommended from airlift. I'll post what I need when fully loaded with 5th wheel when the weather breaks here in Michigan.
I like the customer service air lift has I've used them for years on my 1500, they stand behind their products.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Thanks,what did the system cost you? It will be interesting to see results with weight.

RLange

Reaction score
Thanks,what did the system cost you? It will be interesting to see results with weight.
The air bag kit was $339.xx on Amazon, I had the compressor and gen 2 controller from my Ram 1500 that I took off before I traded it.
If remember right it was like $450 or around there.
It will work just add air until you get the ride height you want with the truck loaded.
Here is a link to the system I have. Just put Ram 2500 and it will give the right part number.https://www.airliftcompany.com/products/air-springs/loadlifter-5000-ultimate/

Last edited:

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
The air bag kit was $339.xx on Amazon, I had the compressor and gen 2 controller from my Ram 1500 that I took off before I traded it.
If remember right it was like $450 or around there.
It will work just add air until you get the ride height you want with the truck loaded.
Here is a link to the system I have. Just put Ram 2500 and it will give the right part number.https://www.airliftcompany.com/products/air-springs/loadlifter-5000-ultimate/

Thanks for that. Ya everytime I tow I pump up the rear tires so filling each time is ok. I put bags in my 05 but it the leaves were so stiff I didn’t use them much.

oaklandopen

Reaction score
It looks like the wireless option is integrated in with the pump, which is too bad for me because I planned on using a super quiet 1gal compressor mounted in the bed. That way I can also use it for other things like tires and whatnot

Users who are viewing this thread