Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eliminate 3 horn chirp when exiting vehicle while engine running

jsalbre

Reaction score
This should also take the horn off the canbus, so no more delay to sound the horn? And you can just give the horn a short little bump instead of the second or two minimum blast?
That will just mute the horn, meaning no horn at all.

vzar47a

Reaction score
That will just mute the horn, meaning no horn at all.
I thought part of this mod rewires the horn so that the BCM is no longer in the loop. When the horn switch is pressed, the horn is sounded via the VSIM output from the horn switch triggering the relay, instead of the BCM triggering the relay. Did I get that part wrong?

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
I thought part of this mod rewires the horn so that the BCM is no longer in the loop. When the horn switch is pressed, the horn is sounded via the VSIM output from the horn switch triggering the relay, instead of the BCM triggering the relay. Did I get that part wrong?
You would have to ask @mountainears about that behavior. I would think it would still behave the same because the VSIM is still using a bussed input.

jsalbre

Reaction score
We may not be talking about the same thing. Are you talking about the original post, or the one directly above yours?

jsalbre

Reaction score
Original post.
Nevermind then, I misunderstood.

Unfortunately as Jimmy mentioned the horn activation will still go through the CAN bus so I’d be shocked if the delay and long honk are changed.

vzar47a

Reaction score
Got it. I thought that the diagram was stating that the pin out on the VSIM was directly coming from the horn switch.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Got it. I thought that the diagram was stating that the pin out on the VSIM was directly coming from the horn switch.
No, unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your plans) it’s all through CAN.

With 24 switches on a steering wheel it’s not realistic to have a clock spring with individual wiring for each switch all running back to the BCM. Having everything talk over CAN drastically reduces wiring needs throughout modern vehicles.

Darkmatter

Reaction score
Thank you for this mod!! Works like a charm. So glad I got the VSIM and Upfitter package on the truck, made the mod easy to do...

usernamechecksout

Reaction score
Where is terminal #8 in the connector that is removed from the pdc. It looks the same even turned upside down....

usernamechecksout

Reaction score
There appears to be only one green/white wire in the block, but I can't figure out how that is slot #8

mountainears

Reaction score
Been a while since I did this and had to look at the PDF :) I had to dig around because I didn't get a close up of that connector but found a drawing someone else posted that I think is the same connector. Should only be one DG/WH wire there, if you pop it out your horn should stop working (for a test)

1699487175364.png

mountainears

Reaction score
Found a picture. It actually has numbers on the back. What is a little confusing is that not all the sockets are populated so you can't just count 8 wires. Here's the photo I found, it shows the wire circled and a cropped version where you can see the numbers at the top (8 and 10)

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0014 (1).jpg

usernamechecksout

Reaction score
This is fantastic
Found a picture. It actually has numbers on the back. What is a little confusing is that not all the sockets are populated so you can't just count 8 wires. Here's the photo I found, it shows the wire circled and a cropped version where you can see the numbers at the top (8 and 10)

View attachment 65099

View attachment 65100
This is fantastic and should be included in the document on the how -to for this mod. I eventually figured it out (by testing the horn) but could have saved a lot of headache if these pics were in the document.

mountainears

Reaction score
I think I was going to but once I noticed it had numbers printed on the connector I opted not to. But based on the feedback I'll definitely add them :) Glad you got through it, hopefully you'll be enjoying blissful horn silence now like some of us are :)

Users who are viewing this thread