Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eliminate 3 horn chirp when exiting vehicle while engine running

mountainears

Reaction score
This topic has been discussed a bit in these forums, most recently in a merged thread located here. In that thread a solution was discussed to leverage the VSIM wiring as a way to bypass the BCM chirps while the engine was running. Other solutions were also discussed, but this is one that I came up with and along with some tips / pointers from @Jimmy07 and @Brutal_HO I made the change today and it seems to be working as planned. I created a write-up for how to do this and attached the PDF file for reference. Please let me know if there are any corrections that need to be made.

Please note that this only applies to 2022 and newer HD trucks. And that this is a safety & security feature that RAM added to the vehicle, this modification bypasses that feature. This is discussed in the write-up as well.

11-08-2022: Updated to include tighter pictures of the PDC connector to identify wire #8

Attachments

• Ram Truck 3 Chirp Delete.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 195
Last edited:

mikenacarato

Reaction score
I absolutely want to do this! I am having trouble with the pdf though. It’s telling me my internet is messed up but it’s not. Can you email it by chance??

mountainears

Reaction score
I absolutely want to do this! I am having trouble with the pdf though. It’s telling me my internet is messed up but it’s not. Can you email it by chance??
Provide me with your email and I'll send it over...

Linked4door

Reaction score
Definitely thinking about doing this. Was already thinking about adding the vism for my warning lights

Fyi, page 4 has a typo. It has jimmy listed as Johnny

mountainears

Reaction score
Definitely thinking about doing this. Was already thinking about adding the vism for my warning lights

Fyi, page 4 has a typo. It has jimmy listed as Johnny

Thanks for catching that. Will correct tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
A few points of clarification:

@Jimmy07 would be the primary source that can build the wiring harness for you to add a VSIM, you can source the module and other hard parts necessary yourself through any parts supplier.

It's AlfaOBD, not AlphaOBD. I know, it's pedantic, but it helps searches when the correct name is used.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
It’s possible that some of these 2022’s already have the wiring present on the truck to plug in the VSIM. Here’s an example of a Limited that has the two connectors present:

superjoe83

Reaction score
It’s possible that some of these 2022’s already have the wiring present on the truck to plug in the VSIM. Here’s an example of a Limited that has the two connectors present:
My '22 limited is also wired for the VSIM.

20221015_092851.jpg

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Interesting.

mountainears

Reaction score
Document updated with the changes noted above. Please let me know if you catch other things or the changes don't make sense!

arx237

Reaction score
My '22 Laramie also has them.

mountainears

Reaction score
Will make it that much easier if the wiring is there. Just need to get the VSIM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jsalbre

Reaction score
Just curious....what does the vsim look like?
Looks like a little box with some connector going into it.

If you didn't special order your truck with it the odds of you having it are about 0.

mountainears

Reaction score
Just curious....what does the vsim look like?
There is a picture of it in the document, page 4. Included the picture here. Of course its in my hand for this photo, but when you pull the drivers side panel under the steering wheel it is right there.

1666029490693.png

mountainears

Reaction score
Looks like a little box with some connector going into it.

If you didn't special order your truck with it the odds of you having it are about 0.
Agreed.... You can run the VIN of your truck of course to see if it is on your build sheet. But very easy to access.

d19r93

Reaction score
Hmm. I also have the VSIM connector already. I'm glad I saw this thread, because the dealer had NO idea what this was for, I saw it when I was cleaning my mat one day and it was just dangling down. The repair order just said "Relocated unknown grey connector to proper spot" so when I asked, the advisor said "I dunno, honestly." Glad to finally figure that out.

JABAR357

Reaction score
I do Have the VSIM module.

This is what I did to stop the 3 chirp horn when exiting my truck.

On the brown cable Pin 14 I wired to a relay (to Ground) triggered of my AUX Switch 1. This will silence the horn.

1667908973666.png

vzar47a

Reaction score
This should also take the horn off the canbus, so no more delay to sound the horn? And you can just give the horn a short little bump instead of the second or two minimum blast?

Users who are viewing this thread