Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Digital Rearview mirror with truck cap

Arcticzale

Reaction score
Just wanted to sign up so I could thank you guys for the research and posts on this, used a lot if it to get my digital rearview on my '21 operational again. I bought the factory CHMSL with rearview camera only (P68465996AA) from a salvage yard and integrated that into the back of my topper. Had to trim the assembly down and router out the fiberglass to get the angle correct. I really am glad to have the digital rearview camera back and look forward to using my switch with the other one I put on my 28' cargo trailer. Thank you all.
20230116_141110.jpg20230116_142209.jpg

20230126_211223.jpg

Last edited:

UglyViking

Reaction score
Quick question for anyone that has added the digital rear view mirror. How bad is the shake when attached to a cap/topper? I'm running an aftermarket unit right now, and I'm not sure if it's strictly the mount or image stabilization, but it's got some bad shake.

Arcticzale

Reaction score
I have zero shake, it's a very stable image.
Quick question for anyone that has added the digital rear view mirror. How bad is the shake when attached to a cap/topper? I'm running an aftermarket unit right now, and I'm not sure if it's strictly the mount or image stabilization, but it's got some bad shake.

nchristopher1126

Reaction score
The camera that you are holding in your hand, part number 68448640AA, is the exact same camera that is used for both the camera in the CHMSL and the one used inside the camera housing of the mopar tow mode camera kit.
Will this camera fit the 2023 Ram 3500 Limited with the digital rearview camera?

CortexM0

Reaction score

bullmack

Reaction score
Absolutely. Happy to help out. Send me a PM and we'll work out the details.
Kenny - I'd love one of you mounts but I have a 2023 Ram 1500 and my understanding is that the camera has changed to a different shape. I have the camera - any chance you can make it work in your housing or do a housing for the 2023's. It would install on my ARE topper.

kpecks

Reaction score
Kenny - I'd love one of you mounts but I have a 2023 Ram 1500 and my understanding is that the camera has changed to a different shape. I have the camera - any chance you can make it work in your housing or do a housing for the 2023's. It would install on my ARE topper.
I will take a look! Thanks for letting me know and ill keep this thread updated.

pmjohnson2011

Reaction score
Kenny, I would like to purchase one of your camera mounts. Please PM me so I can get you my shipping details and send you the $.
Thank you.

bullmack

Reaction score
Please note: My truck does not have then Trailer Tow feature thus I do not have a connection at the rear bumper.

I just finished relocating the feed for the digital Rear View Mirror from the CHMSL to an ARE Topper on my 2023 Ram 1500 Limited. I choose to leave the camera in the CHMSL and purchased a new camera for the topper. It was pretty simple although I did use an aftermarket shop that specialized in electronic car goodies to route the main cable. I was pinched for time and they do this every day so would know the best places to route the cable. We choose to connect to the factory cable at the CHMSL. We had to slide the topper back about 3' to have room for a person to be in the truck bed and access the CHMSL at which point you 1) Unscrew the brake light assembly from the cab, 2) unplug the female connector from the CHMSL camera and plug in your new cable. 2) Route the new cable from inside the cab to under the truck and to the back of your truck bed. The main cable was brought into the bed at the driver side rear corner of the bed which is where the topper electrical wiring had also been run. As other members have done I choose to add a connection in the truck bed in the event the topper ever needed to come off.

I did the rest of the installation. I choose to route the camera cable through a hole in the topper that I drilled directly under the camera housing. My thinking was that the 3M VSB tape will seal water out but, just in case, I added a wire grommet for the hole and also added some silicone. This cable was 6' long and inside the topper is simply followed the OEM topper brake light wires under the headliner. The parts I used were:
- the 3D housing developed by member kpecks. $85
- Camera (Ford part number 68448640AA. $104 online from Mopar parts)
- 20' main cable (your length could be different) from Ebay. RFC100 Fakra Z Female to Fakra C Male
- 6' secondary cable (your length could be different) from Ebay. RFC100 Fakra Z Female to Fakra C Male
- 3M VSB double sided tape from Amazon

Attachments

• IMG_0565.jpeg
    IMG_0565.jpeg
    511.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

TylerI406

Reaction score
Do you have a source for this? I ask because the picture on the Trucks website shows a view that would lead one to believe it’s mounted on the tailgate.

Have someone sit inside and go cover up the camera with your finger…. I’m 100% sure it’s in the cab break light.

bullmack

Reaction score
Have someone sit inside and go cover up the camera with your finger…. I’m 100% sure it’s in the cab break light.
It's in the CHMSL. Cameras in the tailgate are usually in the latch trim and turn on only when you are in reverse. This entire thread is about the digital rear view mirrors that operate as a conventional mirror and can also be switched t a digital display from a camera mounted in the CHMSL at the rear of the cab. This allows the driver to monitor traffic behind him or his trailer while driving down the road. It's a great feature but when you put a topper on your truck bed it blocks the camera. For trucks with a topper it's also very difficult to see anything in a mirror that is looking through 3 sets of glass. Other members before have trail blazed ways to relocate a camera to the rear roof of their toppers. The exact method and parts needed for this workaround depends greatly on the year of your truck. And yes, the topper manufactures need to incorporate the rear camera feature into their toppers!

P.S. When I turn off my truck the digital mirror stays in whatever mode it was previously in.

Last edited:

F18Sailor

Reaction score
I pinged kpecks for a mount, unfortunately he appears to have dropped offline. I'm working on a replicating his effort, specifically for a RAM 1500 and Leer truck cap, so if anyone needs a mount, ping me. I'll probably post the design files as well, just in case I go quiet down the road.

bullmack

Reaction score
I pinged kpecks for a mount, unfortunately he appears to have dropped offline. I'm working on a replicating his effort, specifically for a RAM 1500 and Leer truck cap, so if anyone needs a mount, ping me. I'll probably post the design files as well, just in case I go quiet down the road.
Kevin's design was for an ARE and was curved front to back on the underside. I have a 2023 Ram 1500 also with an ARE but it turned out that my cap needed a flat bottomed housing. He altered his design and printed a housing with a flat bottom for me. This was all in late August. I've attached a photo of the curved bottom housing.

Attachments

• Photo_Hsg_Side.jpeg
    Photo_Hsg_Side.jpeg
    292.9 KB · Views: 18

kpecks

Reaction score
I’m still here. I don’t recall seeing a message from you but happy to help. I don’t have the 23 updated camera housing designed and built yet but it’s in the works.

F18Sailor

Reaction score
I redesigned the part so it fits the curve of a LEER truck cap. I'm using the 2022 camera. Also, I opted to use 3x M3x25mm 316SS fasteners to attach the camera to the fairing, and went lower profile (cleaner aerodynamically) on the fairing. I'm printing mine in white ASA (UV resistant) and will prime/paint to match the truck. I will be happy to print more if people are looking for a LEER-specific camera mount/fairing.

1700676527281.png

Prototype without the curve for the topper:

IMG_9477.jpg

IMG_9478.jpg

At least in my case, I am more than likely going to drill a hole in the topper, under the fairing, and snake the wire in that way. The LEER topper has a larger radius at the top rear corner, and the existing light is further from the top, so more wire would be exposed if I did this using kpecks method. Still, I added the wire guide just in case.

For me, during the installation:

1) I ran a long RG58 cable (30', but 25' would have worked nicely) from the back of the cab (behind the rear seats) to the back of the truck, snaked the wire up to where the light connection for the topper is.

2) I removed the factory light bar/camera from the rear of the truck. Then I ran an extension cable (10', but if I were to do it again I would use a 7' cable) from the mirror side and the camera side down the side panel on the right of my truck, terminating behind this panel. In hindsight I would just run the cables to under the rear seat for easier access. I did this while soundproofing the rear cab of my truck, so the rear seats were out, as was the side panel in question.

3) By doing this, if I ever decide to remove the topper, I can simply plug the factory camera back in.

Attachments

• IMG_9477.jpg
    IMG_9477.jpg
    927.1 KB · Views: 7

Blowenblu

Reaction score
Here is the set up I came up with. I actually slid camera into a small lens with a rubber o ring so camera wasn't exposed to the weather. Cameras wire will plug right into the
back of rear bumper camera plug. And I have this cap up for sell if anyone is interested. Bought a 5th wheel and no longer need it. Its a 2022 ARE for long bed.
Delmonico RED. fully loaded with all the options. Got all most $4,000 invested.
Selling for $2,500.

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 41
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 42

NorCal--3500

Reaction score
Here is the set up I came up with. I actually slid camera into a small lens with a rubber o ring so camera wasn't exposed to the weather. Cameras wire will plug right into the
back of rear bumper camera plug. And I have this cap up for sell if anyone is interested. Bought a 5th wheel and no longer need it. Its a 2022 ARE for long bed.
Delmonico RED. fully loaded with all the options. Got all most $4,000 invested.
Selling for $2,500.
Where did you find the housing?

F18Sailor

Reaction score
I was going to ask the same! Slick housing, along with the lens seal concept!

Blowenblu

Reaction score
Where did you find the housing?
Its just a housing from the antennas you see on top of all the cars. Google Shark Fin Antenna. All types and sizes to pick from. Then just tear out the cheap antenna that's in side and your good to go. Have to get a little creative mounting the cameras. The lens I used to slide the camera in was actually from the little projection cameras that you can buy that mounts under your doors and when you open them it shines your cars logo on the ground at night. (not exact one but example in pic)

Attachments

• shark fin.JPG
    shark fin.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 31
  • door logo.JPG
    door logo.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 30

Users who are viewing this thread