Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Death of Diesel

mcarey

Reaction score
I get my fuel from a overhead tank so all I need is Sir Fig Newton and the power from my wrist. ;)
While jealous, the vast majority of us would have better luck charging an EV with a generator than getting fuel during a legitimate blackout scenario.

ACEd

Reaction score
This is an awesome rumor to get started! Too bad only 2% of us would actually buy a manual transmission (at least based on previous Ram manual transmission sales)..............
I heard the 2023 HD were all electric with 4 individual wheel motors controlled by a master computer powered by solar cells with regenerative braking and a gas powered generator as backup. Speeds limited to 55 mph to conserve energy and increase range to 200 miles per charge. Payload reduced to 1000 lb due to battery weight.

Basser53

Reaction score
I heard the 2023 HD were all electric with 4 individual wheel motors controlled by a master computer powered by solar cells with regenerative braking and a gas powered generator as backup. Speeds limited to 55 mph to conserve energy and increase range to 200 miles per charge. Payload reduced to 1000 lb due to battery weight.
Not in 23 but it's comming...

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
Also an underbody charger so it will charge on Gov Whitmers 1 mile of road charger, like a cellphone.

Texasram1

Reaction score
Also an underbody charger so it will charge on Gov Whitmers 1 mile of road charger, like a cellphone.
I work in the ev space and it blows my mind everyday. None of it makes sense.
Its part of the reason for me ordering the new rig and it being an oil burner. The overreach on HD trucks is coming.

Last edited:

Basser53

Reaction score
We cast engine blocks and transmissions were I work . I'm just hoping my job is around long enough for me to retire..

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
Electric Ram

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220219-082853_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220219-082853_Chrome.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 29

DelRed22

Reaction score

I understand the sarcasm but this is a legit test vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ACEd

Reaction score
I understand the sarcasm but this is a legit test vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very interesting - great on the motors and control software but thats the easy part - the 5 main weaknesses of any electric vehicle were kind of glossed over.
1. Batteries = Energy Density, Weight, Location, Cost, Safety, & Battery Production Issues (Rare Metals Mining / Hazmat / Waste)
2. Range / Payload / Tow Capacity
3. Recharging Time
4. Recharging Stations (electric grid to feed and where their power comes - solar too weak currently? & not good if from fossil fuel)
5. Battery Life / Logistics & Cost of Removal & Replacement / Recycling of Hazmat

boojimdi

Reaction score
Very interesting - great on the motors and control software but thats the easy part - the 5 main weaknesses of any electric vehicle were kind of glossed over.
1. Batteries = Energy Density, Weight, Location, Cost, Safety, & Battery Production Issues (Rare Metals Mining / Hazmat / Waste)
2. Range / Payload / Tow Capacity
3. Recharging Time
4. Recharging Stations (electric grid to feed and where their power comes - solar too weak currently? & not good if from fossil fuel)
5. Battery Life / Logistics & Cost of Removal & Replacement / Recycling of Hazmat
I'm sure when they went from a horse drawn carriage to a motorized vehicle people probably said the same thing about the "Horseless carriage", no gas stations, leaked oil all over the place, not reliable and they got stuck everywhere. But fast forward 100 years and we can't live without them, there are growing pains with every advancement, some work and some don't. Not saying electric is the end all but you can see the advancement that the automotive world has made in just 10 years, battery life, charging stations and the the whole makeup of the materials that now are used to make a battery. The reason we have such well made vehicles today are because there was advancement in technology, just saying

Texasram1

Reaction score
I'm sure when they went from a horse drawn carriage to a motorized vehicle people probably said the same thing about the "Horseless carriage", no gas stations, leaked oil all over the place, not reliable and they got stuck everywhere. But fast forward 100 years and we can't live without them, there are growing pains with every advancement, some work and some don't. Not saying electric is the end all but you can see the advancement that the automotive world has made in just 10 years, battery life, charging stations and the the whole makeup of the materials that now are used to make a battery. The reason we have such well made vehicles today are because there was advancement in technology, just saying
You still pay a premium for an electric vehicle that takes hours to charge, has less range, has no useful way to recycle the traction battery, works poorly in the cold or heat, and we have no infrastructure to support the mass adoption of them, but ok.

ACEd

Reaction score
As an engineer who worked on an Electric Vehicle Project in 1970, those were the problems we could not fix then even starting with a clean sheet of paper and using Aerospace Engineering design / materials to cut vehicle weights - and back then we were not yet concerned that much with the Hazmat issues related to Production and Disposal of Batteries. Advances in last 52 years - certainly many major advances - particularly in battery technology (energy density & life improved but not enough yet). And we still have to solve the 5 problems above. Better option at the time (negating the Safety issues) was Hydrogen Fueled Cars.

ACEd

Reaction score
You still pay a premium for an electric vehicle that takes hours to charge, has less range, has no useful way to recycle the traction battery, works poorly in the cold or heat, and we have no infrastructure to support the mass adoption of them, but ok.
Agree - you may be able to address some of the problems I listed, but the heart of the problem is WHERE does the energy come from to charge the EVs. If we are still forced to rely on fossil fuels to produce sufficient energy (neglecting power grid issues for the moment = grids already at or exceeding generation capacity, wiring to local Fill-Up Stations, etc) EVs have not really solved any problems. Back in the 1970 time frame that was much less of an issue because we would have a surplus of Nuclear Power (but we know how that solved our Energy problems)

Admin - sorry for the rant - probably need to move this off this thread - can you help transferring to a New thread

Texasram1

Reaction score
Agree - you may be able to address some of the problems I listed, but the heart of the problem is WHERE does the energy come from to charge the EVs. If we are still forced to rely on fossil fuels to produce sufficient energy (neglecting power grid issues for the moment = grids already at or exceeding generation capacity, wiring to local Fill-Up Stations, etc) EVs have not really solved any problems. Back in the 1970 time frame that was much less of an issue because we would have a surplus of Nuclear Power (but we know how that solved our Energy problems)

Admin - sorry for the rant - probably need to move this off this thread - can you help transferring to a New thread
Oh, I know.

Electric Cars are coming, but where will they be going without more electricity being produced?

Lets crunch some numbers.

1 gallon of gasoline = 33.41 kWh
2017: ave daily US fuel demand was 391,710,000 gallons, or 142,974,150,000 annual gallons

If we switched to 100% electric vehicles and converted all gasoline demand to electric demand, the grid would need to support 4,776,766,351,500 (142,974,150,000x33.41) additional kWh per year.

In 2020 all 94 commercial nuclear reactors in the US produced a combined 790,000,000,000 kWh of energy. Therefore to meet the new demand we would need to build 568 new nuclear plants (assuming average production of 790,000,000,000/94 = 8,404,255,319 kWh).

ACEd

Reaction score
I ordered a Mustang Mach-E in the same week I ordered my 2500 Limited. Electric is here, and it finally makes practical sense, even ignoring environmental issues/benefits. Compared to other small crossover vehicles, the Mach-E was MUCH more fun to drive (a center of gravity within an inch of a real mustang helps a ton there, as does 0-60 in 4.8 seconds on the mid range model I got, the GT is even faster) had more technology, more room inside, and when you factor in gas was cheaper than the other comparables. 270 miles is more than enough range to cover 98% of my driving, and for the rest I can charge 200 miles in about half an hour at a DC fast charger, of which there are many and 5 billion dollars more of them going in in the next couple years.

That being said, for towing it isn't there yet, which is why I ordered an ICE truck at the same time, for the horse trailer. But it is coming, and it is coming fast. Most companies are phasing out all ICE vehicles by 2035.
But WHERE is your electricity coming from? and that is a 2 part question - at least the first you can answer and it will help me understand current EVs
1. Do you have a charging station in your garage? If so, how much power does it require? Did you have to update your Electric Panel to handle additional load? Is there a single standard connection for all EVs? How long does it take to fully charge your EV? - Or do you have to go to a Fill-Up Station before you head out on a trip?
2. Second and probably harder to answer - How is your power to charge the EV produced? Solar? Wind? Nuclear? Fossil Fuels? How efficient is the production and transfer of that energy?

thothtp

Reaction score
But WHERE is your electricity coming from? and that is a 2 part question - at least the first you can answer and it will help me understand current EVs
1. Do you have a charging station in your garage? If so, how much power does it require? Did you have to update your Electric Panel to handle additional load? Is there a single standard connection for all EVs? How long does it take to fully charge your EV? - Or do you have to go to a Fill-Up Station before you head out on a trip?
2. Second and probably harder to answer - How is your power to charge the EV produced? Solar? Wind? Nuclear? Fossil Fuels? How efficient is the production and transfer of that energy?
1) I don't have it yet, but 240v outlet in my garage, using the included charger. You can also charge with a standard 110v outlet. I didn't have to update my panel, house was built in the 80s with 200amp service. There is a standard for EV's, CSS, but Tesla uses its own proprietary - however you can buy a simple adaptor for teslas to use CSS. On 240v it takes around 10 hours to fully charge, 110 is much slower. Considering an average of 33 miles per day, I will need to plug it in once a week, but will probably do more. The battery takes care of life management on its own, so no need to worry about charging too much, and should last well over 300k miles. It is a 3 second process as I exit the vehicle to take the plug off the wall and socket it in, on my way between the car door and the door in to the house (socket is just ahead of the drivers side door)
2) Hydroelectric. Western NY.

But like I said, I didn't buy an EV to save the world - I bought it because it was a better car.

ACEd

Reaction score
1) I don't have it yet, but 240v outlet in my garage, using the included charger. You can also charge with a standard 110v outlet. I didn't have to update my panel, house was built in the 80s with 200amp service. There is a standard for EV's, CSS, but Tesla uses its own proprietary - however you can buy a simple adaptor for teslas to use CSS. On 240v it takes around 10 hours to fully charge, 110 is much slower. Considering an average of 33 miles per day, I will need to plug it in once a week, but will probably do more. The battery takes care of life management on its own, so no need to worry about charging too much, and should last well over 300k miles. It is a 3 second process as I exit the vehicle to take the plug off the wall and socket it in, on my way between the car door and the door in to the house (socket is just ahead of the drivers side door)
2) Hydroelectric. Western NY.

But like I said, I didn't buy an EV to save the world - I bought it because it was a better car.
Thanks for response - it clarifies a lot for me - the 10 hours for full charge at 240v or longer at 110v would be highly undesirable for me - but if you are looking at a short daily commute or just to grocery, it would be OK - not so much for distance travel but good for short hops.

And I forgot HydroElectric - so you are fortunate to be good on both ends - unfortunately no HydroElectric in most of country.

Users who are viewing this thread