Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Death of Diesel

rampulse

Reaction score
Lots of Tesla owners would disagree with you.

That said, everyone has a different perspective of "practical."

I own 2 Tesla’s and I’m selling one to get a Diesel back in the household. Road trips are not fun in them with a family.

Cold weather zaps the battery.

Any head wind zaps the battery.

Add mountains and it multiplies (you can make up some on the way down during regen)

A typical 5 hour trip will take closer to 7 with charging.

You won’t be able to tow anything legit for a long time. My 315 mile range is now 270. 15% battery degradation after 3 years. 270 is also pipe dream doing 75mph.

In the city sure it’s great. Waking up with a “full tank” is nice but these aren’t for everyone thats for sure. I personally think a diesel hybrid would be amazing.

Oh and I live in So Cal.

Power247

Reaction score
I own 2 Tesla’s and I’m selling one to get a Diesel back in the household. Road trips are not fun in them with a family.

Add mountains and it multiplies (you can make up some on the way down during regen)

You won’t be able to tow anything legit for a long time. My 315 mile range is now 270. 15% battery degradation after 3 years. 270 is also pipe dream doing 75mph.

In the city sure it’s great. Waking up with a “full tank” is nice but these aren’t for everyone thats for sure. I personally think a diesel hybrid would be amazing.

Oh and I live in So Cal.
This is exactly why I just can't pull the trigger on an electric vehicle.

Greg
2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score

Oh and I live in So Cal.
The truth shall set us free…..maybe something governments should adopt.:oops:

rampulse

Reaction score
This is exactly why I just can't pull the trigger on an electric vehicle.

Greg
2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

I will say it’s perfect for in town and between towns. Short hops and commutes are the bread and butter. Stretching it out, if you only have to charge once it’s not a huge deal.

I lost the versatility and that was my biggest complaint. I learned our capability or lack there of being at home last year. I know what a 6.7 3500 can do and that will have us covered as a family going forward whether they stop selling here or not.

gimmie11s

Reaction score

Oh and I live in So Cal.

An honest Tesla owner!

We have a few folks at work to drive them. As you point out, they are great work commuters. Especially if your work (like mine) allows you to plug in and charge for free while at work. That's pretty hard to beat.

But if they are honest (like you), they will tell you they dont get 300+ miles to a charge which means venturing too far out of town is a no-no.

Trooper

Reaction score
An honest Tesla owner!

We have a few folks at work to drive them. As you point out, they are great work commuters. Especially if your work (like mine) allows you to plug in and charge for free while at work. That's pretty hard to beat.

But if they are honest (like you), they will tell you they dont get 300+ miles to a charge which means venturing too far out of town is a no-no.
I drive a Tesla to and from work each day, free charging fr me and much easier to use as a run around vehicle. I am also in SoCal with likely the highest fuel costs so this is great. Oh, and they are super fast :cool:
That said, my 2500 CTD is not going anywhere, it is my go to for anything not commuting and I would never replace that with anything but another diesel should I ever need to.

DesertChicken

Reaction score
So you buy an electric vehicle with a reported 300 mile range, sounds pretty good…. Except they don’t take into account that it is recommended to maximize battery life that you should not to charge to over 80% capacity. So that puts you at 240 miles. Then they also recommend that again to maximize battery life that you shouldn’t run the battery below 20% capacity. So that now puts you at a total of 180 miles. Then subtract 1.5 to 3% loss of capacity per year and in five years (you may have paid it off by then) and you’re down to about 160 mile range. This may cut it for driving to work, but what is life if you can’ really go somewhere!

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Yes that’s it in a nut shell…as the old timers say. Many people where I live out in the sticks commute more than that daily to get to work.:oops:

Greg10yes

Reaction score
I have never understood why they don’t push natural gas, we have over 300 years worth, the by product of combustion is water vapor, there is a nationwide distribution infrastructure and you can convert a gas engine to tun on natural gas for under $1,000.

GPurcell01

Reaction score
I have never understood why they don’t push natural gas, we have over 300 years worth, the by product of combustion is water vapor, there is a nationwide distribution infrastructure and you can convert a gas engine to tun on natural gas for under $1,000.
This. We had a client who's sole business model was converting semis and box trucks to LNG. There's two hurtles that are keeping it "in the shadows". The infrastructure is lacking and you lose a pretty good chunk of power output from the motor.

MikeXM

Reaction score
You are confusing with hydrogen. Natural gas is either produced from fossil fuel (not renewable) or biofuel. And both still both produce carbon emission.
Hydrogen is considered a green solution, but you still need to produce electricity to make it. So unless it is solar, wind or hydro, it is not that green. But yes, the byproduct is indeed water.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
I’m going to build me an old timey steam powered some-bich and rooooll down the hi-way :eek:.Might have to find a boiler maker to help me out as my welds don’t seem to hold water little loan the hot stuff:oops:. They are converting the coal powered power plants around these parts to natural gas. Is it soo much better??? I don’t know. The coal here is pretty much laying on top of the ground ready to scoop but the gas has to be pounded out of the ground and piped hundreds of miles:rolleyes:. Any-who rant over and no more coffee for me today.

Nick

Reaction score
While I have no doubt the US will go there eventually (especially the way the politics are going) It's going to be a long long time before it happens here. Completely different use cases between the large US and tiny France.
Tiny France has a much more realistic view of Nuclear power than the politicians that run this country . Nuclear technology has moved to a much higher plane with smaller more efficient power plants and shorter life spans for spent rods . Wasting time and resources on wind mills and Solar panels which have a much shorter life span than Nuclear power plants is spinning your wheels .3 million solar panels or 2000 wind turbines equal the power out put of one zero emission Nuclear plant. They are dependent on sun or wind to produce. extrapolate that out for the whole country and you are talking thousands and thousands of acres of unreliable power that would need god knows how many storage batteries . We would do well to emulate tiny France at least they deal in reality of what reliable energy is

Users who are viewing this thread